Say What? HEATERS and CHILLERs not totally necessary???

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Great Barrier Reef is without question the Super Bowl of reefs! Right? Did you know that annual temperatures swing from 75 degrees in the winter months to 85 degrees in the summer on this massive reef? Overall temps have only risen 1 degree in over 100 years so let’s not go there. But on a month by month analysis of a 10 degree swing is the year by year norm.
How can this be??? I freak out if my tank swings 4 degrees. The GBR is a summer/winter phenomenon which is my seasonal reason for temp swings as well. I live in sunny Arizona. It’s really hot in the summer and it can get quite cool in the winter months. But we keep the ac in the house at 77 in the summer and 78 in the winter. And My tank fluctuates between 78 in the winter and 82 in the summer. That’s 4 degrees? Not 10 degrees like the Great Barrier Reef. Am I missing something? I could buy a Walt Disney for the price of my heater!

1. Are HEATERS and CHILLERS overkill?
581FC27E-3058-46B8-9630-701598CED0A7.jpeg

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your thread titles and the body paragraphs.

I keep my tank at 80F, but if it goes up to 81F I wouldn’t care. I do have a chiller and I don’t use heaters.
Thanks for the kind words. And I think you’re right, who cares lol.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often wonder about temp stability and it's importance. I understand seasonal swings, but what about daily swings? Is there much data on the fluctuations in a single day?

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dude temperature is something super easy to control in a reef tank,
whats the other parameters of the ocean during those temp swings? now compare that to our tanks
Right? That’s kind of my point. I think we do a better job than Mother Nature. I hope we’re doing it right. :astonished-face:

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a chiller due to the fact that in the lounge at Christmas the water temp can hit 32c...I have it set at 26c and so far so good. The issue with the coming summer is going to be how to keep the condesation from the glass.. Now its only 65%RH now and it noticable but for about 4 months of the years its almost 100%RH...I can envisage a waterfall effect in my future..

bobssecrtsn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this is almost all true, unless you have wild caught corals, most of our corals are tank raised and is not use to the swings. You can say that our corals are wussies…

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this is almost all true, unless you have wild caught corals, most of our corals are tank raised and is not use to the swings. You can say that our corals are wussies…
Good point, our corals are “wussies”. But nature is producing (unpampered) corals that even recover from bleaching. We should be so lucky.

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another consideration is what is the best practice, as well. Stability will always make coral thrive. Our tanks are not the ocean, and one little thing can create a crash.

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree, our corals expirence more disease and plague because we mix corals that are from different parts of the planet then expect them to play nice haha

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LoL you cant compare your tank to the ocean. We have to be extra stable with our tanks because the ecosystem in our tank is so fragile compared to the vast ocean. People rub sun tan lotion all over themselves and go swimming in the great barrier reef. Next time run some sun tan lotion on your arm and stick your arm into your tank. It won't turn out well =P.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so are you ready to unplug your temp control systems?
Meh, depending on setup and location it temp control isn't necessary. Much like our flordians, here in So cal, my heaters don't cycle on for about 9 months a year on my 120g and the 210g I babysit for my pops.

We suffer from too darn hot syndrome in the south west part of the country thus we keep the central air at 75 degrees when home and 78 when were gone. Lowest I see is 77-76.5 overnight and 80.5-81.5 during the day.

Past weeks worth of data:
Screenshot_20220731-123145.png

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meh, depending on setup and location it temp control isn't necessary. Much like our flordians, here in So cal, my heaters don't cycle on for about 9 months a year on my 120g and the 210g I babysit for my pops.

We suffer from too darn hot syndrome in the south west part of the country thus we keep the central air at 75 degrees when home and 78 when were gone. Lowest I see is 77-76.5 overnight and 80.5-81.5 during the day.

Past weeks worth of data:
Screenshot_20220731-123145.png
Very cool! I live in new england and my tanks are so small that the cords coming out of the back make them look like a critical care patients in the ICU. Thank goodness for false backs. I think my punishment for running WAY too complicated nano tanks is that all of that equipment generates heat and I am always fighting to keep it cool in the summer. In the winter there are parts of the house that are like...62. There is a tank in one of those places... so I need a heater in the winter and I blast the AC in the summer.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so are you ready to unplug your temp control systems?
Wellllll? I have a heater, no chiller. When the heater fails at some point, I don’t think I’ll be running out to get a new one as if it’s an emergency.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back