Sawdonkey’s 210 Rebuild / Redo

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only shoot the ones that are looking good!

Here’s the real test. When I get my Vivid’s rainbow colored up, I’ve reached enlightenment. If you even fart in the same room as your tank, it browns out. It’s showing color, so I’m half way there. Give me 30 days.....
My wife would attest that I probably shouldn’t get a vivid‘s rainbow :)

OP
OP
sawdonkey

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few more:
9DB41AE6-C739-44CF-83C9-1D46A4B3189D.jpeg
93E3C9C6-ECDD-49E1-BBA7-20F8ED9D0B8E.jpeg
474C4375-1BB5-45C4-B51E-48BD10DE8870.jpeg
3F3DDF8D-F2A1-4CD1-B5BA-A8E17B17BC09.jpeg
9DC04E01-DF8A-45BB-A17D-03ED55FEAC0B.jpeg
698CA478-84AF-46DF-82D4-FB9BEA027474.jpeg
AE7AA242-CB09-4766-A930-399F70FE352B.jpeg
7D9F192C-1D3F-40A1-83BB-FF8D715008D5.jpeg

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great picture and corals. Loving it.

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I’m loving this new skimmer! See ya Bubble Magus, hello Lifereef!

F24CCA33-10DC-4929-9E19-0743A8266AD7.jpeg
I was wondering how you were liking your new skimmer. I’m not surprised. I wish I would have bought the removable top, but it has not effected performance, just my need to clean it. Nice upgrade.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great!! I did the same. My tank was on life support for 3 months. I got Covid 4 weeks ago and with the time at the house I was able to spend it all on the tank. Did a bunch of things and now the tank is thriving. Best it's looked in over a year.

Your tank is an inspiration and I can't wait to see some new updates!

OP
OP
sawdonkey

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great!! I did the same. My tank was on life support for 3 months. I got Covid 4 weeks ago and with the time at the house I was able to spend it all on the tank. Did a bunch of things and now the tank is thriving. Best it's looked in over a year.

Your tank is an inspiration and I can't wait to see some new updates!
Thanks for the kind words. There’s twice as many acros that aren’t photo worthy that I’m not showing. I have a bunch of new frags I got from a friend that I’m excited about. I cut him heads of high-end torches that he can sell and in return, he gives my high-end acros. Great deal for both of us.

I recently dialed down my calcium reactor and started dosing Kalk through my ATO. The tank is responding well to the higher PH whatever else the Kalk is doing for it. I’m thinking about getting rid of the calcium reactor altogether. I ran only Kalk for years and had a lot of success with it, even when my tank was full of SPS. No issues keeping up with demand. The calcium reactor has just been more to worry about and more to go wrong.

I also had COVID about a month ago, but my isolation room was not near my tank, so I made no progress. It it were, I would have had a much more enjoyable COVId experience. Instead, I worked 15 hour days on my computer.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words. There’s twice as many acros that aren’t photo worthy that I’m not showing. I have a bunch of new frags I got from a friend that I’m excited about. I cut him heads of high-end torches that he can sell and in return, he gives my high-end acros. Great deal for both of us.

I recently dialed down my calcium reactor and started dosing Kalk through my ATO. The tank is responding well to the higher PH whatever else the Kalk is doing for it. I’m thinking about getting rid of the calcium reactor altogether. I ran only Kalk for years and had a lot of success with it, even when my tank was full of SPS. No issues keeping up with demand. The calcium reactor has just been more to worry about and more to go wrong.

I also had COVID about a month ago, but my isolation room was not near my tank, so I made no progress. It it were, I would have had a much more enjoyable COVId experience. Instead, I worked 15 hour days on my computer.

That is awesome about the new frags! Looking forward to checking out what you picked up.

I did the same thing. I took my calcium reactor off line a year ago and start 2 part. I used to run kalk with the calcium reactor and stopped with 2 part. My pH probe was out of calibration and I thought my pH was higher. After calibrating I had lower pH around 7.8-8. My pieces have had stunted growth for a long time. I started kalk up a couple weeks ago and ran my skimmer line outside. Now my pH gets up to 8.3. My pieces have taken off over the last couple of weeks. Pieces that sat dormant for 2 years are now shooting out branches. I think put kalk back on your system is a great idea!

I was isolated in our master bedroom for 3 days. Then my entire family ended up catching it so I was able to leave the holding cell for rec time.

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was super stoked to run across your rebuild! I was majorly bummed when your condo burned. Your tank was an inspiration and I always loved seeing updates. I just went over your entire thread today and holy cow! It's obvious you didn't lose your touch during the 8 month down time. I'm finally building a stand and getting on with my build as I never was able to get it going before due to health and other crap. Anyway, I'm following for sure. Incredible work! Really looking forward to more updates.

BTW, who released Merlins beard? I freaking love that thing. I'm gonna have to try to find it when my tank is ready for acros.

OP
OP
sawdonkey

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was super stoked to run across your rebuild! I was majorly bummed when your condo burned. Your tank was an inspiration and I always loved seeing updates. I just went over your entire thread today and holy cow! It's obvious you didn't lose your touch during the 8 month down time. I'm finally building a stand and getting on with my build as I never was able to get it going before due to health and other crap. Anyway, I'm following for sure. Incredible work! Really looking forward to more updates.

BTW, who released Merlins beard? I freaking love that thing. I'm gonna have to try to find it when my tank is ready for acros.
Wow, thanks for the kind words. I try to keep up with the tanks, but having two kids over the last few years put a dent in my reefing time. I’m house shopping now, but I have been for a while, so with any luck, I’ll find a place I like for the right price, and of course a great spot for a tank. Then I’ll start a new build with all of the knowledge I’ve gained over the last few builds.

Merlin Staff is a Route 66 / Frag Farmers piece. I got it from a local buddy and he got it from @coralreeftank, who is also local to me.

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leaving Chicagoland all together, or just down town? Either way, good luck on the house hunt. What size you thinking of going with next time? A 360 would be pretty nice if you have the space. I have to admit, I'm not sure there is too much room to improve on what you have going. I'm not blowing smoke up your backside, but I bet even some of the big hobbyist/aquaculturists would be proud to have a display as nice as yours. I am looking forward to what you do next and I will probably take some pages from your book and apply them on my own tank. Take care and keep those pics coming!

OP
OP
sawdonkey

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Yeah, I’m not a frag tank guy. I aim to create a beautiful aquascape and don’t care as much about individual corals. There are surely guys with healthier and nicer corals.

I’m likely in Chicago for good. I’ve got ownership in my company and making a move likely isn’t in the cards. So yeah, I’m staying in the city, likely wicker, bucktown, Roscoe, north center, Ravenswood neighborhoods…if you’re familiar. Potentially close in burbs, but I’d rather not. Just looking for a house to get some more space, get in a decent school district, and to get out of my condo.

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew up in Kenosha and am fairly familiar with Chicago. Have you noticed an increase in crime with all the defund the police sentiment going on? I have a few friends down in Minneapolis and it's getting pretty bad there. I'll take my small town of 12,000 up north. The only thing that sucks is that you just can't get good food up here like you can get down there. The president of our reef club in Duluth is from Chicago and he agrees with me on that! I'll stop hi-jacking your thread now. Sorry!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 119 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back