Say you suddenly died, what would happen to your Reef Tank?

Say you suddenly died, what would happen to your Reef Tank?

• Total voters

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My daughter has a good clue of what I paid in most part and I urged her to sell it accordingly and Not give it away.

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My younger brother died back in the spring ... thought he was healthier than me ... but bad family medical history. This prompted MANY in depth conversations between me and the wife who NOW has five phone numbers of closest fellow reefers to: (1) come in an keep it from going bad and perishing shortly after me (as well as keeping it from stinking up the house) ... then they collectively would (2) systematically dismantle it and part it out ... giving it away to our local club members OR friends ... whoever they saw fit to give it to

dmh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband would do his best for as long as he could. But he does not have the experience.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer I'm living through this very scenario. My wife has zero interest in the hobby. I've got three 150 gallon tanks with a fish room stocked with all high end equipment. Not to mention the inhabitants of all these tanks. People want to buy this or that from you but that really doesn't take care of the total problem of liquidating. I'm also really not interested in tearing apart my hobby prior to my passing as I really enjoy my tanks. So, what I've done is made an agreement that my wife will call my LFS who I have already talked with and have them come in and liquidate my entire setup. Its going to be tough job requiring multiple days. They agreed to do the work at no cost for all the equipment. That sounded good to me, everybody wins. My wife is happy the power bill gets cut in half and LFS is happy with all the quality equipment they can sell.
I'm going to pray that the LFS has to wait a long time to collect that equipment and that the remaining days are full of joy enjoying your reef in the mean time.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much money as I have already spent on it I would be buried in it, LOL!!!

Vin's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have a notebook with all of the things my wife will need to know (bills, account numbers and banks, payroll, what to do with my business, car leases, safe numbers, life insurance info, etc etc ). Now I will have the phone number to my LFS right inside the front cover. I would tell them to keep everything and come RIGHT AWAY!

nmqtrhrse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter’s boyfriend is an aquarist at the aquarium. I hope that the guys that take care of my tank for me when I am out of town would get it taken down and donated to the aquarium.

Joe Heavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want all the fish and corals mummified and buried with me...
I always thought about that with parrots. They outlive humans. Imagine the achealogist untombing me and trying to piece the puzzle together with their theories. Maybe add some random objects to really confuse them. ;)

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would adding my cremation ashes to my tank be considered "carbon dosing?

If so, then I'd really be skimmed out and live up to my name Skimjim

Susan Bates

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Die....no one has a clue in my house and they would be freaked out with all the other things falling in their laps. They might realize there was a foul smelling swamp in the office at some later date...
That would be mine 2,

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think would be safe? Half a cup a week?

The founder of garf ashes were turned into artificial live rock but I believe that was for a new memorial reef.

If I dropped dead my wife could handle things until a friend could take the tank. I don't think she would sell it to them but if she did that's fine. If I was dying I would just make arrangements for someone to take it after I die since I'd obviously want to enjoy it as long as I could.

Susan Bates

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer I'm living through this very scenario. My wife has zero interest in the hobby. I've got three 150 gallon tanks with a fish room stocked with all high end equipment. Not to mention the inhabitants of all these tanks. People want to buy this or that from you but that really doesn't take care of the total problem of liquidating. I'm also really not interested in tearing apart my hobby prior to my passing as I really enjoy my tanks. So, what I've done is made an agreement that my wife will call my LFS who I have already talked with and have them come in and liquidate my entire setup. Its going to be tough job requiring multiple days. They agreed to do the work at no cost for all the equipment. That sounded good to me, everybody wins. My wife is happy the power bill gets cut in half and LFS is happy with all the quality equipment they can sell.
So very sorry, don't give up x

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back