OP
OP
saramachen

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pulled the plug and sat and watched it for 15mins, nothing overflowed. Took a long time for the tank to finally stop trickling water into the overflow.

Then I had to take a leap of faith and plug the pump back in. After about 1min of gurgling we are back to silent and the equilibrium in the water in vs water out! I’m not sure how long I should let the sump run to make sure that all is correct.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pulled the plug and sat and watched it for 15mins, nothing overflowed. Took a long time for the tank to finally stop trickling water into the overflow.

Then I had to take a leap of faith and plug the pump back in. After about 1min of gurgling we are back to silent and the equilibrium in the water in vs water out! I’m not sure how long I should let the sump run to make sure that all is correct.
Ideally instead of crossing fingers hoping nothing overflows.
Fill the tank and sump to the fullest level and after plug it in .
as long as the pumps are not sucking air that’s your highest fill level and should never go above that ( mark it somewhere I use a permanent marker and a line on the corner of the return chamber ( sump )

OP
OP
saramachen

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0C8D23A7-1B87-4184-A944-BBDA481097C5.jpeg

here is the 10lbs of rock, 6lbs of rubble and a biobrick I have been cycling since July 21st. I picked up the sump and pump (originally planning on using the sump with an aquarium rather then buying a setup like I have). The pump is sooooo noisy. And I have been listening to it for 44 days, but today is the last! I am going to drain the tap water from the reefer, and then borrow the pump OR move this set up into the Reefer to continue for now (minus the noisy pump lol).

I think I have a spare lay flat hose for my pool in the shed, I’m hoping to just hook up to the pump and use it to drain the tank.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0C8D23A7-1B87-4184-A944-BBDA481097C5.jpeg

here is the 10lbs of rock, 6lbs of rubble and a biobrick I have been cycling since July 21st. I picked up the sump and pump (originally planning on using the sump with an aquarium rather then buying a setup like I have). The pump is sooooo noisy. And I have been listening to it for 44 days, but today is the last! I am going to drain the tap water from the reefer, and then borrow the pump OR move this set up into the Reefer to continue for now (minus the noisy pump lol).

I think I have a spare lay flat hose for my pool in the shed, I’m hoping to just hook up to the pump and use it to drain the tank.

looking forward to seeing the new one full and running .

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It runs!!!

FE3502CC-7C66-42FC-B3B1-C2F594536356.jpeg

When I started it up I the valve full open, and started the pump and everything went bananas lol. I started closing off the valve, but I had a bucket of water beside me, and when the level got low i added water and kept closing the valve till I it was quiet and the pump was staying completely submersed. I also lowered the gate at the bubble trap a bit.

i guess now I have turn off the pump and see if my sump overflows lol. Part of that process is going to figure out the best placement for the return nozzles to break the siphon.

For the water/rock displacement issue. I’m wondering about taking 10lbs of rock putting it in my 10g QT tank, and then filling the tank gallon by gallon to see how much I use. I can use that as an estimate so I don’t make too much or too little water.
So it turns out I’m a moron and swapped my main down flow and emergency down flow pipes which explains why my valve wasn't working- because NO WATER WAS PASSING THROUGH THE PIPE!!! swapped them back and now its super quiet hahaha

OP
OP
saramachen

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my Red Sea Reefer 350 G2 cycling as of yesterday morning. Let me know how adjusting your down flow valve goes as I am having a lot of trouble finding the sweet spot for that!

So it turns out I’m a moron and swapped my main down flow and emergency down flow pipes which explains why my valve wasn't working- because NO WATER WAS PASSING THROUGH THE PIPE!!! swapped them back and now its super quiet hahaha

Glad you figured it out!

OP
OP
saramachen

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came into some cash today, so I purchased 2 gently Used AI Primes (so I will have 4) and a Reef Octopus 110 skimmer :)

slowly getting somewhere!

OP
OP
saramachen

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6AC423A0-A85E-4118-A608-8A8CCA7C3849.jpeg

i moved the stuff from the noisy sump to the tank and added 40lbs of liferock. So there is now 50lbs of life rock in the tank. When the shapes come on I will add the sand, and finish stacking the rocks. Then I can finish filling and take out this rediculous set up

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6AC423A0-A85E-4118-A608-8A8CCA7C3849.jpeg

i moved the stuff from the noisy sump to the tank and added 40lbs of liferock. So there is now 50lbs of life rock in the tank. When the shapes come on I will add the sand, and finish stacking the rocks. Then I can finish filling and take out this rediculous set up
Looks great .
almost time to finish filling it , create the caves and overhangs , and let it come to life

OP
OP
saramachen

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a 3d print file for adapters to hang primes from the hydra rail mount. And I have someone that prints! So I’m gonna order the rail mount

Also thinking of setting up my QT tank. I like to let it cycle before I add a friend, then I don’t have to worry about frequent water changes, I can just siphon out the detritus on the bottom and refill. And I don’t medicate, just observe - and medicate if needed. The place I buy fish from I trust, almost enough to not QT, but I still do. By the time the fish is ready to be freed of QT this tank should be running. I will cry if it’s not lol

And I have to rehome my urchin and my conch. I already have to feed my urchin Nori - he’s eaten all the algae. And the new sand won’t provide any food for the conch. Sad, cause I really like them. But it is what it is. Maybe I can get them back when I’m ready, or I’ll get new friends (but I have an attachment to these ones).

OP
OP
saramachen

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am headed to pick up the rest of my rock on saturday! And the 2 used primes, along with the items in had 3d printed :)

I picked up the skimmer last week, that’s on my agenda to clean this weekend.

This tank should be running by next weekend! Whoop!!!

I dosed it with ammonia this week, cleared it in 24hrs. Plan is to add the rock, sand, water, bacteria, & pods. Then the following weekend transfer my fishies.

OP
OP
saramachen

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also there is an aquatic expo in Mississauga next weekend. I plan to check it out Sunday. Just for something to do. My mom will have my kids, so it will be a date for hubby and myself :)

OP
OP
saramachen

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a link for this expo ?

OP
OP
saramachen

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is finally running!

I dosed it with 9Ml of ammonia on Thursday night. Just now it tested at 0.25ppm.

this weekends to do:
Clean skimmer
Finish assembling light mount
Get wavemakers on good setting/spot
Full media cups

I bought a pair of black storm clowns last night, to pick up next Saturday.
14F57877-FD7C-4586-8BD5-1150AE3275E9.jpeg

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is finally running!

I dosed it with 9Ml of ammonia on Thursday night. Just now it tested at 0.25ppm.

this weekends to do:
Clean skimmer
Finish assembling light mount
Get wavemakers on good setting/spot
Full media cups

I bought a pair of black storm clowns last night, to pick up next Saturday.
14F57877-FD7C-4586-8BD5-1150AE3275E9.jpeg
This is amazing news .
Now to plan how and what to fill it with .
If you’re still Planning on the expo this weekend perhaps a something new might be added .

OP
OP
saramachen

saramachen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I didn’t do from my list is clean the skimmer.

I am waiting in one more bracket - i had them 3d printed and they allow you to mount primes on the Hydra rail. Once I move everyone I will add the 2 lights that are on the 25g

also my Inkbird is being used by the 25g. I have a titanium element waiting for this tank, right now my glass back up heater is doing the work.

DE621EAF-8FE2-4943-BAC8-36ABFAC86D9A.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back