Say the worst thing happened.... are you prepared?

Say your tank busts while open. Fish are flopping on the floor. Are you prepared to save your fish?

• Yes ... tell us how

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • No ... I would have to just start cleaning up the massacre

Votes: 17 60.7%

• Total voters

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Say your tank busts while open. Fish are flopping on the floor. Are you prepared to save your fish and coral?

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lots of totes varying from 10g to 55g. That’s one item a lot people don’t realize they should have on hand but should. Even if they are used to store household items while not being used for fish stuff.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 other reef tanks setup in the house besides the main 200DT, so even if one tank failed, id have more than enough space to move all the fish and corals to running systems.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my tank as well. And I have a spare 5g, 10g, 20g and 2 40g tanks plus Brutes and pumps and HOB filters and air stones...

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 QT tanks running at all times that could be pressed in to service. Also have several totes clean and ready to use. Always keep 30 gallons of saltwater mixed at all times.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of these, some storage totes and a couple of smaller tanks at the ready. I only pray I never need to use them for the purpose mentioned in this thread. :eek:

1596729717606.png

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 tanks running, if one fails I can relocate fish/corals as needed and 1 qt that is aways setup and running. 30-60 gallons of saltwater always mixed and ready.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a tank that is 100% tempered, this has crossed my mind before. Any failure is a total failure.

My plan, assuming I was around, is put the fish in my QT. Unfortunately this means right now they'd get infected with ich, but that beats dying on the floor.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I had it happen. At that time they went into a middle refuge tank....which was lit with a halide.

Now everything would get into buckets, then set up a 55 gal which I have two. I could also use the sump as well.

Regular_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m home I have a QT up and running and lots of towels and a wet dry vac all handy ((hopefully flood insurance covers a tank haha)) if I’m not home then I’ll rely on my insurance for water damages and I’m sure my trustworthy hound will assist with the safe relocation of any livestock found on the floor.

ADBA0DD7-A3BA-488C-B521-5256805E165A.jpeg

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest issue would not be a tank or whatever. It would be making 10 to 40 gallons of salt water quickly. As in really quick. 5 gallons no problem but more then that gets tricky fast

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m home I have a QT up and running and lots of towels and a wet dry vac all handy ((hopefully flood insurance covers a tank haha)) if I’m not home then I’ll rely on my insurance for water damages and I’m sure my trustworthy hound will assist with the safe relocation of any livestock found on the floor.

ADBA0DD7-A3BA-488C-B521-5256805E165A.jpeg
How much for the dog? Can you do Layaway?

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummmm... Fish and corals on the floor would be the least of my worries.
The 400ish gallons flooding my house would be a much bigger problem!!! :eek: :mad::eek:

But yes, since I have 100 gallons of new salt water mixed at all times I could pick them up and put them in another tank.

This is not a scenario I care to experience.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be fine if I was home and saw this immediately, my sump in the basement has a 60gal frag area I stored everything in while building the new dt it can run independent of the dt in a pinch still connected to the same sump even. If that failed to I always have 150gal on hand and extra tanks, tubs, heaters, etc.. this wouldn't be my worst case scenario mine worst case would be something getting in the tank I wasn't aware of because it would likely take a while to catch it and I'd probably loos stock in the meantime.

U

User1

View Badges
Hmm...this was a trap. I was thinking the worst thing is death. My answer was yes, I am. I have a love letter to my family and in it is information on the reef tank such as coral names, links, estimated price, what to give away or sell to hobbyists, fish, and rough estimates on prices. Nothing I own fish or coral wise doesn't need special care or sized for public aquariums so I'm good there. It also includes passwords / usernames on forums and my controller.

As far as if something catastrophic such as a tank failure, Godzilla walking through the neighbourhood, Zombie apocalypse, or some other random act of Mother Nature I have a brute container that I can throw corals and fish in should the need arise. I do have a rubbermaid stock tank that I could also throw on the work bench and make it work better with a higher chance of survival for all.

My main priority should a failure happen and we are around to catch it is collect all of the fish, inverts as possible, and rock. Rock is the single most essential life form I would want to save since that is the foundation of everything. While I would be hurt of coral loss recovery will be quicker than starting over again. The dry rock I have is 2 years into its maturity and only now at the position whereas I say it is reef ready.

I couldn't imaging resetting that clock :(

Back