***SBB- Spring Sale***- 800 WYSYWG - 200 Auctions! $1, $5 Corals. up to 80% off Starts 5/17/23!!! $1500 In Games and GIfts!!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I thought about dishwasher gloves. I have to use something that would be long fitting and loose.
That’s my thought. I’ve seen people talk about it on various threads in the past.

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I thought about dishwasher gloves. I have to use something that would be long fitting and loose.
I got these when I first started because I was terrified of palytoxins but they developed a hole very quick. I think I only used them twice. Something like this would work well for you I think. They are loose fitting and long, but I’d go with a different brand.

A2791896-FCA4-4933-9ABA-99B3758A8AFD.png

Thuan

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I got these when I first started because I was terrified of palytoxins but they developed a hole very quick. I think I only used them twice. Something like this would work well for you I think. They are loose fitting and long, but I’d go with a different brand.

Hubby got this exact same pair for me. works good

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I started seeing some what I assume is bryopsis growing at the base of several of my Acros. I had been pulling it off the plugs and really scraping the area good but it keeps showing back up. Tuesday evening before lights out I dosed just under the recommend dose of Flux RX. I'm looking today, 1.5 days after the dose, and the bryopsis or whatever it is is limp, wispy, and my Foxface is eating it...

Question: if I clean the glass and blow out the rocks should I run coral snow during Flux treatment or wait until treatment is finished?

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here, I really like these.
I don’t remember where I saw them as a recommendation but they were highly recommended. Very possible I just accidentally poked through one of them while removing frags from plugs.

Lol when I first got started I was wearing these gloves at all times with a face mask and foggy goggles like a mad scientist when I was messing with any Zoas. After further research I’m pretty confident that there isn’t too much to worry about unless they are brown palys but it’s still a bit of a controversial topic.

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t remember where I saw them as a recommendation but they were highly recommended. Very possible I just accidentally poked through one of them while removing frags from plugs.

Lol when I first got started I was wearing these gloves at all times with a face mask and foggy goggles like a mad scientist when I was messing with any Zoas. After further research I’m pretty confident that there isn’t too much to worry about unless they are brown palys but it’s still a bit of a controversial topic.
Careful on that last one, everything I've seen says basically any zoa/paly can have it. In fact I'm pretty sure I saw some literature speculating that it's based of the ingestion of some cyanobacteria that turns it toxic. So something that didn't have any palytoxin in someone else's tank can develop it in yours zoa's included

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful on that last one, everything I've seen says basically any zoa/paly can have it. In fact I'm pretty sure I saw some literature speculating that it's based of the ingestion of some cyanobacteria that turns it toxic. So something that didn't have any palytoxin in someone else's tank can develop it in yours zoa's included
Very open to understanding this more but just out of curiosity I found the article where I got the information I stated earlier. Looking around again, I see a lot about exactly what you are saying, that the coral itself doesn’t create the palytoxin but that it in fact turns certain bacteria toxic internally. It’s sort of frustrating that there is disagreement about this all around and that the best practice is probably to handle all Zoas and Palys as if they contained palytoxin, but that may be the best we can do at this point.

Here’s the article:

This particular article makes a statement that:

“First and foremost, if your button polyps are a bright and colorful red or yellow or orange or pink, you are not in any danger. The vast majority of such specimens which enter the trade are either Zoanthus vietnamensis or Zoanthus sansibaricus. The abundant red and green zoas exported from Vietnam are the latter, and these are apparently lacking in palytoxin at any detectable level.”

And

“The truly potent species appear to be limited entirely to the genus Palythoa, which is currently placed in a separate family, Sphenopidae. Pedantically speaking, these are neither “zoas” nor zoanthids, so be careful with your choice of words when discussing them.”

So reading this and hearing about 30 year plus veterans that handle Zoas daily without issue made me decide not to worry so much, but maybe never pour boiling water on them or something silly like that.

Again this is just one article, it’s a loaded topic and I still don’t think there is any consensus on it but I’m open to learning more.

Edit. Also remember seeing these pictures and thinking, don’t buy brown palys.

C3A9B927-395E-463F-9459-D0FD5BA46859.png

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hahahahaa....going deep on them palys!!!

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything else looks good though? Weird for one to RTN.
Looks like the red dragon is a goner too. Bumblebee, sun god Millie, 5 Tenuis, carebears and 4 other Gonis, 5 mushrooms, cotton candy torch are all doing really good.

Honestly I think they just had a stressful shipping journey this time for some reason. Maybe it was a little hot outside. Normally I see some PE and pieces look good right when they go in, but I didn’t see any this time, though they didn’t look terrible either.

09E6E6CA-57C1-40FF-8FD8-BADA128B8083.jpeg

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Looks like the red dragon is a goner too. Bumblebee, sun god Millie, 5 Tenuis, carebears and 4 other Gonis, 5 mushrooms, cotton candy torch are all doing really good.

Honestly I think they just had a stressful shipping journey this time for some reason. Maybe it was a little hot outside. Normally I see some PE and pieces look good right when they go in, but I didn’t see any this time, though they didn’t look terrible either.

Red dragon is a goner please dm us for your store credit

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Mine looked pretty stressed on shipping day as well which is why my unboxing video goes to one day later. There wasn't a heat pack in mine this time. But everything is doing good for me.

Where did you place the red dragon?

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
For everybody who got in on pre release yellow one we have named in The SBB " Hologram" its honestly the nicest tenuis we have seen in a long time and is our fav tenuis currently in our collection. We will be bringing a few frags to rap ny with a very heft price tag 20230605_125927.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 47 33.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back