Sarah's 5g mixed reef pico

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi! I'm returning after a 3 year break from the hobby. I had a 60 gallon tank that crashed in 2017 when we had a blackout of nearly a week (I had a battery backup on the tank, but it was only enough to run for 3 days. Who would have thought I'd need it for 7).

Anyway, I'm ready to jump back in. I'm trying a pico tank this time in my basement office. It's going to be a while before I can actually get it up, stocked and running, but I'm very excited.

Just getting started and rounding up a list of equipment I'll be using... here we go!

Tank: Fluval Spec V 5 gallon tank
Light: Nanobox mini tide
Heater: tbd
Sump/Skimmer/ATO/Dosing/all that other stuff: None yet (we will see how it does with water changes alone. I plan to change the water very frequently).

Right now, I'm thinking it will be bare bottom. We'll see.

Stay tuned if you're into picos!

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
LivinTheSwreefLife

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
welcome back! what's on the shortlist for the prospective reef critters? :D
I'm thinking for fiah/inverts a clown goby and maybe a pom pom crab. I would love a flaming prawn goby but I hear they hide all the time. But honestly I'm in it for the corals mostly not the fish. Fish are just a nice perk lol.

Corals though... I am going to have to be selective due to the space limitations and there are so many I love. I think my favorite Coral is forest fire digitata so I gotta try to keep that. Otherwise I plan to start with shrooms and see how that goes. I've never tried to keep things stable in a tiny tank so I don't know how well it will go. I had some gorgeous dark purple shrooms in my old tank, may try to get more of those.

Suggestions are welcome!

OP
LivinTheSwreefLife

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
The tank is wet!! And cloudy. And gross lol.

I got some live rock. Having a major bacterial bloom from the die off so don't mind the cloudiness. Here's my SECOND pass at an aquascape (already replacing pics of the first). Thoughts??
IMG_20200404_185906.jpg

I hope that is enough rock to cycle the tank properly....

The tricky part about this tank too is that it's visible from the front of my desk coming into the room, as well as the side I will see while seated at the desk (most of the viewing). Both sides need to look good. I like the front ok right now, but this is the back:
IMG_20200404_185928.jpg

Maybe it needs a little piece in that gap between the two rocks?

More work to be done. The light is ordered and should arrive in about 3 weeks. The one on there now is just a temporary stopgap, hopefully it keeps the coralline alive...

Last edited:

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
i’m partial to contorted fiji live rock so the three (?) large pieces on top of the flat base rock strike me as just round boulders (but i can see it’ll provide flat surfaces for the corals).

my eye wants to see a cave somewhere lol.

i do like how you offset the flat base rock off-center. :)

OP
LivinTheSwreefLife

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
i’m partial to contorted fiji live rock so the three (?) large pieces on top of the flat base rock strike me as just round boulders (but i can see it’ll provide flat surfaces for the corals).

my eye wants to see a cave somewhere lol.

i do like how you offset the flat base rock off-center. :)
Thanks for the feedback! I'm happy with the placement of the base rock and the one next to it but may mess with the others. Plus, since I want to add mushrooms to start, I'll likely add a rock with mushrooms attached, which will change things around considerably in such a small space.

Do you think a xenia refugium is an effective method of water filtration?

• Yes

Votes: 74 11.3%
  • No

Votes: 101 15.5%
  • Maybe considering the set up

Votes: 114 17.5%
  • Never considered it

Votes: 354 54.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 10 1.5%

Online statistics

Members online