SC Aquariums 50 gallon PNP

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I did a calcium test right now and got 400 with the red sea kit and 445 with the Hannah checked. I'm using RODI and not distilled so it makes sense that the Hannah is reading a little high.

I did adjust the dosing a tad so we'll see what happens. I think my params are pretty good though. As you can see I have some coralline coming in and most of the corals are looking decent.

20190727_115614.jpg
20190727_115624.jpg
20190727_115706.jpg
20190727_115730.jpg
20190727_115735.jpg
20190727_115746.jpg
20190727_115750.jpg
20190727_115809.jpg
20190727_115901.jpg
20190727_115925.jpg
20190727_115929.jpg
20190727_115901.jpg
Dang man looks great!

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my Diamond Goby died today. I woke up to it barely being able to control itself. I took a quick video and it was dead shortly after. As far as I know it was eating fine. It appears the hawkfish and wrasse were showing aggression towards it as it was dying. Not sure if it is just because it was floating towards them or if it has anything to do with why it died. Basically have no clue what exactly happened here.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my Diamond Goby died today. I woke up to it barely being able to control itself. I took a quick video and it was dead shortly after. As far as I know it was eating fine. It appears the hawkfish and wrasse were showing aggression towards it as it was dying. Not sure if it is just because it was floating towards them or if it has anything to do with why it died. Basically have no clue what exactly happened here.

Sorry to hear that brother.

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hear dude. he looks super skinny? i've never kept one, but i've read they struggle long term because they run out of stuff to eat in the sand. idk if it eating mysis and what not makes up for it needing something in the sand

Yeah I noticed that too. He was the most shy of all my fish but he would eat at least a few peices. My wrasse and hawkfish are pigs so it's possible he wasn't getting enough food. My tank was being fed once a day while I was on vacation and when I came back I switched back to every other day. I hate the thought that I may have starved the little fella. I thought everyone looked like they were in good health. I'll be sure to take a good look at each fish tomorrow to see that they are all nice and plump.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I noticed that too. He was the most shy of all my fish but he would eat at least a few peices. My wrasse and hawkfish are pigs so it's possible he wasn't getting enough food. My tank was being fed once a day while I was on vacation and when I came back I switched back to every other day. I hate the thought that I may have starved the little fella. I thought everyone looked like they were in good health. I'll be sure to take a good look at each fish tomorrow to see that they are all nice and plump.
What are you feeding them these days? I feed 2x a day minimum. SW fish(reef mainly) have much higher metabolisms than fw fish.

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding them these days? I feed 2x a day minimum. SW fish(reef mainly) have much higher metabolisms than fw fish.

Mostly reef frenzy nano, also mysis and brine. I kind of mix up the frequency and amount. Usually it's about half a cube every other day. Sometimes it's 1/4 cube daily and sometimes it's 3/4 of a cube. Finding the right amount of food for me has been challenging because of all the algea issues. Maybe I should switch back to daily feeding. Not sure if it's a myth but the fish are definetly eating the size of their eyeball each feeding. Likely a good 5 times more (just a really rough guesstimate). But as you pointed out if their metabolism is high then they just may need to be fed more often. I'll probably start feeding every day and see what happens. I'll post some vids of the fish tomorrow in case someone notices something I don't.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i wouldnt be so hard on yourself man, seems like lots of people feed their tanks a minimal amount

i really like feeding so.. i feed a lot. thankfully for refugium + nopox + skimmer. i would've been on the strugglebus back in the day when people were aiming for 0 phosphates 0 nitrates lol

for comparison i have 10 fish and i feed at least 1 cube of whatever + a piece of lrs/rods + some random pellets/flakes when i'm bored. my fish are little chunkers, so i just have the flow cranked so they have to work out all day!

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you lost the goby.
I don't have cubed frozen food, but in comparison; the amount of PE mysis and pellets I feed my 3 fish per day is the same or more than your 1/4 cube per day.
I agree, just bump up the feeding schedule or amount of food.

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wouldnt be so hard on yourself man, seems like lots of people feed their tanks a minimal amount

i really like feeding so.. i feed a lot. thankfully for refugium + nopox + skimmer. i would've been on the strugglebus back in the day when people were aiming for 0 phosphates 0 nitrates lol

for comparison i have 10 fish and i feed at least 1 cube of whatever + a piece of lrs/rods + some random pellets/flakes when i'm bored. my fish are little chunkers, so i just have the flow cranked so they have to work out all day!
D13163DF-AE9E-4EAF-ADB0-698CE36CD412.jpeg

My guys get 4 cubes a day for reference.
Sorry you lost the goby.
I don't have cubed frozen food, but in comparison; the amount of PE mysis and pellets I feed my 3 fish per day is the same or more than your 1/4 cube per day.
I agree, just bump up the feeding schedule or amount of food.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll start feeding at least half a cube at least once a day again. I think the algea outbreaks made me cut down too much. I always associated an algea outbreak with over feeding but maybe that's not the case always and/or I need to ensure other methods of algea removal are ramped up.

Speaking of algea I do have a green area in my sand that is growing and I think it has some bubbles in it. I'll take some pics/video tomorrow to check to see how bad the prognosis is.

I really would like to get another Goby but I guess I should think on it for a little bit and make sure everyone else is doing fine.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is a video of the fish and the tank. Kind of hard to see the fish since they move so fast. Maybe they could use some fattening up. Also check out the green algea I'm getting. Hopefully it's nothing too serious. Lots of coralline coming in!

Green cyano. Your corals look nutrient deprived as well. I’d start feeding more. 2x a day.

Still looks good though :)

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol Nicee. What’s your nitrate and phosphate? Just curious.

Good question! I ran out of the phosphate reagent about a month ago. I'm not going to lie, I've gotten a bit lazy with the testing. It was a little higher than usual but I couldn't verify with another test as I had ran out of reagent. I also had brought my salinity up to 1.026 since then.

Screenshot_20190817-130822.jpg

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question! I ran out of the phosphate reagent about a month ago. I'm not going to lie, I've gotten a bit lazy with the testing. It was a little higher than usual but I couldn't verify with another test as I had ran out of reagent. I also had brought my salinity up to 1.026 since then.

Screenshot_20190817-130822.jpg
Calcium sill in the 300’s! Your killing me ! Lol. Get it up to 420 and keep it there, things will look even better.

Don’t feed any dry food for awhile including reef roids, let that phosphate come down. That’s high for only 5 nitrate.

Bump up your flow on the side of the tank with the green cyano by your euphyllia, that should help.

Your fish look healthy, clowns and hawk are a little thin but that wrasse is juicy. :)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back