SATURATION - Colorful Marine Creatures from Indonesia & The Philippines

Nick Hope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a video of colorful little marine life that I found on dives in the Lembeh Strait, Indonesia, and at Anilao in The Philippines. There is a subtitle track containing the common and scientific names of all the marine life. Some of the species are exotic and rare. Feedback is welcome.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool

OP
OP
Nick Hope

Nick Hope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone.

Your camera work & editing is incredible. Are you a professional?

I have made some money from underwater video in one way or another for the past 15 years but nowhere near a living income these days.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The macro shots are incredible. Most of the creatures filmed are incredibly small. Can you explain a bit about your setup/gear? How were you able to get close enough without causing the animals to flee?

OP
OP
Nick Hope

Nick Hope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind comments :)
The macro shots are incredible. Most of the creatures filmed are incredibly small. Can you explain a bit about your setup/gear? How were you able to get close enough without causing the animals to flee?
The technical stuff: The camera I used was a Panasonic GH4 in a Nauticam NA-GH4 housing with Keldan Luna 4X lights or FIX Neo 1000 DX SW II lights. I used an Olympus M.Zuiko ED 12-50mm f3.5-6.3 EZ lens and a Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm f/2.8 macro lens. On some shots I used a Nauticam Compact Macro Converter CMC-1. I have an Xit404 tripod under the housing.

I've attached a photo of my latest rig and also me using an older version of it on a muck dive.

It's generally not as difficult to get close to small animals as to large ones. A gentle approach helps, along with light breathing. Sometimes patience is required to wait until an animal gets comfortable with your presence and does what you want it to.

NA-GH4-rig-Nick-Hope.jpg

by-Ednan.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back