Saving sand with dinos

srvonallmen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been reading all sorts of Dino threads and trying to figure out how to get rid of these stupid things. Starting my journey full force now. I’ve manually removed a lot of them today and most of them have embedded themselves into my sand bed. When I try and siphon them out a lot of sand came with. Would this sand be alright to add back into the tank if I wash it really well or just say screw it and toss it? My sand bed is slowly disappearing and not sure if I should add sand as I siphon it out as well.

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your issues are most likey with your phosphates and or nitrates zeroing out . Please give all your parameters.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I eventually pulled my sand for a few months until I wasn't seeing any more dinos. They were using it as a breeding ground. If you like the sand or don't want to buy more, just wash it. I'd probably use a little bleach, then make sure it's dried well. Vinegar works, too. Fresh water rinse would kill them off, but not clean the sand as well as bleach or vinegar.

OP
OP
S

srvonallmen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely. Both bottomed out and I’m working on that as well. Trying to get my chemistry right and manually remove them as much as possible. Most likely going to blackout the tank in the next couple days. I’m just wondering if the sand that I’ve siphoned with them is junk or if I can salvage it. Or if it’s just not worth it. Also can I add sand back into my tank while I’m fighting them because of this keeps up I won’t have any sand left eventually haha. Maybe I’ll just go bare bottom

k log(omega)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely. Both bottomed out and I’m working on that as well. Trying to get my chemistry right and manually remove them as much as possible. Most likely going to blackout the tank in the next couple days. I’m just wondering if the sand that I’ve siphoned with them is junk or if I can salvage it. Or if it’s just not worth it. Also can I add sand back into my tank while I’m fighting them because of this keeps up I won’t have any sand left eventually haha. Maybe I’ll just go bare bottom
I know this is older but did you end up removing your sand?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back