***SBB- Spring Sale***- 800 WYSYWG - 200 Auctions! $1, $5 Corals. up to 80% off Starts 5/17/23!!! $1500 In Games and GIfts!!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got them when my p04 read .02. But maybe was bottomed out even though it read .02..I dunno. This was all with me dosing phosphate at the time so go figure. I'm no dinoologist fa sho.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Any thoughts about the Dinos I am having? I suppose the debate on whether Dinos consumed all the nutrients vs Dinos show up when nutrients are low has me thinking now. It does appear to be Dinos but my nutrients are still pretty high and have never bottomed out. Could be maybe just newer tank/rock stability issues, or no corralline/competing algaes present. I haven’t seen any of my numbers fluctuate much anywhere. Alk, Cal, Mag, Phos, NO3, PH have all been in the same general range for months.
No idea, I skipped some of the uglies. Said it before, but dosing Microbactor Clean since the get go has been great and I skipped dinos or cyano issues.

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got them when my p04 read .02. But maybe was bottomed out even though it read .02..I dunno. This was all with me dosing phosphate at the time so go figure. I'm no dinoologist fa sho.
Don’t know if there is any correlation in this, but here is what happened to me. Standard new tank bouts of algae here and there. Numbers were always good, but probably because the algae was helping keep it down. Then I started getting a little cyano and knew there was too much junk building in the tank. I made a big effort to start blowing the entire tank with a turkey baster everyday. Surprised how much junk was all in the rock work. After about three weeks, all the cyano disappeared and I noticed the green algae was starting to recede as well. After about a month, my nutrient levels started rising indicating to me that it was in fact the algae keeping the nutrients down. After a month and a half, algae was all gone and coraline started accelerating in its growth on everything. I’m still blowing everything off daily and have almost no visible algae of any kind in the tank. Nutrients stabilized at .08 phosphate and 15 nitrates.

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know if there is any correlation in this, but here is what happened to me. Standard new tank bouts of algae here and there. Numbers were always good, but probably because the algae was helping keep it down. Then I started getting a little cyano and knew there was too much junk building in the tank. I made a big effort to start blowing the entire tank with a turkey baster everyday. Surprised how much junk was all in the rock work. After about three weeks, all the cyano disappeared and I noticed the green algae was starting to recede as well. After about a month, my nutrient levels started rising indicating to me that it was in fact the algae keeping the nutrients down. After a month and a half, algae was all gone and coraline started accelerating in its growth on everything. I’m still blowing everything off daily and have almost no visible algae of any kind in the tank. Nutrients stabilized at .08 phosphate and 15 nitrates.
About a month ago I really started being a thorough cleaner, I’ve always blown stuff off rock work daily but I’ve started stirring sand a lot, cleaning out sump completely once a week. I did notice thanks to multiple efforts I seem to have cleaned up all of the algae in the tank and then boom now Dinos. Maybe getting rid of the other algae’s gave it space, no green hair or cyano or anything anymore. After about 2 weeks of clean clean tank, the Dinos popped up. Nutrients haven’t changed though. My phos runs anywhere from .02 to .1 but changes throughout the week and my nitrates are staying around 20.

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a month ago I really started being a thorough cleaner, I’ve always blown stuff off rock work daily but I’ve started stirring sand a lot, cleaning out sump completely once a week. I did notice thanks to multiple efforts I seem to have cleaned up all of the algae in the tank and then boom now Dinos. Maybe getting rid of the other algae’s gave it space, no green hair or cyano or anything anymore. After about 2 weeks of clean clean tank, the Dinos popped up. Nutrients haven’t changed though. My phos runs anywhere from .02 to .1 but changes throughout the week and my nitrates are staying around 20.
I set this tank up bare bottom and I think that has helped me with keeping the junk level down. The bottom is where most of it collects. About every two weeks I will go through the tank with a 500 gph power head and blow under the rocks good. I have to change my filter sock every 2-3 days, but we’ll worth it. Guess that would not be an option with a sand bottom.

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set this tank up bare bottom and I think that has helped me with keeping the junk level down. The bottom is where most of it collects. About every two weeks I will go through the tank with a 500 gph power head and blow under the rocks good. I have to change my filter sock every 2-3 days, but we’ll worth it. Guess that would not be an option with a sand bottom.
I change filter floss every 3 days but yeah it’s harder to clean everything thoroughly.

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brother in Abilene said there’s some serious thunderstorms coming through there. Guess your getting close to tornado season there.
I think we’ve had 2 already come through this year. Part of living here. Glad I don’t have to deal with hurricanes.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we’ve had 2 already come through this year. Part of living here. Glad I don’t have to deal with hurricanes.
I have a sister in law in Michigan we think about during tornado season. Then again, all parts of the country have their nature made issues. I live in the northeast where we have those lovely winter blizzards /nor’easters.

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sister in law in Michigan we think about during tornado season. Then again, all parts of the country have their nature made issues. I live in the northeast where we have those lovely winter blizzards /nor’easters.
I grew up in Michigan. I guess tornado season is pretty similar here and there.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You’re still dosing it? How are your phosphates and nitrates? Doesn’t it reduce nitrates and phos?
Yes and yes, but honestly not noticeable I think.

Btw I hate prepping for leaving, just doing some major tank cleaning, return pump, wave maker, etc. Making sure nothing will do fall to it's doom, I didn't get the second frag rack, shipping got delayed from salt water aquarium by multiple days ... ReefEco wall mount is super interesting.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Good Morning Love GIF by ircha_gram

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back