Sargassum???

big deddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15269229538331803723026068710519.jpg
Is this sargassum that's washed up all over the beach? Could it be used for refugium rinses from the ocean?

View attachment 15269228573232980645995737177666.jpg

20180520_203032.jpg

20180520_203032.jpg

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever that is it is dead. You can use sargassum if you have the right light. Floating sargassum has to have very high light just as much if not more than corals just in a daylight spectrum. If you find some that is bright yellow you should be ok. Just dont add dead stuff because it will decay and throw your system off. It is also high in iodine so it may have some good points in that area but again it needs to be alive. Hope this helps!! Let us know if you have anything else.

OP
OP
big deddy

big deddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Whatever that is it is dead. You can use sargassum if you have the right light. Floating sargassum has to have very high light just as much if not more than corals just in a daylight spectrum. If you find some that is bright yellow you should be ok. Just dont add dead stuff because it will decay and throw your system off. It is also high in iodine so it may have some good points in that area but again it needs to be alive. Hope this helps!! Let us know if you have anything else.

OP
OP
big deddy

big deddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
I have seen alot that is yellow floating in the water. I was just curious if I could collect some and put it in fuge. I have a 150 watt grow light on my refugium si i think i might have enough light. I was hoping for something besides cheato that i have. Thank for your help!

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be ok with that light.... I would say keep an eye on it and if you see it start to go orangish or brown toss it. Also I collect in it almost every year and there are a lot of hitchhikers in it some of them good some bad so make sure you check it and maybe quarantine it.

OP
OP
big deddy

big deddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be ok with that light.... I would say keep an eye on it and if you see it start to go orangish or brown toss it. Also I collect in it almost every year and there are a lot of hitchhikers in it some of them good some bad so make sure you check it and maybe quarantine it.
Once again thank you for answers. I do have another question. Is it legal for my to pick it up at the beach while vacationing?

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually with a fishing license you can keep most for recreational purpose. Check the local wildlife and fishery. Where are located?

bluewill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in south florida and have tried on and off for 30 years to use Sargassum . I have collected samples off the beach after storms, and out in the open ocean.
a couple of problems exist with its use in a refugium .There are some species that take hold to substrate , but what your seeing on our florida beaches are free floating , meaning the little grape looking parts are actually air bladders used to keep the algae flowing on the ocean surface to promote photosynthesis . When used in a refugium it will float on top . I have noted that it restricts the movement of water at the surface , and holds oils and detritus where these would normally be skimmed off at the overflow. all our systems are based on this skimming of top water to remove organics which are much heavier at the surface.
Being brown or bright yellow in color is not an indicator of it being dead or alive , as i have collected very brown samples out in the ocean. on our beaches here that wash up at night is still alive on our beaches in the morning,or after a period of increased wave height. the Macroalgae is either cooked in the sun, collected by our local authorities ( here in Ft Lauderdale every other morning the city runs collectors , and sand levelers ) or taken back out to sea with the outgoing tide. The clumps of sargassum are loaded with microfauna , crustaceans, shrimps, larva,and many types of copepods , and anthropods. I have used this microfauna many times to quick start , or add to my existing refugiums . a couple of handfuls vigorously shaken in a bucket or directly in your refugium. I have never had a problem introducing these hitch hikers . but some reefers would be apprehensive . You do not need a fishing license or any type of permit or license to collect the algae. the problem arises with whats living within it . I've never thought twice about harvesting some , but if your on vacation , and are then transporting the microfauna through the airport , i guess theres a small chance you could have a problem.

Back