Sand vs cc

mheath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 32 bio cube with 2 clowns and a wrasse some Zoas and a bubble tip. I was wondering how I could go about changing from the cc I have in my tank to live sand. I bought the tank already stocked and established with cc for a substrate. I hate it. My nitrates are a pain to deal with even with weekly 20 percent water changes. So how would I go about switching to sand and will it end up cycling my tank again and hurting my anemone ?

R0L0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to just vacuum out the cc and replace it with bought LIVE sand. It shouldn't have to recycle the tank if you have filter media with beneficial bacteria as well as live rock.

OP
OP
M

mheath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to just vacuum out the cc and replace it with bought LIVE sand. It shouldn't have to recycle the tank if you have filter media with beneficial bacteria as well as live rock.
Thank you! I wasn’t sure what to do. It’s a giant detritus trap and it just looks ugly and my nitrates are around 40 because of all the crap it is holding!

R0L0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I wasn’t sure what to do. It’s a giant detritus trap and it just looks ugly and my nitrates are around 40 because of all the crap it is holding!
When you do water changes do you vacuum the substrate?

OP
OP
M

mheath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you do water changes do you vacuum the substrate?
I do, but it doesn’t seem to do a whole lot for it. I’m getting the fluval vacuum today so I can vacuum it between water changes daily to keep everything at a minimum

R0L0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do, but it doesn’t seem to do a whole lot for it. I’m getting the fluval vacuum today so I can vacuum it between water changes daily to keep everything at a minimum
Yea that should work to keep the detritus down and keep nitrates lower

dferrant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would gradually remove the CC then gradually replace with sand once that is done.
Be sure not to ever cover over existing substrate with new substrate.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend only this way, it has a perfect track record.

if you slowly remove sand or remove it in the tank you risk a total fish kill, approx 5%-10% risk in my experience. That way above is about a thousand jobs with not one kill, it’s that tight.

key details: total tank disassembly 100%. Skip cycle reassembly same day, no bottle bac used, pre rinse new sand in tap water to complete cloud free status, not 1% of cloud in new sand, cloud free. It might take you two hours of straight tap rinsing the new sand to be cloud free, final rinse in ro, now sand is ready for swap

anticipates universal question: but wont the bacteria die? See the thread plus it’s outcome tracking.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back