Sara’s IM 25g Lagoon

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember reading somewhere it was one of the ingredients our government wouldn't allow.

I believe LRS reef frenzy will be a good substitute.
I remember something being said along these lines years ago .

but I also think it was a marketing thing .

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWI I’ve cycled two tanks using Dr. Tim’s method.
The first got “stuck” and ended taking nearly a month to cycle. That was a 10g tank. The second one cycled in less than 2 weeks, maybe 8 days.

when the first one wouldn’t cycle I added enough Ammonium Chloride to bring the ammonia to 2.0 on the Salifert test kit. Then I added 1/2 of the medium sized bottle of one and only. The tank cycled in less then a week after that.

When I cycled the second tank (my current 25 lagoon) I started at 2.0 and put in a full medium bottle of one and only. I fed the tank some ammonium chloride and maybe a half bottle of bacteria about 4 days in when I saw the decrease in ammonia. I never tested Nitrite, only ammonia until it went to zero then Nitrate. I let the Nitrate climb until it peaked the added some ammonium chloride until I had detectable ammonia. Tested for ammonia 24 hours later and it was zero. Did a water changes to bring the nitrate and phosphate down while feeding small amounts of ammonium chloride then stocked the tank with 2 clown and a couple starter corals and never looked back.

Attachments

• FD02363F-7F16-47B8-A197-802E82767784.jpeg
    FD02363F-7F16-47B8-A197-802E82767784.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 64
OP
OP
saramachen

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 13 2022

Yesterday was pretty boring. However this morning I went on a decent shopping spree

2 x AI prime diffuser
100w titanium heat element
Hanna Checkers: hi range Nitrate, ULR phosphate, & ALK
Fuge basket and light
Flipper

and also:
1x emerald crab
1 x skunk cleaner shrimp
1 x scarlet hermit crab

edit to add: also rented a PAR meter :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
saramachen

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shop I ordered the inverts from ships Tues-Thurs, and seeing as I placed my order on a Thursday i was assuming it wouldn't ship till next Tuesday. However I received a shipment notification that Fedex would deliver before tomorrow at noon. I had put my temp up and my salinity down to help with bacteria growth, so i am now spending my evening changing some water to increase the salinity, and I'll turn the thermometer down LOL

OP
OP
saramachen

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 14 2022

A little bit like Christmas Morning here . FedEx showed up before 10am with my mini CUC and a box from aquarium depot with the fuge basket.

Then around 11 Canada post arrived with my stuff from Fragbox including my missing Inkbird controller.

Added my new little friends to the tank. They seem to be doing ok. The rock is a little void of algae, although I do see some brown spots starting, so I took a cube of frozen “reef” food. I cut it in half. The shrimp came out and grabbed the whole half and disappeared behind the rocks. So I cut the other half into quarters and I wanted to make sure the emerald crab got some, so I was putting it right near him- he basically took it out of my hand . So they are eating. That’s a good sign.

OP
OP
saramachen

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 16 2022

Trying to get ready to send the kids back to school tomorrow, after being off for a month.

I received the PAR meter from Fragbox and played with it and the AI app for a couple hours. This is what i ended up with:
TankPAR.jpg

So based on that I came up with something like this to start:
Tankplacement.jpg

My little cleanup crew is doing good, except I haven't seen the hermit crab since yesterday morning.....

I tested my Nitrates with the Hanna checker today, they are 40ppm yikes. Im going to get some water ready to do a change.

OP
OP
saramachen

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My missing hermit crab made an appearance this morning :)

Snow day here, like a foot of snow. They just shut down major routes in Toronto - Crazy.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My missing hermit crab made an appearance this morning :)

Snow day here, like a foot of snow. They just shut down major routes in Toronto - Crazy.
Should have seen it this morning .

between 8 and 10:00 am the amount of snow in the city is insane !
there are drifts as tall as me

OP
OP
saramachen

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not happy with my powerhead placement, i've moved them 10 times probably. Even though they are small powerheads, I have to keep them on the lowest setting so they sand doesn't blow everywhere. I have lots of hills and valleys in my sand made by them so far. I have one more placement idea to try. but my poor shrimp and crab are ready for my hands to not be in there for few hours.

kove.ante

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome progress! Much like you, I had a tendency to move way too fast and impulsively; so, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. Looking forward to seeing your coral plans come to fruition!

z0mbeh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered an RODI system. It was $350, and replacing membranes every 6 months is $150. Im paying $12 a week for Distilled, so the system will definitely pay for itself.
Depending on your usage the membrane may last significantly longer. I have never replaced mine based on time.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back