Sand sifting goby and goby/shrimp pair?

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about adding a goby/shrimp pair to my new 270g FOWLR tank due to their cool relationship with each other. I would also like to add a larger sand sifting goby after the sand bed matures to help keep it clean. Is there any aggression issues I need to be aware of as I plan this out?

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sand sifting gobies make a sandy mess and won’t replace actual tank maintenance. They don’t clean the sand. they eat critters that are in the sand in the wild. no critters will be in your sand. not recommend. a shrimp goby pair is fine but you need to run natural saltwater levels of specific gravity of 1.025-1.026 for it.

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I'm not looking to replace tank maintenance, I'm wanting the goby to turn over the upper portion of the sand bed. That does help with cleaning the sand as it helps to get detritus back into the water column to be filtered out.

Also, why would there not be any critters in the sand bed?

3sgterror

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow watchman / Randall shrimp pair and a diamond watchman goby in a Red Sea e260.

I have not seen any aggression problems at all between the two gobies. What I will say is I have only had both for about 3 months now, so my observation time is not long.

My yellow watchman is about half the size of the diamond, so maybe that contributes to it some.

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow watchman / Randall shrimp pair and a diamond watchman goby in a Red Sea e260.

I have not seen any aggression problems at all between the two gobies. What I will say is I have only had both for about 3 months now, so my observation time is not long.

My yellow watchman is about half the size of the diamond, so maybe that contributes to it some.
Thanks.
You'll be fine in a tank that size.
Thanks.

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sleeper banded and a watchman in my tank. The sleeper banded is completely passive. The watchman and sleeper banded completely ignore each other, but one of my tangs will dart at the sleeper banded every time it sees it.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back