Sand Sifting Gobies: Are they worth keeping? Your Favorite?

Sand Sifting Gobies: Are they worth keeping in a reef tank?

• YES

Votes: 450 53.3%
  • NO

Votes: 81 9.6%
  • Mixed Feelings

Votes: 195 23.1%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 103 12.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 1.8%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This week were going to be focusing on Gobies and Blennies! Today I wanted to start us off by beginning a discussion on Sand Sifting Gobies.

Sand Sifting Gobies plow through the tank substrate, sifting/straining algae, detritus and uneaten food from the sand. This not only removes unwanted nitrate producing substances, but it also stirs and aerates the substrate (very important for deep sand beds), releasing toxic gases - TheSprucePets

1. What's your experience with sand sifting gobies? (pros and cons)

2. What are your most favorite sand sifting gobies?

Yellow Watchman Goby image via @rboutin111
IMG_6291_1.jpg

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Assuming you're talking about shrimp gobies, like the Yellow Watchman, and not something like an Orange Spot Goby which doesn't typically create a cave) I have some experience with them, and bar a few quirks I and my guests love them. The symbiotic relationship between them is so fascinating to watch, and lots of my guests are drawn to them out of how unusual that relationship is. They also will ask what that loud popping sound is and are amazed to hear it is the pistol shrimp, so it's definitely been a draw to the tank. I also just love the digging behavior, so that's also a cool bonus.

The only thing I don't really love is keeping a check on their activities... I let mine settle in before I added corals in the area but I've heard several stories about smaller frags especially being buried if they're in or around the excavation site, and I've definitely found a few missing plugs as bricks in the shrimp's newest cave entrance... but with some gluing and/or a watchful eye it really isn't a problem. It's a unique bond that I think, tank setup allowing, should be a staple in most tanks!

As far as "actual" sand sifting gobies... not a fan lol. Always looking to bury corals, and I've read they're actually somewhat hard to keep

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a complete setup about a year ago that came with a redhead goby among other things. I probably would not buy one of these on my own, as they add more bio load and you don't see them super often but I have enjoyed having the little redhead, and I think it keeps my sand bed cleaner too!

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mixed feelings. I think certain gobies can make great pets in most tanks they are housed in. I do NOT agree with how the industry pushes most gobies out as easy to care for beginner fish. These fish love to jump, can strip sand beds of life, then starve. Some can be so timid that any type of traffic near the tank will cause them to stay hidden and stressed, leading to possible early death. They are beautiful though and have lovely facial expressions. They can even seem to have spunky personalities. If you get one to pair with a shrimp then you will surely have a great eye candy in your tank.

Toob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asks about sand sifting gobies but include a pic of a yellow watchman?

Anyway I have a Diamond Goby that is really interesting and does a nice job with the sand. Then I watched him eat my live baby Mandarin…now I don’t trust him.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my decorated gobies (Istigobius decoratus). I have 1 in all my larger tanks. They sift sand, but do not carry it around when they sift. I thought the one in my 180 (first one I got) was a rarity, but decided to buy another for the nem tank, as the sand needed a little help. It did the same thing. Grabs a mouthful and sifts right there. Does not raise up and dump it, build mounds or anything. From there, I put one in the mangrove lagoon and then in my 90. Love them. They also hop up on the rocks and move all over the tank. They do not just stay at the sand, so makes it nice.

Quick shot of the one in my nem tank.

tempImageoyqbbT.png

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it stays on the bottom like a orange spot / diamond goby then, YES! They rock and do a good job.

If it swims in the open water like a yellow head goby, OH heck no! Stupid things will cover every inch of rock and coral with sand. I have never wanted to murder a fish so bad in my life.

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes some can be very messy, like the YWG & tiger pistol shrimp; mine got so big they now live in the LFS display tank.
I do have 2 pairs of Yasha Gobies/Randalls pistol pairs but I wouldn't consider them sand sifting even though they burrow. My twin spot signal goby is the perfect sand sifter-moves the sand but doesn't really throw alot. But they can be hard to keep if you don't have a mature sandbed. Mine also eats frozen.
IMG_9026.jpg

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure...but only if the fish is pleasing anyway. I miss my YWG/shrimp pair and will replace next tank. I wouldn't get one just for specific sand sifting purposes. Even less likely if they're relying only sand sifted organisms for food. Just too much worry there with smaller tanks.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely mixed feelings here. I haven’t had much luck keeping them past 6months. When my last died I was glad I did not have to catch it. Big fella was covering a lot of corals in sand. Normally not a problem but my tank was going through nutrient swings, so the added stress to my coral from the goby was frustrating to watch.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No to sand sifters. Every one I've ever had has suffered the same fate. They seem to love the challenge of carpet surfing. Even with lids mine have found a way to end up crispy on the floor. Just lost a pearly jawfish yesterday that somehow jumped and got through the screen. I figured I would try once more when I got him and it didn't end well.

Heuristic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know why anyone would dislike something like a shrimp goby, but could see people not liking things like a Diamond watchman goby as unless you get course sand, it'll fly all over your tank all day, thus agitating corals.

Here's mine. Love watching him and the Tiger Pistol Shrimp work together, so do the kids.

1E6A1101-Edit.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back