13.5 Fluval Evo Build Thread: Mixed Reef (Photo Heavy!)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea I get the wave going during the day and more calm at night

Nice wave action!

r98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend replacing the fluval cp2 wave maker with your hygger mini wave maker?

It looks so much neater!

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend replacing the fluval cp2 wave maker with your hygger mini wave maker?

It looks so much neater!
Honestly I have never heard of this Fluval wave maker before. It does not come with the tank so you would have to buy it separately. It looks nice and has good reviews, but I can tell it is bulkier than the Hygger. The sleekness of the hygger mini is alone one of the best reasons to buy it! Barely takes up space in the DT.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost my tail spot blenny this morning. The lid was not on all the way :(:( I am heartbroken right now.

Keep those lids tight and secure everyone. It jumped out a .5inch gap in between the glass and lid. Looks like I came in a hour or two to late.

17DF358D-9A15-4668-81C4-8501FA8F9DE2.jpeg

Bsnow0053

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost my tail spot blenny this morning. The lid was not on all the way :(:( I am heartbroken right now.

Keep those lids tight and secure everyone. It jumped out a .5inch gap in between the glass and lid. Looks like I came in a hour or two to late.

17DF358D-9A15-4668-81C4-8501FA8F9DE2.jpeg
Sad to hear it man, one of my biggest fears. I've heard my clowns late at night hit the lid from jumping out and I'm scared they're gunna slip through a crack or something.

r98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I have never heard of this Fluval wave maker before. It does not come with the tank so you would have to buy it separately. It looks nice and has good reviews, but I can tell it is bulkier than the Hygger. The sleekness of the hygger mini is alone one of the best reasons to buy it! Barely takes up space in the DT.
Thank you for your input! I have decided to go for the Ai Nero 3 so I have more control and less bulk! :)

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much!! Glad to have you join the thread :)

Just double checked and I have the Hygger Mini Wave Maker Magnetic Dc Powerhead with the Led Display. Here is also a photo for reference. It is extremely small and perfect for 5-10 gallon tanks! If you are not upgrading the return pump for the evo though I think it is just ever so slightly weak for it or 15-20 gallon tanks. That is my only criticism. 9/10 pump so far though. Two of them in a 15-20 gallon would be perfect.
I put a Hygger on the Fluval V build and had to keep it turned down to 20% most of the time. Outstanding pump for such a compact design.

It's wild that I can get a standing wave in a 5 gallon with the right setting.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update: been having a really bad red planaria problem, but other than that the tank is doing well! Still getting over the tail spot loss. Once I move and upgrade I would like to get another. One of the rock flowers moved to the front the other day! Somehow the white patched shrimp took it from the porcelain.

nnewce.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking awesome!! What lid is it that your using? I like that green trim.
Thank you! I am using the Fluval lid from Kraken Reef Lids. The neon green is an acrylic coral pointer from BRS! I recommend snagging one. I have an anemone in the cup thus a small gap from the lid, so I put the pointer there after the tailspot jumped out last week.

Bsnow0053

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just moved! Here’s the new aquascape. Lost the skunk cleaner during the move :-(

Dang man sorry to hear your loss, I just moved with my Evo too and it was pretty stressful thank god I only moved 5 mins down the road.
On a side note though your tank is looking super good, and I really like those flower nems where'd you get them from?

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I also moved about 10 minutes down the road! I could not imagine going longer with this tank.. I had to move a 50 gallon 200+ miles it was very stressful.

I did not noticed but the scarlet skunk cleaner was about to molt and the timing unfortunately did not work out. It molted literally right after we got the tank situated and up. It must have been stressed from the move during the molt and it died a couple days later. I am a bit relieved though because it was constantly stealing food from all my corals - a very aggressive scarlet cleaner. It was also kind of cool and disgusting - I ripped up the scarlet cleaner in the tank and fed it to everything + all the shrimp/corals (circle of life I guess).

I got the rock flower anemones from various stores and coral dealers around NE Ohio. I got the 2 rainbows and green and orange from Frost Corals, and the pink/red one on the bottom right from Great Lakes Fish and Coral. I have a baby or two growing now and than but loose them in the tank. I managed to catch one and get it in a cup because it was on the glass! It is red so far and about the size of a Nickel.

Bsnow0053

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I also moved about 10 minutes down the road! I could not imagine going longer with this tank.. I had to move a 50 gallon 200+ miles it was very stressful.

I did not noticed but the scarlet skunk cleaner was about to molt and the timing unfortunately did not work out. It molted literally right after we got the tank situated and up. It must have been stressed from the move during the molt and it died a couple days later. I am a bit relieved though because it was constantly stealing food from all my corals - a very aggressive scarlet cleaner. It was also kind of cool and disgusting - I ripped up the scarlet cleaner in the tank and fed it to everything + all the shrimp/corals (circle of life I guess).

I got the rock flower anemones from various stores and coral dealers around NE Ohio. I got the 2 rainbows and green and orange from Frost Corals, and the pink/red one on the bottom right from Great Lakes Fish and Coral. I have a baby or two growing now and than but loose them in the tank. I managed to catch one and get it in a cup because it was on the glass! It is red so far and about the size of a Nickel.
Yea probably just stressed out, and yea my cleaner does the same thing just goes around and rips everything out of the corals mouth and the whole reason I got it was to watch it clean the fish which I does try to, literally will chase them around haha and they want nothing to do with it

And I'm in NE Pa and we have no good fish shops close I hate it

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back