**SBB Corals- Mid Yea coral show!** 450 WYSIWYG coral Drop!!! Prize, games, Gift card Giveaway $1, $5 Corals. Hot New releases!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Nice!

I think one of my sbb mushrooms is starting to split!! All I have is this crappy pic as proof...
20220511_204952.jpg
One of mine split and then one of those jumped ship before I left for vacation. I tried to get it to attach to a rock or frag plug but it refused so I tossed it in my 5 gallon and it fell behind the rock work. I came back from vacation and it decided that it likes living in the GSP forest. Right on the edge of the GSP it just shows about a half inch of little orange fingers. Then, while I was gone the other one from that frag and the second no name jumped ship as well. One is MIA, the other went about 3" away to the sand bed. The cool thing is it's slowly making it's way towards the rock that is going to be the Rhodactis garden in the new tank once it's ready.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ulr one is just much easier to use..one regent..shake two minutes..hold button..wait 3 minutes..done
Do you use two seperate vials or just the one? Like one for the plain tank water and the another with the powder in it?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use two seperate vials or just the one? Like one for the plain tank water and the another with the powder in it?
No it’s one vial and one powdered reagent. Add tank water to vial and zero out checker, add powder reagent to vial and shake for 2 minutes, then put it back in the checker.
If you have ever used the HR Nitrate checker it is essentially the same procedure.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it’s one vial and one powdered reagent. Add tank water to vial and zero out checker, add powder reagent to vial and shake for 2 minutes, then put it back in the checker.
If you have ever used the HR Nitrate checker it is essentially the same procedure.
See I have always used 2 vials. I will have to do it per the instructions going forward. Just found it easier with 2. I am also not good at following instructions in general.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See I have always used 2 vials. I will have to do it per the instructions going forward. Just found it easier with 2. I am also not good at following instructions in general.
I’ve heard of others using one vial to zero it and another vial to add the reagent to. The only advantage that I am aware of is that you can test the same sample multiple times in a row. The bad part is that any differences in the glass will make your results be off. I’m not sure how much of a difference it makes since I’ve never tried with two vials. It would be an interesting to test. I’d guess that as long as both vials are clean and not scratched it probably doesn’t make that much of a difference.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve heard of others using one vial to zero it and another vial to add the reagent to. The only advantage that I am aware of is that you can test the same sample multiple times in a row. The bad part is that any differences in the glass will make your results be off. I’m not sure how much of a difference it makes since I’ve never tried with two vials. It would be an interesting to test. I’d guess that as long as both vials are clean and not scratched it probably doesn’t make that much of a difference.
Scratches in the glass do make a difference but so does any tinting to the water. If you get a slightly cloudier sample for one it'll throw your readings off. When we sample we rarely use two vials. Doing Cl2 well use two sometimes - 1 for free, one for total - but we always zero each sample separately. Take a sample, zero one vial, read the second vial. I've had them come back with readings like -0.02 and 0.03. not super bad for chlorine residuals, but when we're talking ULR...

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scratches in the glass do make a difference but so does any tinting to the water. If you get a slightly cloudier sample for one it'll throw your readings off. When we sample we rarely use two vials. Doing Cl2 well use two sometimes - 1 for free, one for total - but we always zero each sample separately. Take a sample, zero one vial, read the second vial. I've had them come back with readings like -0.02 and 0.03. not super bad for chlorine residuals, but when we're talking ULR...
I’ve never used 2 vials but I think next time I test I am going to do it both ways and see how much a difference it makes.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never used 2 vials but I think next time I test I am going to do it both ways and see how much a difference it makes.
sweet yeah maybe will try that as well. just feel rushed with the 1 vial method.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GOOD NEWS!!! AC man came to do the yearly check of my system and unlike the Furnace fiasco of 2022 the AC is perfect and NO CHARGE for the call or inspect (bc i bought a friggin new furnace). So more $$ for corals!!!
happy day dancing GIF by World Scouting

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
GOOD NEWS!!! AC man came to do the yearly check of my system and unlike the Furnace fiasco of 2022 the AC is perfect and NO CHARGE for the call or inspect (bc i bought a friggin new furnace). So more $$ for corals!!!
happy day dancing GIF by World Scouting
High Five Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Wakenbaker420

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wakenbaker420

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured you'd be excited!
Yep, always excited to see what SBB is bringing to the table. I have a couple corals that need to be replaced. Out of the 30+ corals over the last two sales I've lost my Psycho Kiwi, and the Pink Berry. Can't complain for the deals I got them for and not everything survives. Must be more sensitive to alkalinity swings then the rest.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back