Sawcjack's Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL Build

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by SawCJack00, Mar 16, 2018.

1. SawCJack00

SawCJack00 Member of Value R2R Supporter AZ FRAG Member Build Thread Contributor

Good day peoples!

So I’ve been in the hobby for a while, and some old timers may remember my coral farm – Northstar Corals (if anyone has frags from my babies, please message me as I’d like to get some of them in my new setup), but this will be my first tank build thread. So back in the day my wife and I decided to leave the frozen tundra of Minneapolis which is where I had Northstar Corals in the early 2000’s. We moved to the Tampa Florida area where I set up a 120 gallon SPS tank. That went well for a few years, but then I decided to take a break from reefing as we were travelling a lot. In 2011 I had an unplanned career change, and we decided to move to the Florida Keys where I could dive just about every day when I wasn’t working. I set up a Red Sea Reefer 350 in 2016, and it was really doing well on 9/9/2017. Unfortunately on 9/10/2017, a Category 4 Hurricane named Irma decided to visit my little island of Ramrod Key, and absolutely destroyed it. We were without water for 17 days, and without power for 28 days. I could not get enough gas to keep the generator running, and lost the entire tank after 7 days… Fast forward a few months, and we decide it was time to move again. I love the desert and grew up out West, and my parents live in the Phoenix, AZ area, so we decided that there were probably fewer hurricanes there, and that’s where we decided to make our home. Because home prices are MUCH lower in AZ, we went from an 1,100 square foot stilt home to a 3,400 square foot home in Surprise, AZ which cost us half as much as our Keys home… I think you know where this is headed… bigger house = bigger tank! That’s just math. So now we’ve arrived to the current time period, and I am setting up a Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL. This will be a full blown SPS tank.

Latest FTS 4/2/2019
    FTS.jpg

Latest Side View 4/2/2019
    Side view 1.jpg

Equipment as of 4/3/2019:

Tank: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL – Tank 170 gallons – Total volume 200 gallons with an Artfully Acrylic mesh top.

Controller: Neptune Apex with all the bells and whistles

Lights: LED T-5 hybrid using 2 x 36” Aquatic Life 4 bulb T-5 fixtures with 3 Radion XR15 G4 Pros on each for a total of 6 Radion XR15 G4 Pros.

Return pump: Abyzz A100 feeding a Locline split

Circulation: 2 Maxspect Gyre 350’s and 5 Neptune Wav's

Filtration: Reef Octo Elite 220 Int skimmer with auto neck cleaner and Avast skimate locker. Turbo's Aquatics L4 Algae Turf Scrubber. Lots of Siporax.

Alk and Calcium maintenance: DaStaCO2 Model A-2 Calcium Reactor Contolled by an Alkatronic.

ATO: Spectrapure ATO

Heat: 2 Finnex 500w titanium heaters

CO2 scrubber hooked up to skimmer to keep PH up.

Dry Rock: 180 lbs of Reef Saver from BRS

Sand: 2-3 inches of Carib Sea Special Grade reef sand

I’m hoping to get it wet this weekend.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    AZMSGT, mrsean, Hemmdog and 4 others like this.

2. SawCJack00

SawCJack00 Member of Value R2R Supporter AZ FRAG Member Build Thread Contributor

So first the sad stuff. Here are some pictures from the storm that changed our lives forever...

Our street the day before Irma
    Day before Irma.jpg

Our street from close to the same spot the day of Irma after the storm surge had receded.
    Day of Irma.jpg

View from our deck - 54" of storm surge above the ground - over 9 feet total storm surge on Ramrod Key.
    View from Deck.jpg

view of our side yard from our deck. We lived on a boating canal, and you can't see where the canal is because the water is so high.
    Water Water Everywhere.jpg

The storm surge took my jet ski from the trailer in the front of the house which was chained to our fence, floated it all the way around the house, and deposited it upside down on my boat trailer. Major PIA to get this resolved after the storm.
    Jet ski on boat trailer.jpg

Hemmdog and bubbaque like this.
  3. SawCJack00

Some more pictures from Irma

This was a stilt house on our street. The living area is completely gone - deposited in the neighbors driveway primarily.
    Example.jpg

This house was at the end of our street. Quite a few news broadcasts happended in front of this house and the first picture.
    Example 2.jpg

Another destroyed house...
    Example 3.jpg

A picture of the radar from my cell phone when Irma made landfall. We were at the blue dot. Unlike most, we did not evacuate. I have now evacuated permanently...
    Radar.jpg

My Reefer 350 the day I ran out of gas for the generator - 7 days after the storm...RIP :(
    Reefer 350 day gas ran out.jpg

Janci, Hemmdog and bubbaque like this.
  4. SawCJack00

Now for some positive stuff!

More to come... Stay tuned!

Aquascape with no lights - dry
    Aquascape dry no lights.JPG

Aquascape with lights - dry
    Auqascape lighted dry.JPG

Overhead of the aquascape
    Aquascape top view dry.JPG

The right side bommie made from 4 Reef Saver Rocks and some rubble bonded by e-marco 400 with 3/4" acrylic rods stuck into a 1" thick cutting board for a stable base. It is rock solid - literally.
    Right side bommie before sand.JPG

bubbaque and TMB like this.
  5. SawCJack00

Current state of the "Reading Room" (wife's name for it) or "Fish Room" (my name for it)
    Modern Chaos.JPG

I will post equipment pics once I have everything in place and cleaned up... which basically has to happen this weekend as we have a new couch being deliverd for this room on Tuesday!

bubbaque, Scubafrog and TMB like this.
  6. Daltrey

Daltrey Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

Nice, Another 750xxl build. :) Following along.

Javamahn and SawCJack00 like this.
  7. SawCJack00

Unfortunately I needed a plumbing part that I had to order (being delivered today), so I didn't get water into it this past weekend. Going out of town this weekend, so no point in starting it up then leaving, so the plan is to get it going early next week. I'll be finishing up plumbing and setting up the QT this week. I'll get lots of new pictures up next week when it's all cleaned up and either filled or filling.

Here's my fish stocking list in the order of addition. Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions, or sees any issues. Most of these I've had before.

School of Dispar Anthias
    School of Springeri Damsels
    Trio of Leopard Wrasses
    Regal Angel
    Watanabei Angel
    Candy Cane Hogfish
    2 Picasso Clownfish
    Purple Tang
    Powder Blue Tang
    Achiles Tang

Any other additions that anyone can suggest?

Hemmdog and bubbaque like this.
  8. SawCJack00

Water is going in... More pics soon.

bubbaque likes this.
  9. SawCJack00

I even plugged some things in, and they worked. Good thing, because I've had the equipment for a while without a chance to test it!

bubbaque likes this.
  10. SawCJack00

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I added a bottle of Dr. Tim's One and Only today so I'm calling today the birthday for my tank. I got the return pump running, and a few other gadgets tested out, so I'm making progress. Lot's to do, but I'll post some new pics once I've cleaned up a bit.

bubbaque likes this.
  11. ryan32.rc

ryan32.rc Member

Nice.Following along

12. xoleras

xoleras Active Member

I saw this tank in person, its ridiculous... one day :)

SawCJack00 likes this.
  13. SteedC

SteedC Active Member Build Thread Contributor

This is great I just ordered the Reefer XXL 625 today so I am following closely to get some tips!

14. SawCJack00

Lots of progress this week. Got my 73 gallon ATO resevoir from Custom Acrylics on Friday. Presents.JPG
    ATO.JPG

Also got most of my gadgets hooked up to the Apex and running. Still waiting on my fuge light - front left portion of the sump will have macro algae to supplement the algae reactor and help with pod production.
    Sump 1.JPG
    Sump 2.JPG

Also got my QT tank up and running and have some fishies coming in tomorrow to start their QT experience... More to come.

bubbaque likes this.
  15. SawCJack00

Her'e a couple of shots of the tank waiting for guests to come out of QT...
    Front 04032018.JPG Right Angle 04032018.JPG Left Angle 04032018.JPG

16. SawCJack00

Not too much to report. DT is well into the cycle. I have also added lots of pods and some chaeto in the fuge.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  17. mckinney0171

mckinney0171 Active Member

I am considering this tank. How is the overflow working for you? I had heard rumors of gurgling and the stock Red Sea valve being very difficult to deal with - especially when the pump is shut off and then restarted.

18. SneakyTortuga

SneakyTortuga Well-Known Member Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

73 gallon ato??? That’s insane

cvanchuck likes this.
  19. SawCJack00

Once you get it dialed in, it's fine, but a lot of people are replacing the valve with gate valves to make it easier to dial in. The Red Sea valve is touchy. My tank is silent, and I've been turning the pumps on and off often in order to install various items.

Hemmdog and mckinney0171 like this.
  20. SawCJack00

It is a bit insane, but we like to travel and I don't want my tank sitter to have to worry about top off. This should last about 3-4 weeks. I do have to make sure I have redundant fail safes so that the whole thing doesn't empty into the sump at one time, but I'm confident I can manage that... knock on wood!

Hemmdog and Devaji like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted