Sand Sifting Gobies: Are they worth keeping? Your Favorite?

Sand Sifting Gobies: Are they worth keeping in a reef tank?

• YES

Votes: 450 53.3%
  • NO

Votes: 81 9.6%
  • Mixed Feelings

Votes: 195 23.1%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 103 12.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 1.8%

• Total voters

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why people don’t like sandsifters. If it is your reason as to why you don’t like them then just don’t keep coral on the sand, it’s a simple fix. No matter what species your sand dwelling goby is, Valenciennea, Koumansetta, Signigobius, Stonogobiops, Cryptocentrus they will all burry coral. Especially if you have the cryptocentrus/stonogobiops gobies with pistol shrimps.
image.jpg

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a diamond goby in my 125 and it really made a big difference. I was having issues with my sand turning brown with random algae and waste build up. Since I added just the 1 goby it really does an exceptional job at keeping every inch of the substrate clean.

I really enjoy watching him. I have a leopard wrasse that will following him around for hours hoping to get thrown a snack.

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing. Hands down on of my top 5 favorite fish. Could never get them into prepared food. Have tried a few pairs over the last 25 yrs. Any tips would be great.
When I saw him at the LFS he was active and seemed healthy. I make sure to get some food to the sand while feeding. Sometimes he even swims up a bit to catch some. I guess I got lucky with this one. I've had others and lost them too.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week were going to be focusing on Gobies and Blennies! Today I wanted to start us off by beginning a discussion on Sand Sifting Gobies.

Sand Sifting Gobies plow through the tank substrate, sifting/straining algae, detritus and uneaten food from the sand. This not only removes unwanted nitrate producing substances, but it also stirs and aerates the substrate (very important for deep sand beds), releasing toxic gases - TheSprucePets

1. What's your experience with sand sifting gobies? (pros and cons)

2. What are your most favorite sand sifting gobies?

Yellow Watchman Goby image via @rboutin111
IMG_6291_1.jpg
2 committed suicide together, found a small hole in behind my lid. Then I sealed in the aquarium and bought another. It was doing fine until I believe it tried to jump out, hit the lid, and broke its back. I don’t know if it is ethical to keep these guys.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I add any of those Goby along with a Bicolor Blenny? 33 gallon (125L) display.
You can add many gobies, I assume you want a sandsifter?
Here’s what you could have for sand dwellers in a 30g:
Cryptocentrus cinctus
Cryptocentrus leptocephalus
Stonogobiops yasha
Stonogobiops dracula
Stonogobiops nematodes
Callogobius amikami
Amblyeleotris aurora
Amblyeleotris randalli
Amblyeleotris wheeleri
Amblyeleotris guttatus

And now in terms of true sand sifters:
Koumansetta hectori
Koumansetta rainfordi
Signigobius biocellatus (Will need more researching)
Amblygobius phalaena
Amblygobius semicinctus

Brazilian Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add many gobies, I assume you want a sandsifter?
Here’s what you could have for sand dwellers in a 30g:
Cryptocentrus cinctus
Cryptocentrus leptocephalus
Stonogobiops yasha
Stonogobiops dracula
Stonogobiops nematodes
Callogobius amikami
Amblyeleotris aurora
Amblyeleotris randalli
Amblyeleotris wheeleri
Amblyeleotris guttatus

And now in terms of true sand sifters:
Koumansetta hectori
Koumansetta rainfordi
Signigobius biocellatus (Will need more researching)
Amblygobius phalaena
Amblygobius semicinctus
Thank you very much! I guess I'll go with the Amblyeleotris randalli

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much! I guess I'll go with the Amblyeleotris randalli
No problem! Amblyeleotris randalli is a sweet choice as he remains peaceful… Now I wonder if I should attempt a pair of yashas or a pair of one of my current gobies or stick to keeping them all seperate.

Willhersh34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sand sifter of choice is sold as a goby but is technically a blenny. I use engineer gobies in all 3 of my saltwater tanks. They do a good job of digging under the substrate…………which is precisely where my mixed feelings come in. They are territorial and end up sifting only one spot and if I’m not careful they destabilize live rock. Again the engineer is technically not a goby but they are sold that way and are very cool fish. Maybe that’s missing the point but those guys go in every tank I build.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sand sifter of choice is sold as a goby but is technically a blenny. I use engineer gobies in all 3 of my saltwater tanks. They do a good job of digging under the substrate…………which is precisely where my mixed feelings come in. They are territorial and end up sifting only one spot and if I’m not careful they destabilize live rock. Again the engineer is technically not a goby but they are sold that way and are very cool fish. Maybe that’s missing the point but those guys go in every tank I build.
I find it funny bout engineer “Gobies” they’re sold as blennies and gobies but actually, they’re neither of them and are their own separate family. In fact, it was once believed that these were closely related to eels.

pnubbs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week were going to be focusing on Gobies and Blennies! Today I wanted to start us off by beginning a discussion on Sand Sifting Gobies.

Sand Sifting Gobies plow through the tank substrate, sifting/straining algae, detritus and uneaten food from the sand. This not only removes unwanted nitrate producing substances, but it also stirs and aerates the substrate (very important for deep sand beds), releasing toxic gases - TheSprucePets

1. What's your experience with sand sifting gobies? (pros and cons)

2. What are your most favorite sand sifting gobies?

Yellow Watchman Goby image via @rboutin111
IMG_6291_1.jpg
I LOVE my diamond goby. He does a phenomenal job cleaning the sand and made so many caves and tunnels. He really made the tank look alive.

I did however had found him in the return pump chamber of my biocube 32, he jumped between the back wall and the lid ! Luckily I got him out quick and easy and got myself the fish saver guard in the back and I’ve never had that problem.

He gave my purple Firefish a little **** when she came into the tank bc she would go near his caves and he would nip at her but now they all get along :)

Ive heard horror stories of diamond gobies starving to death but mine eats frozen LRS food and I make sure to target feed him and he loves it so much so I’m hoping he loves a long time. He’s definitely the most lively fun fish to watch in the tank !

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pro: They're the best at keeping the substrate clean. I wouldn't have a tank without one.
Con: They like to surf the carpet.
I had a diamond goby do that! I dont think I iwll replace him either! I was so shocked that he jumped because he barely left the sand bed! Just to hard to feed as well! He would never come out until the end of feeding time and by then all the other fish were full so all he did was cause my nitrates to rise trying to keep him feed! Wasnt worth the trouble!

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also just had a watchman jump as well along with my diamond! Its shocking how they are so notorious for that and mine rarely left the sandbed!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its shocking how they are so notorious for that and mine rarely left the sandbed!
This is why I both love but also hate larger gobies, they seem unsuspecting but they will jump if they get half the chance. The species of Cryptocentrus and Valenciennea are notorious for this.

Last edited:

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, not worth the effort to feed as well! All thy did was make my nitrates go up! Its a shame because I love the cute little grumpy faces they have!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back