SB POD HOTEL is live on the website!!!

Discussion in 'SB Reef Lights' started by SB Reef Lights, Aug 30, 2017.

1. SB Reef Lights

SB Reef Lights Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor

IMG_20170830_113824.jpg

Finally a way to get pods into your display tank!!

• Made in USA from quality acrylic
    • Easy tear down for cleaning
    • Portable Cryptic Zone for growing/housing pods
    • Easy transfer to display tank

Why a Pod Hotel? Seams like being a landlord is a hassle. Pods late on rent, AC out, building inspections, liability insurance... But seriously,

1. If you have Pods and no Pod Hotel, that means they are homeless. That makes you a mean uncaring host. Don't be a jerk, give them a high rise to live in like the Jeffersons.
    2. Pods are an important part of your clean up crew, not just food for fish and corals. Pods take detritus deep inside your live rock where it breaks down closer to anaerobic zones where bacteria that process nitrate live. Show me a tank with a ton of pods and I will show you low nitrates. They are the unsung hero of your clean up crew!
    3. Say you have a nice premium sump like one of our custom sumps, or Synergy Systems, or Trigger etc.. You're not putting rocks and sand into that beautiful sump to create a cryptic zone for pods. Or maybe your sump only has a skimmer chamber and no refugium. Again no rocks or sand in the skimmer compartment.
    4. If you have detritus and other goodies in your sump, why would pods make the treacherous journey through the bubble trap, sponge and finally return pump? Not to mention possibly a skimmer or UV. Nope, they are going to stay put, except for the occasional oddball Lewis and Clark type. Certainly not enough to maintain a display tank over time, especially if you have Mandarins or Wrasses.

So how does it work?

1. Simple, sink it in your sump. If you already have Pods...GREAT! If not pick some up at your local fish store and seed the sump. Insist they carry Coral Reefing Products Pods, Rotifers and Phyto. It's what Pods crave!
    2. When you are ready to harvest, turn on a light source, like a fuge light about 15 minutes prior. Pods will scatter for cover in the hotel. Now pick up the pod hotel, move it into the display tank and shake vigorously. You can also place the hotel on the bottom sand near rock work and wait an hour or more. Then return the hotel to the sump. Now that you have evicted most of the pods, others will move in. Note we purposefully block the top and bottom channels so you never dump 100% of the pods into the Display tank, leaving some for grow out when returned to the sump.
    3. The Pod Hotel has several floors with elevator shafts between, allowing for significant surface area for pods to colonize, move around and host killer rave parties. One hotel is sufficient for up to a 75g tank, 2 will cover through 150g and so on. Of course if your sump or refugium is healthy and teaming with pods, you could harvest daily, otherwise twice a week is a good start.

Large Pod.png
    IMG_20170830_113834.jpg
    IMG_20170830_113846.jpg

Tags:

2. WesleyC

WesleyC Well-Known Member

Interesting idea. I've been using Chaeto for that purpose. I may have to pick one up to test it out, and see if the pods like to go party in there. :)

GoVols and SB Reef Lights like this.
  3. Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws Well-Known Member

I just ordered one, I will post a review after I receive it.

4. WesleyC

WesleyC Well-Known Member

Awesome. Keep us posted!

GoVols likes this.
  5. Tiger-Paws

;Nailbiting

GoVols likes this.
  6. SB Reef Lights

And now a word from our resident Chubby Ginger Mad Scientist about the Pod Hotel.

7. DLHDesign

DLHDesign Noob R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Interested to see if this will work as a "Mandarin Feeder"...

GoVols likes this.
  8. SB Reef Lights

Watch the video to see our Mandarin Feeder prototype. Also have a Butterfly feeder coming out. As well as a Sea Horse feeder.

GoVols, domination2580 and DLHDesign like this.
  9. Tuffyyyyy

Tuffyyyyy Well-Known Member

Bleh. Wish I would have seen this when I stopped by!

elisa h likes this.
  10. Florida Sunshine

Florida Sunshine Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018

I suspect it will as it is very similar to Paul B's homemade mandarin feeder. This is larger though so it could be even better. The concept is right on at least.
    oops I was talking about the mandarin feeder in the video.

GoVols and DLHDesign like this.
  11. DLHDesign

DLHDesign Noob R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Same idea as PaulB's feeder - which is good to see entering the market as a buyable product (not everyone has the time/skill/desire to DIY stuff). But it will also have the same "shortcoming" that I have with it - which is that I still have to push brine shrimp into it. Which means I have to raise the brine shrimp. I've built out a hatchery, but the process of keeping it running and clean is not practical with my current schedule (2 young kids, work, etc.).

What I was hoping for (call it my "mandarin magic bullet") was something akin to the Pod Hotel that "plugs into" the feeder. Then the process becomes;
    1) Put the Hotel+Feeder into sump and populate it (seed it; lights on; wait 15min)
    2) Move the entire Hotel+Feeder into the DT and leave it there
    3) When empty, swap back into sump

In theory, you could run two of those on a counter schedule (swapping one for the other to keep the mandarin in grubs). No idea if the process would work, however (eg; how much food the fish needs vs. how much the Hotel+ could hold, how likely would it be that the pods would exit the Hotel+ for the fish to get at them, etc.)...

Another idea (while I'm tossing stuff out there) would be an in-sump brine hatchery... Something that I could just dump brine eggs into from time to time and it would hatch them. Connect it up to a dosing pump setup to push a batch of brine shrimp up to the feeder box from time to time...

12. DLHDesign

Now; about that custom printing... Have you thought of offering an "R2R" branded Pod Hotel? Might help you sell a few units... ;-)

13. Leslie Tabor

Leslie Tabor Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Any thoughts on when the mandarin feeder is going to available? I am SUPER interested in buying both!

14. Tiger-Paws

The Mandarin Feeder looks interesting, a product like this could be an answer to keeping the little creatures happy (and alive).

GoVols likes this.
  15. Branespikin

Branespikin Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Where do I purchase this pod hotel?

16. Branespikin

Branespikin Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Nevermind just read its on website
    v

17. SB Reef Lights

Now that is a good idea. I will get with rev and see if you would like to do that.

DLHDesign likes this.
  18. SB Reef Lights

I know there will be a lot of interest in the Mandarin Buffet. Since they are difficult creatures to keep and yet one of the most beautiful and amazing fish in the hobby. Especially when you get a mated pair. We are hoping we have less than 30 days of testing before we can release the final version. Our concerns were making it easy to clean as well as effective. While keeping the production and retail prices reasonable. We have to keep it at $30 or less in order for it to be an Impulse or add-on sale for your local fish store. It will be a great item for fish stores especially if they sell baby brine shrimp like we do. Creates a repeat customer while at the same time ensuring Success With The Mandarin. It's really a win for everyone.

19. teller

teller Well-Known Member

So funny your description!
    When my lights come on my female occelaris come up to inspect the usual places where pods are. Also does the royal gramma and bengai cardinal.
    Great idea!
    Despite I am in Europe, I love your ideas for this hobby.
    Good luck with your business and also with your new led light! Success!

SB Reef Lights likes this.
  20. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Excellence Award SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Ha! Such a great idea! I may have to get one of these.

GoVols and SB Reef Lights like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted