Sara’s IM 25g Lagoon

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to this forum, but not new to forums. I’m not new to the hobby, but it’s changed so much since I tore down my 75g a decade ago. The basic science remains, but new science is discovered and technologies improve.

When I got pregnant 11 years ago, I got out of a few hobbies. Anything that could die or rot was found new loving homes (except my cats).

I have recently found out I have ADHD. I have struggled for many years with either hyperfocus or complete lack of attention. Starting medication a few months back has changed my life. I am now capable of setting goals, planning and following thru.

My husband bought himself a new mustang and supercharger a couple weeks ago (we already have one, plus our daily drivers). I new it was the perfect time to pounce. I asked him if he would mind the credit card bill should I buy a new tank and set up. He said go for it!

Here’s what picked up from a Coral shop in Toronto yesterday:
IM 25Gallon Lagoon
2 x Ai Primes 16HD with flex arms
2 SOW-3 Jebao power heads
100W Accu-Therm heater
InkBird controller
Duetto ATO
20lbs Two Little Fishies Stax dry rock
40lbs of Caribsea Arag-Alive Pink Fuji Sand
25kg tub of Pro-Reef salt
1 bottle of Dr Tims Ammonia
1 bottle of Dr Tims One & Only
IM Media Filter Caddy

over the last week Amazon has delivered to me:
Stonefix ReeRock cement
Filter floss
Marine pure bio-spheres
Chemi pure blue
Seachem Prime
A small pump for water mixing
RedSea MarineCare test Kit
Refractometer

I had ordered the IM desktop Nuvoskimmer but it appears to be out of stock everywhere in Canada - I question if it’s being discontinued… but seeing as it’s a new set up, I can figure if and what skimmer to get later.

OP
OP
saramachen

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 3 2022.

Last night I broke up the 6-7 large pieces of Stax and used the Stonefix to build my aqua scape.
62BBC4E4-130E-4E1C-9AB2-668803E60A92.jpeg
9EE67672-FD02-41BD-A9AE-C3B516B9A4AC.jpeg

i am happy with it, although it doesn’t look like much right now.

When I ordered my tank, I ordered the IM 20 gallon. The store emailed me to let me know they are out of stock, but offered me the 25g for the same price. The only issue I have is the stand I purchased from Petsmart, is short 4” In the depth. Today my hubby is building me a small frame out of 2x4s to attach to the back of the stand. I am not looking to do a lot of DIYs on this tank, but the stand has already been assembled and the hassle of trying to return it and find another stand is as much work as building the extension.

I also am going to get the water mixing today. I have to pick up a mixing container today. I am starting with RO water in the 18g blue containers. My plan is slow and steady with this tank, so In a few months I will install a RO/DI system, but for now the RO will do. After I get the system set up, I will go about slowing replacing the water with RO/DI threw weekly water changes.

Todays plan:
Build extension
Start water mixing

OP
OP
saramachen

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good so far. 40lbs of live sand… an old school deep sand bed?

Are you planning to skip RODI?
I actually think I am only going to use 20lbs. I bought 2 20lbs bags, cause I hate having not enough. I’m going to use however much I need to get a 3/4” to 1” sand :)

The RO/DI system will come in a couple months. For the purpose of cycling I’m going to use RO from the water store.
My tanks many moons ago were FOWLR, I def want corals this time. I plan to fully and completely research what to buy before purchase. One trait of my ADHD is impulsiveness and I lost a lot of fish (and a few anemones) in the past. So I truly plan to move carefully this time. So the skimmer, and RO/DI can wait a bit.

I plan to do a fishless cycle, but not rush it in a week. I don’t want to overwhelm myself. Slow and steady.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow Ontario reefer .
following along to see how this comes together .
Curious when you said coral shop in Toronto may we ask which one ?

what are your plans for stocking ?
Do you have a wish list for fish yet ?

OP
OP
saramachen

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow Ontario reefer .
following along to see how this comes together .
Curious when you said coral shop in Toronto may we ask which one ?

what are your plans for stocking ?
Do you have a wish list for fish yet ?
Fragbox :) I’m in Kitchener. We used to have a good lfs here, I think it’s gone. Back in the day our Big Als was not looked favourably upon - so I need to figure out if their practises have improved or if we have a shop here. But chances are I’ll be making the trip to the GTA for my stuff. Please let me know of shops you like and to avoid!

fish plans:
1 Cardinal Bengai
Pair of Percula Clowns

Coral wants:
Zoas, torch, Xenia
I am making lists of high flow, high light, low flow, low light and combos of corals to try to make a plan.

I also want a red BTA.

I plan to try to add an IM refuge light to one of the sump compartments to keep Cheato and pods. If I can do this successfully for 6months I would like to try a tiny captive bred Mandarin. But that’s a long way off and I understand my tank might be too small, and they require a large amount of pods to be established and replenished. And I also read that some eat frozen and pellets… so more research to be done.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fragbox :) I’m in Kitchener. We used to have a good lfs here, I think it’s gone. Back in the day our Big Als was not looked favourably upon - so I need to figure out if their practises have improved or if we have a shop here. But chances are I’ll be making the trip to the GTA for my stuff. Please let me know of shops you like and to avoid!

fish plans:
1 Cardinal Bengai
Pair of Percula Clowns

Coral wants:
Zoas, torch, Xenia
I am making lists of high flow, high light, low flow, low light and combos of corals to try to make a plan.

I also want a red BTA.

I plan to try to add an IM refuge light to one of the sump compartments to keep Cheato and pods. If I can do this successfully for 6months I would like to try a tiny captive bred Mandarin. But that’s a long way off and I understand my tank might be too small, and they require a large amount of pods to be established and replenished. And I also read that some eat frozen and pellets… so more research to be done.
Fragbox is by far my favourite coral shop .
There are a few others closer to the west end but that’s further from me .
big als are hit or miss , it’s best to look at their stock and while talking to them
, you get to learn of they know what they’re talking about it trying to push a sale .

mandarin … they are beautiful . If you can find them the spotted green mandarin are much hardier .
Instead of the true percula clowns ocs are cheaper and generally less aggressive .
Being your build thread .
post a few pictures as you progress .

OP
OP
saramachen

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fragbox is by far my favourite coral shop .
There are a few others closer to the west end but that’s further from me .
big als are hit or miss , it’s best to look at their stock and while talking to them
, you get to learn of they know what they’re talking about it trying to push a sale .

mandarin … they are beautiful . If you can find them the spotted green mandarin are much hardier .
Instead of the true percula clowns ocs are cheaper and generally less aggressive .
Being your build thread .
post a few pictures as you progress .
Thank you! I thought the shop was great! The staff was excellent and everything looked healthy.

I tend to over share, so photos and updates will come and may not be overly exciting

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how far Mississauga or Burlington is from you but they used to have a few shops . I have Never been to either so can’t say either way .

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fish plans:
1 Cardinal Bengai
Pair of Percula Clowns

Coral wants:
Zoas, torch, Xenia

I also want a red BTA.

Good Plan!
I have a mandarin currently in my 90g. Had her for almost a year now. I have to replenish pods every 1-2 weeks to keep her happy. She’s beautiful though!

Attachments

• E2530342-2120-4A31-87E0-1DA9657C4469.jpeg
    E2530342-2120-4A31-87E0-1DA9657C4469.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 58

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I thought the shop was great! The staff was excellent and everything looked healthy.

I tend to over share, so photos and updates will come and may not be overly exciting
They are great ! The staff always go above and beyond with advise along with healthy corals .

cconnolly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to setup a fuge get the Intank insert and a small light. I use the IM light and just attached it to the rear of the tank. Its super easy to get going and Ive had my fuge in my IM 25 running about 2 months now and I have so many pods in the tank already my back wall looks like its alive from all the pods moving when I feed or dose phyto. Its wild how they took off although I have no plans for a mandarin. I seeded with apex and tigger pods from Reef Nutrition.

OP
OP
saramachen

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to setup a fuge get the Intank insert and a small light. I use the IM light and just attached it to the rear of the tank. Its super easy to get going and Ive had my fuge in my IM 25 running about 2 months now and I have so many pods in the tank already my back wall looks like its alive from all the pods moving when I feed or dose phyto. Its wild how they took off although I have no plans for a mandarin. I seeded with apex and tigger pods from Reef Nutrition.
Thank you! That was exactly my plan! I have a wish list going at AquariumDepot with the intank refuge, and the light on it. I watched the YouTube video of the Peeling off the black plastic on the tank and attaching the light. Seems easy. Gonna make sure tank is good and stable first.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhh, Fragbox! I'm so jealous you get to shop there!.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I wonder how effective these are. I am considering one for my IM25 lagoon.

cconnolly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how effective these are. I am considering one for my IM25 lagoon.

I dropped 2" MarinePure BioBlocks in the bottom of each of the overflow chambers and then tossed a handful of the MarinePure Biospheres in the bottom of the fuge chamber. From everything I've read those things are so porous it should help the pods have a home plus the Chaeto and of course your live rock is a lot of spots for them to live and reproduce. They've been going nuts in my tank so far but I don't have a Mandarin

OP
OP
saramachen

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dropped 2" MarinePure BioBlocks in the bottom of each of the overflow chambers and then tossed a handful of the MarinePure Biospheres in the bottom of the fuge chamber. From everything I've read those things are so porous it should help the pods have a home plus the Chaeto and of course your live rock is a lot of spots for them to live and reproduce. They've been going nuts in my tank so far but I don't have a Mandarin
Thank you! I’m glad to hear the fuge is working for people with similar set ups, regardless of the fish situation:)

They just announced schools and my kids sports are being closed for at least 2 weeks. I’m glad the tank will give me a good distraction so I don’t go .

OP
OP
saramachen

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I failed at getting water today. The water store near me wasn’t open as it closed today in lieu of Jan 1. But hubby made the frame for the sump to sit on. I am going to look for some peel & stick wood grain to cover it.

I put the dry rock in - really wanted to make sure it fit, even though I tripled checked measurements as I built. My plan was to add the rock before the sand so it’s on a stable base. So now I wait .

And I put on the lights.

I actually really like the size and footprint of the tank. I don’t think I would want a tall tank again.

CCA9D58F-4D5A-4DB8-87AE-CD96401880F5.jpeg
A2FE6D61-0825-41D7-8973-0BA9AEF20AF7.jpeg
278D90C9-6436-455B-A2C0-1C582AB6FC38.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back