13.5 Fluval Evo Build Thread: Mixed Reef (Photo Heavy!)

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more photos:
ED320FAF-5F1C-42D6-A50A-CF4E485BB8B8.jpeg
FFEAE94C-CB38-45CE-B925-FFFEF2C48022.jpeg
8ABAC5BF-B94F-4D58-BCF0-18A5D0B2A119.jpeg

Last edited:

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! Awesome setup I purchased the same tank today! I will be adding some of my old live rock to start the tank. Have a tunze ato for it and will also add a powerhead that I currently have for it. Thinking of taking off the top and adding a nicer led for it.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! Awesome setup I purchased the same tank today! I will be adding some of my old live rock to start the tank. Have a tunze ato for it and will also add a powerhead that I currently have for it. Thinking of taking off the top and adding a nicer led for it.
Glad to have you part of the thread! It is a great tank and I think really does better with some minor adjustments/customizations. Smart to add more flow the stock return pump is slacking to say the least. I recommend making sure to wash or clean your old live rock as I made this mistake. I think due to the fact I did not clean my old live rock well enough it helped lead to the massive bryposis invasion I went over above.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to have you part of the thread! It is a great tank and I think really does better with some minor adjustments/customizations. Smart to add more flow the stock return pump is slacking to say the least. I recommend making sure to wash or clean your old live rock as I made this mistake. I think due to the fact I did not clean my old live rock well enough it helped lead to the massive bryposis invasion I went over above.
I purchased a ai prime for the tank and a tunze nano ato. I will most likely upgrade the pump shortly. Do you know why not cleaning them caused that?

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a ai prime for the tank and a tunze nano ato. I will most likely upgrade the pump shortly. Do you know why not cleaning them caused that?
Great choice! I love the AI prime. Yes I can explain. The buildup or dead organic material has to somehow breakdown in the tank. Thus it causes a massive nutrient and phosphate bloom while nitrifying bacteria mass grow to feed off it.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great choice! I love the AI prime. Yes I can explain. The buildup or dead organic material has to somehow breakdown in the tank. Thus it causes a massive nutrient and phosphate bloom while nitrifying bacteria mass grow to feed off it.
I recently set up a new system and moved all my rock into that system I rinsed well before adding to new tank. I have a couple hundred pounds in sump currently I am going to pick through it to make a nice little aquascape for the evo my plan was to rinse very well in a couple 5 gallons of fresh saltwater to clean and maybe scrub them a bit.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been really busy and have not gotten a chance to do much of an update of current video/photos. Been reworking coral placement quite a bit though so excited to show. The more the tank fills in if one rock flower anemone moves its like the board/block game "rush hour" trying to move everything around!

Here is a video from a few weeks ago I forgot to share.

KellyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been really busy and have not gotten a chance to do much of an update of current video/photos. Been reworking coral placement quite a bit though so excited to show. The more the tank fills in if one rock flower anemone moves its like the board/block game "rush hour" trying to move everything around!

Here is a video from a few weeks ago I forgot to share.

Tank is looking awesome! Great job! I’m loving those shrimp!

KellyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I assume you are the Kelly’s corals I spoke with on Facebook in the northeast Ohio Facebook group? If so you also have many lovely pieces!

Actually that’s not me I’m based in Cocoa, FL. You mean to tell me their is another Kelly Corals out there?!? Imposters! Hopefully one day I will have some nice pieces but I’m just getting my feet off the ground at the moment!

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to you like that 1200 pump? I want to order a new one tonight and replace the stock pump.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking awesome! Great job! I’m loving those shrimp!
Thank you so much! And no worries I was actually mistaken! It is Katherine's Corals.. You are good! My real name is Colin maybe I should switch to Colins Corals as well ;Smuggrin Ever see riccordias out in the FL ocean?

How to you like that 1200 pump? I want to order a new one tonight and replace the stock pump.
I like it! I would rate it a 8/10. After a while it is known to get noisy. At 4 months now I am experiencing this. You have to clean it monthly if you want it pretty silent and full power but this is probably the case with many return pumps. I really like how much controllability you get with the around 10 levels of power.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! And no worries I was actually mistaken! It is Katherine's Corals.. You are good! My real name is Colin maybe I should switch to Colins Corals as well ;Smuggrin Ever see riccordias out in the FL ocean?

I like it! I would rate it a 8/10. After a while it is known to get noisy. At 4 months now I am experiencing this. You have to clean it monthly if you want it pretty silent and full power but this is probably the case with many return pumps. I really like how much controllability you get with the around 10 levels of power.
Okay thank you for the feedback! I’m trying to figure out which one to get.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to the timeline! Here were the first photos I took after I had that bryposis invasion. Reef flux, a couple emerald crabs, and a slight mag raise wiped it all out in a few weeks!

586DB34C-93A8-4AB7-8BA9-10EE73AEEBC9.jpeg
6676D96F-18AD-4E47-878E-1A1C70BE22AB.jpeg
81019A2B-AB74-4B3B-995B-451F4CDAAE24.jpeg

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back