Sand Sifting Gobies: Are they worth keeping? Your Favorite?

Sand Sifting Gobies: Are they worth keeping in a reef tank?

• YES

Votes: 450 53.3%
  • NO

Votes: 81 9.6%
  • Mixed Feelings

Votes: 195 23.1%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 103 12.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 1.8%

• Total voters

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I add any of those Goby along with a Bicolor Blenny? 33 gallon (125L) display.
I just did (same size tank). My bicolor is the most territorial fish in the tank - he doesn't like anyone on "his" rocks, but ignores the sandbed. So hopefully they get along... so far, I haven't even seen the diamond goby since putting him in the tank though! I think he's dug out a cave behind the rocks. The only evidence he's still alive is the pile of sand he spit to the side of the tank, lol. Hoping he'll come out more when he's settled in.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck I think she was fake laughing but hey I’ll take it
Eh. I'll show it to my dad - he'll enjoy it, lol. He got me into the hobby when I was like 5. He got a kick out of a video I showed him of a YWG and pistol shrimp - the shrimp threw a shell and it landed on the goby. Goby wasn't impressed, lol!

Brazilian Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did (same size tank). My bicolor is the most territorial fish in the tank - he doesn't like anyone on "his" rocks, but ignores the sandbed. So hopefully they get along... so far, I haven't even seen the diamond goby since putting him in the tank though! I think he's dug out a cave behind the rocks. The only evidence he's still alive is the pile of sand he spit to the side of the tank, lol. Hoping he'll come out more when he's settled in.
The Bicolor Blenny will be my last addition in the tank

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I'm now the proud owner of a happy, healthy and curious rainford's goby who seems to be doing well with the other reef inhabitants. Very cool-looking fish.
Got any photos?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got any photos?
I wasn't able to get a photo of him today. He found the resident "new fish" cave and has decided to hang-out there (it extends back about 4" under the rock with maybe 0.5-0.75" height).

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 yellow watchman gobies and 1 sand sifting goby. I first added the 2 YWG after the tank was cycled. The larger YWG would harass the smaller YWG but now they have drawn their territorial lines. There have been minor incursions into the other's territory, but those incidents have been resolve with little to no warfare.

A year later, I added the SSG. The 2 YWG would harass the SSG. But the 2 YWG soon realized the SSG likes to dig burros and now they love him. When ever the SSG digs a hole, one of the YWG commandeers the hole and stands watch as the SSG digs. They no longer chance him around the tank.

I think these guys have great personalities. They provide me and my family a lot of entertainment.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another hilarious video showcasing how entertaining these fish can be. Enjoy.

The shrimpfish are probably there wondering “What is this guy doing… We could never get down to his level, Literally”

VanIsleReefTherapy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brand new to the hobby. Just got a Hector's Goby and I'm kind of wishing I hadn't. It's currently in my bare-bottom QT with a deep bowl of sand; it isn't interested in the sand yet, but is sifting through a detritus pile in a slow area under a rock. The tank is cycled, params are good, but I'm afraid it will starve now in such a young tank (3 months) with new sand. Debating taking it back. Everything in their care info simultaneously says easy to feed and yet also moderate care. I'm nervous now.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brand new to the hobby. Just got a Hector's Goby and I'm kind of wishing I hadn't. It's currently in my bare-bottom QT with a deep bowl of sand; it isn't interested in the sand yet, but is sifting through a detritus pile in a slow area under a rock. The tank is cycled, params are good, but I'm afraid it will starve now in such a young tank (3 months) with new sand. Debating taking it back. Everything in their care info simultaneously says easy to feed and yet also moderate care. I'm nervous now.
As long as you supplement it with pods and algae starts appearing you should be alright (Mine loves algae when it shows, especially Cyano Bacteria)

VanIsleReefTherapy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you supplement it with pods and algae starts appearing you should be alright (Mine loves algae when it shows, especially Cyano Bacteria)
Thanks for the encouragement. I killed the extra power head in my 13.5 Evo QT where it's currently hanging out. Made a huge difference. Now it's picking at the rocks, swimming all over, etc. I'm about to put some frozen brine in there to see if it will eat. I've also got pellets. I'll get pods the next time I go to lfs. The pic is cloudy because I stired up the sand quite a bit rearranging things so the goby will have shelter from the flow that's left from the stock pump.

Attachments

• 20220429_123304.jpg
    20220429_123304.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 43

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the encouragement. I killed the extra power head in my 13.5 Evo QT where it's currently hanging out. Made a huge difference. Now it's picking at the rocks, swimming all over, etc. I'm about to put some frozen brine in there to see if it will eat. I've also got pellets. I'll get pods the next time I go to lfs. The pic is cloudy because I stired up the sand quite a bit rearranging things so the goby will have shelter from the flow that's left from the stock pump.
I’ve noticed mine will sift the sand a ton at the start to make a burrow then they mainly go and peck the rocks more than they do the sand.

SkyDoodles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Diamond Goby...and he is very diligent in his cleaning, sifting and burrowing duties. It is evident by the tiny particles of sand always floating in our DT, which is my down side. It's funny to watch poofs of sand come flying out of his little Den though and I do like how clean the sand appears.
I'm pretty sure he killed our arrow crab though. Another downside.
The pic is not our goby, just a visual in case someone isn't sure what they look like.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220430-103029_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220430-103029_Chrome.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 41

VanIsleReefTherapy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed mine will sift the sand a ton at the start to make a burrow then they mainly go and peck the rocks more than they do the sand.
Yup, that's what mine is doing. She finally made a burrow in the back of the rock I put in the bowl - it has lots of tiny tunnels she can hide in.

She doesn't go for food, but she pecks at everything and I can't imagine she hasn't cleaned it up.

*fingers crossed*

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back