Sanity check on plan of attack for dinos

brianbrennan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I wanted to put something out there to see if it made sense to people, or if there was something I might be missing while I'm planning to deal with a dino outbreak that I have going on. Some background, I have a 20g cube about 9 months old. Things have been fairly stable over the past few months, I haven't added anything for months. About 6 weeks ago I neglected a lot of my normal maintenance, for about 4 weeks or so. Things like changing the filter, water changes, etc. Normally I do ever week or other week, but I was happy to see that my tank was able to remain stable, albeit a bit dirty, throughout me not caring for it as much. I've since tried to get back on track for taking care of things. Since my tank had high nutrients for a while (I'm not sure the exact amount, but yesterday was around ~10ppm, about a week after a water change), I've had a slew of micro-fauna pop up in the tank. Lots of pineapple sponges, tube worms, etc. None seem to be much of a problem, but I'm bringing it up to show that the issue that I had for awhile was tank water that was TOO dirty. One of the things that came from this was that some Brown Hair Algae started to grow on my back wall, and largely cover it, which I'll get back to in a second.

A few months ago, I had an outbreak of dinos, pretty soon after my tank was cycled. Eventually the thing that really helped kill the dinos was a UV sterilizer that I got running in the sump of my AIO. Within two days my dinos were gone as if they never had been there. All I had to do was do some light cleaning of where the strands were to get them into the water column / through the filter and poof they disappeared. Flash forward to about a week ago. One of the things that I recently added to the tank as I've tried to sort of correct course with my husbandry is a better powerhead. I had one that had broken, and even before it broke I kept it on very low. The new one I've gotten I've really tried to get to a level where there's good agitation of the surface, and few dead spots around my tank. Part of that is that the back wall of my display tank is getting blasted with new flow. The brown hair algae that had been growing there is getting blow around now. Jump forward a few more days, I start to see dinoflagellates pop up again. Since the original outbreak I had, I keep an eye out for them just because they're so annoying, so I recognized it immediately. A long thing string, attached to coral but (at least at the start) not directly on areas where there are nematocytes. Always on very high flow areas. Eventually over a few days there have been a few more strands pop up, and I've noticed a few strands on the back wall of my display tank actually.

I had mentioned the brown hair algae that had been growing on that back wall of my tank. Like I said, I have a pretty good eye now for dinoflagellates, so the algae on the back wall did not raise alarm bells to me. It looked distinctly different from dinos, no bubbles, no single long threads, didn't disappear at night. I have a sea urchin that likes to munch on it. But I'm wondering if that algae has served as a sort of... natural refugium for where my dinoflagellates have kept dormant. To my eye, the brown algae looks distinctly different from dinos, but now there are a few strands growing out of the normal coverage of algae, in my mind due to the new powerhead I have blasting it. I'm wondering if essentially I've spiked a new dino outbreak simply by kicking them back into the water column of my display tank. And I'm wondering if I need to clean my back wall of my tank to get the source of them (or at least if they're hiding there, the largest clump of dinos) to go through the UV sterilizer. I recently just serviced my UV sterilizer, the pump is working and it has a new bulb in it so it should be working as expected, which last time was enough to wipe the dinos out. My only theory is that the dinos in my display tank aren't getting put through it since they're simply churning around the display tank. For mechanical filtration, I have no GFO or charcoal, just some filter floss

I attached a rough sketch of what my tank looks like, what I think is the waterflow, and why this might be happening. But anyway, I just wanted a sanity check before I go and manually siphon tons of algae that this logic makes sense to people's experience.

TL;DR

* Dirty water, dinos definitely have competition but seem to be thriving despite this
* Seem to have popped up once high flow was introduced into the tank
* Are almost exclusively in high flow areas, though I've seen it grow fast enough in the past for that to change
* Does it make sense that they've been dormant in algae that's been largely undisturbed for a while, and have recently cropped up due to said algae being agitated
* Does manually cleaning as much as possible make sense so as to get them into the water column and past the UV sterilizer, so it can do its job.

dino outbreak.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Generally when nutrients (phos/no3) bottom out and intense light especially near a window will be a trigger
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15% IF you have light dependant corals) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

OP
OP
B

brianbrennan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally when nutrients (phos/no3) bottom out and intense light especially near a window will be a trigger
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15% IF you have light dependant corals) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly
I've done pretty much all of this in the past to no avail, the thing that has killed dinos before has been my UV sterilization. What I'm curious about is why they would have resurged when nitrates and phosphates have not bottomed out. And my theory is that they physically have changed where they have resided due to being... idk dormant among other algae, and then kicked into more high flow and bright areas, being able to grow without hitting the UV filter as their just in the display tank. I think my question might ending up being moot because today after removing them with a turkey baster from the coral they have been coming back in much less earnest today, which lends me to believe that simply removing them so they can pass through the UV filter via the water column is enough to kill them.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've done pretty much all of this in the past to no avail, the thing that has killed dinos before has been my UV sterilization. What I'm curious about is why they would have resurged when nitrates and phosphates have not bottomed out. And my theory is that they physically have changed where they have resided due to being... idk dormant among other algae, and then kicked into more high flow and bright areas, being able to grow without hitting the UV filter as their just in the display tank. I think my question might ending up being moot because today after removing them with a turkey baster from the coral they have been coming back in much less earnest today, which lends me to believe that simply removing them so they can pass through the UV filter via the water column is enough to kill them.
You may have had some lingering in sump or sand bed.
What test kits are you using?

OP
OP
B

brianbrennan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API test kits, I think thats exactly what happened, having some lingering. But my theory is that they were lingering amongst other algae I had on my back wall, that then was disturbed and free to flow around the display once I added a new, stronger powerhead. I've cleared off the strands I've seen today and they haven't come back, though they did come back yesterday within almost an hour.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
API test kits, I think thats exactly what happened, having some lingering. But my theory is that they were lingering amongst other algae I had on my back wall, that then was disturbed and free to flow around the display once I added a new, stronger powerhead. I've cleared off the strands I've seen today and they haven't come back, though they did come back yesterday within almost an hour.
Sounds like it

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back