Sawcjack's Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL Build

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by SawCJack00, Mar 16, 2018.

1. SawCJack00

SawCJack00 Member of Value R2R Supporter AZ FRAG Member Build Thread Contributor

Demitri, I decided not to get them. I may add them at some point in the future, but right now I'm sticking with what I have since I don't feel like QTing any more fish for a while. Current stock list is:

Regal Angel
    Bonded Pair of Watanabei Angels
    8 Bartletts Anthias
    Mystery Wrasse
    Blue Fairy Wrasse
    Labouts Fairy Wrasse
    Pintail Fairy Wrasse
    Picasso Percula Clown
    Foxface Rabbit fish
    White Tail Bristletooth Tang
    Diamond Goby

Let me know how yours do if you get them.

bubbaque likes this.

2. SawCJack00

SawCJack00 Member of Value R2R Supporter AZ FRAG Member Build Thread Contributor

OK, I know, I know, I keep promising an update, well it's time I delivered. It is my New Year resolution to update more often this year, so here it goes. I have made some major changes, and had some good as well as some bad happen over the past few months. I added quite a bit of rock to the aquascape as I needed more real estate for frags. While it doesn't look as open in an FTS as it originally did, there is actually quite a bit of swim space for the fishies, and it definitely made more room to mount frags. Here is an FTS from today:
    FTS 01302019.jpg

Equipment wise, I have taken out the Chaeto, and replaced it with a Turbo's Aquatics L4 ATS. It grows algae like crazy. I do still have some GHA as you'll see in other pics, but it is improving. I also replaced my Tunze Osmolator ATO with the Spectrapure ATO which will be much more reliable as it uses a pressure switch instead of float switches and optical sensors. My optical sensor would sometimes get fouled and the ATO wouldn't come on as it sensed that the water level was OK. I have also added an Alkatronic which monitors my Alkalinity and controls another addition which is my DaStaCo calcium reactor. These 2 pieces of equipment are amazing and have made my alkalinity and calcium rock solid. I no longer am using my Kalk stirrer as I don't need it, and I ran an outside line to my skimmer so now PH stays nice and high. I have also finally set up my AWC using one of my Neptune Dos's. I change out 40 gallons a month which is a little less than 1 1/2 gallons per day. It is working flawlessly. I have also added 3 more Neptune Wav powerheads to get better circulation. I have all 5 of them turn on at 100% pulse mode at 8am and 8pm which really stirs up the detritous, and is helping to keep things much cleaner. The rest of the day, they run on the reefcreest type mode at varying intensities.

As I mentioned, I have had some setbacks. In addition to the GHA which I am working to eliminate, I also got greedy with my light acclimation about 3 months ago, and burned some tips on my Acros. I turned the lights down, and re-acclimated much slower and things went great, however a few weeks ago just after Christmas, I started to notice some loss of color, and certain corals had little to no polyp extension. I thought I might be burning them again so I reduced lighting, but things got worse and tips started to burn and many Acros started to put out messenterial filaments, and just generally looking bad. I tried everything I could think of. Checked for stray voltage. Added fresh carbon. Put Polyfilter in the sump. Did water changes. Ran ICP tests which showed nothing obvious. Nothing seemed to help. I then inspected every piece of equipment in the tank, and finally found the culprit. The magnet had rusted on my probe holder. I immediately removed it and threw it away, then did a series of large water changes, and within days, I could see improvement. I replaced the magnetic probe holder with an acrylic one that hangs from the side, so it has no magnets to rust. Now several weeks later my tank has found it's mojo again and it looking better than ever. The death toll was small as I only lost 1 frag - but it was a good frag TGC Gravedigger. I also lost most of my MattV Psycho Asylum, and TSA Rainbow Fusion, as well as my Red Dragon, but there are a few polyps on each that are hanging in there so maybe they'll come back.

On to some pics of corals as I know that's what people want to see. While I'm a confirmed stick head, I do have a few other types of coral too. Shhhhh don't tell anyone. Here are my chalices:

OG Pink B00bies:
    Pink Boobies Chalice 01-30.jpg

JF Crazy Fox
    JF Crazy Fox Chalice 0130.jpg

JKR Rainbow Cosmos
    JKR Rainbow Cosmos Chalice 0130.jpg

And my one Micromussa - TSA Holly Grail
    TSA Holy Grail Micromussa 0130.jpg

I'll continue with the update in a bit. Stay tuned!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  3. SawCJack00

Time for some more pics. This is the right side island
    Right side 0131.jpg

Here are some closer pics of some of the corals on that section

Bubblegum Digitada
    Bubblegum Digi 01-25.jpg

JF Homewrecker fuzzy nub
    JF Homewrecker 2 01-30.jpg

MattV Rainbow Envy
    MattV Rainbow Envy 0130.jpg

WWC Sunfire Monti
    WWC Sunfire Monti 01-30.jpg

Pirates Reef Fruity Pebbles
    PR Fruity Pebbles 01-30.jpg

More to come...

Janci, ngoodermuth, ESH and 1 other person like this.
  4. bubbaque

bubbaque Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

That update was well worth the wait!

Blackice615 and SawCJack00 like this.
  5. SawCJack00

Thanks Bubba, I've got more to post Stay tuned.

bubbaque likes this.
  6. SawCJack00

Here's a few more of the corals on the right side island

BC Miss Scarlett
    BC Miss Scarlett 0131.jpg

TSA Princess Peach - this one lost a lot of color due to the magnet incident, but it's coming back.
    TSA Princess Peach 1 0131.jpg

A no name frag that always has great PE and is blue with green polyps. I really like this one.
    No Name 1 0131.jpg

ngoodermuth and bubbaque like this.
  7. SawCJack00

Now we move to the middle...ish island.

Here's a shot of it
    Middle 2019-01-31 (1).jpg

Some of the corals on this island

ARC Fireworks
    ARC Fireworks 0131.jpg

BC Kenberry
    BC Kenberry 0131.jpg

JKR Rainbow
    JKR Rainbow 0131.jpg

RRA Ultimate Orange Passion
    RRA Ultimate Orange Passion 0131.jpg

TSA Dan Akroyd
    TSA Dan Akroyd 0131.jpg

8. SawCJack00

More from the middle island

BC Teen Wolf - tough to get a good pic of this since it's in back.
    BC Teen Wolf1 0131.jpg

Another RRA Ultimate Orange Passion from a diferent person
    RRA Ultimate Orange Passion 2 1 0131.jpg

TGC Wonderland
    TGC Wonderland 1 0131.jpg

Vivids Confetti - I have two frags this one is up higher and is almost completely red.
    Vivids Confetti 1 0131.jpg

Vivids Fire Garden
    Vivids Fire Garden 1 0131.jpg

9. SawCJack00

Continuing with the middle island

BC Bubblebath Unicorn - lost some color in the "incident" but it's coming back
    BC Bubblebath Unicorn 0131.jpg

BC Snipers Blue Something or Other
    BC Snipers Blue Something or Other 0131.jpg

RR Starburst - this one lost a lot of color in the tips during the incident. The tips also got burned, but have grown back over. Hoping it will color up again in the coming weeks.
    RR Starfire 0131.jpg

TGC Inner Core
    TGC Inner Core 0131.jpg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  10. SawCJack00

More

Cupcake - got this from a friend. That's what he calls it, so that's what I call it.
    Cupcake 0131.jpg

ORA Pearlberry - this one darkened significantly during the "incident" it is slowly getting back to it's awesome self.
    ORA Pearlberry 0131.jpg

RRC Jawdropper - I've had this one for a while, and it really hasn't done much. Hoping it will take off now that things are very stable
    RRC Jawdropper 0131.jpg

RRC Pretty in Pink - Another one that hasn't reached it's potential yet...
    RRC Pretty in Pink 0131.jpg

Sunburst Milli - My favorite Milli and one of my favorite corals. This picture does not do it justice!
    Sunburst Milli 0131.jpg

ngoodermuth, codydemmel4 and bubbaque like this.
  11. SawCJack00

More

BigR Candyland
    BigR Candyland 0131.jpg

JF Fox Flame
    JF Fox Flame 0131.jpg

JF Homewrecker - this one I've had longer than the other nub. It got burned in the "incident" but is coming back.
    JF Homewrecker 1 0131.jpg

PC Superman Table
    PC Superman Table 2 0131.jpg

RR Pink Floyd
    RR Pink Floyd 0131.jpg

12. bubbaque

bubbaque Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

You got a lot of high end stuff in your tank that you don't show off often enough.

13. SawCJack00

I do. I'm going to update much more often. I slacked last year :) I have a couple of new ones coming in on Tuesday including that EC Valentina frag. Can't wait to see how it looks in person. I still have alot more to post on my ongoing update.

bubbaque likes this.
  14. codydemmel4

codydemmel4 Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

I was thinking this exact same thing! Everything looks good and hope it continues.

bubbaque and SawCJack00 like this.
  15. SawCJack00

Thank you!

16. SawCJack00

Time for a few more

This is another no name that is starting to look nice.
    No Name 2 0131.jpg

WWC After Party
    WWC After Party 0131.jpg

These next few all got hit hard by the "incident" They lost a lot of tissue, and had to be fragged, but are recovering now.

RR Lady in Pink
    RR Lady in Pink 0131.jpg

Uchin's Pacific Wave
    Uchins Pacific Wave 0131.jpg

Pirates Reef Starfire
    Pirates Reef Starfire 0131.jpg

ngoodermuth, bubbaque and codydemmel4 like this.
  17. justingraham

justingraham Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

Lovely Corals and photos

18. SawCJack00

Thank you very much! There's more...

19. 1Blazer

1Blazer Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Like Bubba said... Very nice sticks you have going there! Excited to see this one grow in

bubbaque and SawCJack00 like this.
  20. SawCJack00

Thank you very much. Me too. I will be posting some more pics of the left side soon.

bubbaque likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted