Sara’s IM 25g Lagoon

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I failed at getting water today. The water store near me wasn’t open as it closed today in lieu of Jan 1. But hubby made the frame for the sump to sit on. I am going to look for some peel & stick wood grain to cover it.

I put the dry rock in - really wanted to make sure it fit, even though I tripled checked measurements as I built. My plan was to add the rock before the sand so it’s on a stable base. So now I wait .

And I put on the lights.

I actually really like the size and footprint of the tank. I don’t think I would want a tall tank again.

CCA9D58F-4D5A-4DB8-87AE-CD96401880F5.jpeg
A2FE6D61-0825-41D7-8973-0BA9AEF20AF7.jpeg
278D90C9-6436-455B-A2C0-1C582AB6FC38.jpeg
Nice size ….
Is that a steel mesh lid ?
With saltwater i worry it won’t last long before it rusts .

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had ordered the IM desktop Nuvoskimmer but it appears to be out of stock everywhere in Canada - I question if it’s being discontinued… but seeing as it’s a new set up, I can figure if and what skimmer to get later.
Everything looks great so far, I like your scape, I used Stax rock as well.
I would do more research on the skimmer. I’m usually a pretty big fan of IM stuff but you’ll do better with a different skimmer. There’s lots of 25 Lagoon builds on here to get ideas from and see what they use.

OP
OP
saramachen

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything looks great so far, I like your scape, I used Stax rock as well.
I would do more research on the skimmer. I’m usually a pretty big fan of IM stuff but you’ll do better with a different skimmer. There’s lots of 25 Lagoon builds on here to get ideas from and see what they use.
Thank you!

OP
OP
saramachen

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 04 2022
Quiet morning here. I have to somehow attempt to encourage my children (7,8, &10 years) to engage in online learning starting tomorrow, while working from home (that is at least part time with flexible hours). So things are about to get interesting.

I realized this morning that I don’t have a power bar for the tank ‍♀️ So Amazon prime to the rescue.

just wanted to share my tattoo. I got it when I was 20ish - and I’m about to turn 40. I’m sure I had my tanks when I got it. So maybe 23? Anyway, it’s old, and could use a touch up. But I think all my money will be tied up in reefing for the next long while
6CB9FDFD-E08C-4D57-98FA-4EB9152E2B7E.jpeg

Was researching refugiums and pods this morning. I’ll go out after lunch to get water.

I need to text my plumber friend to ask about RO/DI systems. HomeDepot has a 7 stage one for $350 that looks ok, I just wonder if he can get better for same $$ or same for less $$.

araziza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Ontario reefer here (Vaughan). Nice build so far! I just dropped a bunch at Fragbox also (to set up a reefer 200XL). You can check out my admittedly sparse build thread. Just an FYI, there is a store in the GTA that specializes in RO-DI systems called Max water flow. I bought mine there. Nothing special, but it's convenient and has all the parts for upgrades/mods. Not vouching for quality or anything, but I've had my system for 8 years now and it's still working. I'd spring for the booster pump though, unless you have higher city water pressure in Kitchener.

OP
OP
saramachen

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Ontario reefer here (Vaughan). Nice build so far! I just dropped a bunch at Fragbox also (to set up a reefer 200XL). You can check out my admittedly sparse build thread. Just an FYI, there is a store in the GTA that specializes in RO-DI systems called Max water flow. I bought mine there. Nothing special, but it's convenient and has all the parts for upgrades/mods. Not vouching for quality or anything, but I've had my system for 8 years now and it's still working. I'd spring for the booster pump though, unless you have higher city water pressure in Kitchener.
Hi! Thanks I’ve heard of max water flow in my googling. I’ll check it out :)

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a build thread?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 04 2022
Quiet morning here. I have to somehow attempt to encourage my children (7,8, &10 years) to engage in online learning starting tomorrow, while working from home (that is at least part time with flexible hours). So things are about to get interesting.

I realized this morning that I don’t have a power bar for the tank ‍♀️ So Amazon prime to the rescue.

just wanted to share my tattoo. I got it when I was 20ish - and I’m about to turn 40. I’m sure I had my tanks when I got it. So maybe 23? Anyway, it’s old, and could use a touch up. But I think all my money will be tied up in reefing for the next long while
6CB9FDFD-E08C-4D57-98FA-4EB9152E2B7E.jpeg

Was researching refugiums and pods this morning. I’ll go out after lunch to get water.

I need to text my plumber friend to ask about RO/DI systems. HomeDepot has a 7 stage one for $350 that looks ok, I just wonder if he can get better for same $$ or same for less $$.
I bought my 90gpd spectiure on kijiji used .
hooks up to a laundry faucet ( or kitchen with adapte ) cheap <$100

A reef related tattoo from 20 years ago .
you were hooked amd now a lifer like the rest of us .

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fragbox :) I’m in Kitchener. We used to have a good lfs here, I think it’s gone. Back in the day our Big Als was not looked favourably upon - so I need to figure out if their practises have improved or if we have a shop here. But chances are I’ll be making the trip to the GTA for my stuff. Please let me know of shops you like and to avoid!

fish plans:
1 Cardinal Bengai
Pair of Percula Clowns

Coral wants:
Zoas, torch, Xenia
I am making lists of high flow, high light, low flow, low light and combos of corals to try to make a plan.

I also want a red BTA.

I plan to try to add an IM refuge light to one of the sump compartments to keep Cheato and pods. If I can do this successfully for 6months I would like to try a tiny captive bred Mandarin. But that’s a long way off and I understand my tank might be too small, and they require a large amount of pods to be established and replenished. And I also read that some eat frozen and pellets… so more research to be done.

Welcome back to the hobby, My favourite shop so far has got to be Candy Corals. Afnan is fantastic to work with, pricing is fair. And I have bought a few fish from him, observation for a week and went right into my tank, Zero issues. I have yet to shop at Fragbox though so I might try there next.

OP
OP
saramachen

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the hobby, My favourite shop so far has got to be Candy Corals. Afnan is fantastic to work with, pricing is fair. And I have bought a few fish from him, observation for a week and went right into my tank, Zero issues. I have yet to shop at Fragbox though so I might try there next.
I’ve been on their site 100 times lol. When this province gets its crap together I’ll head down for a visit. Having 3 kids home for the next who knows how long means I’m not headed anywhere for a while lol.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been on their site 100 times lol. When this province gets its crap together I’ll head down for a visit. Having 3 kids home for the next who knows how long means I’m not headed anywhere for a while lol.
I haven't been in to his store because I live in Calgary but I sure wish I could. Probably a good thing I can't though ;Hilarious

OP
OP
saramachen

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 05 2022
Added sand and water to the tank today. The only things I have going is the return pump and the heater. It’s starting to clear up from the sand.

When I mixed my water I assumed I would fit about 20gallons with the displacement from the rock. So I mixed the salt into 15gallons of water, and planned to add 5 more gallons of freshwater. I quickly realized I was only going to fit 17-18 gallons so I spent a bit of time removing water from the tank and adding more fresh. When I was done, I let it circulate for a couple hours and checked the salinity and it’s 1.025.

When I had my tanks before I used one of those cheesy plastic thingys. I calibrated and used the Refractometer for the first time yesterday. My 7 year old was EXTREMELY interested in the whole thing lol.

I downloaded the Aquarimate app. I plan to set up schedules and have my phone send notifications, along with keep track of my parameters with it.

I’m ordered a jug from Uline for my ATO.
And I’m about to mess with these power heads to see if I can get them set up as slave and master doing waves. They are 2 Jebao SOW-3. I plan to have them turned down pretty low for now.
Tomorrow I start my fishless cycle using Dr Tims.
5A21F37F-6FCE-4CE9-8DE3-26DEDF8AC1AF.jpeg
74EB665C-7AD9-4C41-BB17-685DF83B8D30.jpeg
A5F3929C-0E69-47EF-B882-AE8AC943C0F4.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back