SCA 50 Cube Build Thread

Jefdav84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After much debate with going back and forth on a system I finally decided on a SCA 50 Cube. So far I couldn't be more pleased with the quality, and customer service from SCA. The system arrived safely a few weeks back (No I did not get a picture of the packaging sitting in the garage). I did not do this because i hurried and ripped everything open to check for any damages while the delivery driver was still here.

It has now been a few weeks, and I finally have all of the system upstairs. Mainly due to time, and needed some help getting it upstairs. I want to thank a fellow member here DiscGolfRob for all of his assistance on multiple questions I had about the system. He took the time to send me very detailed plumbing answers, and even PVC measurements.

I will keep the thread updated as much as I can with progress made on the build. I do have more questions regarding plumbing. I will post those when I am able to get some pictures to go along with the questions.

IMG_20190824_200120.jpg

OP
OP
Jefdav84

Jefdav84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the overflow plumbing goes this is what I received with the tank. I did not include the 3 bulkheads in this picture. Just so i have this right this is the order from left to right.

1) Emergency drain stand pipe
2) Return w/ loc lines
3) Regular drain? I am most confused about this piece. I am not sure if i am missing something, but a strainer does not fit in the top like I have seen on other builds, and the bottom piece is not a snug fit sitting down in the bulkhead.

4) Assuming this ball valve would be part of the drain piece going in to the sump, but I will not be using it.

I have purchased the PVC pipe, and fittings that I will be using as well.

IMG_20190825_123956.jpg

OP
OP
Jefdav84

Jefdav84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question I had regarding the return pump. So it came with only the larger barb attachment that I think may be 1inch. Would I use that on the bottom end of the pump and leave the cover off?

I bought a smaller attachment for the top but it may be a tad too small. The included return hose will fit on it but not snug.

IMG_20190824_205707.jpg
IMG_20190824_210152.jpg

DiscGolfRob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good spot for the tank!

As far as the overflow plumbing goes this is what I received with the tank. I did not include the 3 bulkheads in this picture. Just so i have this right this is the order from left to right.

1) Emergency drain stand pipe
2) Return w/ loc lines
3) Regular drain? I am most confused about this piece. I am not sure if i am missing something, but a strainer does not fit in the top like I have seen on other builds, and the bottom piece is not a snug fit sitting down in the bulkhead.

4) Assuming this ball valve would be part of the drain piece going in to the sump, but I will not be using it.

I have purchased the PVC pipe, and fittings that I will be using as well.

IMG_20190825_123956.jpg

Just to make sure, this won't be the layout of each of these pieces, exactly. 1) In my setup, my emergency drain goes from the right bulkhead, into the second section of the sump.
2) The return goes into the center bulkhead, as shown, then plumbed into the third section of the sump. I did not use the tubing that came with the tank. I got the braided stuff, from BRS.
3) I didn't use most of the included plumbing, and I don't even remember this piece. It looks like a reducer, maybe to go from PVC to the tubing, to the pump? I'll have to look, tonight, see if I still have it, and figure out what it's intended for.
4) Your main drain should go from the left bulkhead, into the first section of your sump. This should be as straight of a run as possible, and the valve allows you to adjust flow (gate valve, in my setup). I followed the recommendation to remove the baffle that splits the first section of the sump into two parts. I'm glad that I did, because it gets very tight with the skimmer and filter sock.

Attaching the return pump seems to be a common issue with this setup. My barb is on top (cover is still on), and I had to really shove to get the braided tubing over the barb. I have also seen people that have had a more loose fit, and used a clamp to tighten. I wouldn't use the metal ones that came with this setup, though. BRS has some nice plastic ratchet clamps.

I hope this helps. When I get a chance, I'll look through the leftover stock pieces I have, and see if I can offer a bit more explanation.

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since I posted an update. Last few weeks have been pretty busy for me. I was however able to do a dry fitting for the PVC this evening. If anyone sees anything that can be changed or improved just let me know.

IMG_20190915_210738.jpg
Looks really good the only thing I recommend is to rotate the emergency drain over by your other drain to free up the center chamber. I will see if I can find a picture of how I did mine.

OP
OP
Jefdav84

Jefdav84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really good the only thing I recommend is to rotate the emergency drain over by your other drain to free up the center chamber. I will see if I can find a picture of how I did mine.

Thanks! I will try that and hopefully be able to go ahead and glue everything this evening. I noticed that you and Rob use the filter socks. Do you like them? If so let me know and maybe I will order that same set.

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I will try that and hopefully be able to go ahead and glue everything this evening. I noticed that you and Rob use the filter socks. Do you like them? If so let me know and maybe I will order that same set.
I do like the filter sock, I really only run one when doing maintenance but they are nice to polish the water.

DiscGolfRob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like the filter sock, I really only run one when doing maintenance but they are nice to polish the water.
I would also strongly recommend cutting the divider out between the skimmer and drain section.

I have been running mine, full-time, but this makes perfect sense to me. Changing them is a pain with the skimmer in place, but would be even more of a pain, if I hadn't cut that divider out.

OP
OP
Jefdav84

Jefdav84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few questions I have right now

1) How much water volume is recommended in this sump? I have seen a few articles referencing 7 inches but not sure if that applies to this particular sump.

2) Does the drain and emergency drain sit 1" below that sump water volume?

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few questions I have right now

1) How much water volume is recommended in this sump? I have seen a few articles referencing 7 inches but not sure if that applies to this particular sump.

2) Does the drain and emergency drain sit 1" below that sump water volume?
The water level should be between 7-9” depending on your skimmer. I run mine right around 8”. The main drain should be roughly 1-1.5” below the water line emergency can be the same length.

OP
OP
Jefdav84

Jefdav84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the plumbing finished up and glued down. Waited 2 full days before i put any water through it. The water test seemed to go well for the most part. It seems like there may be some water leaking from the bulkhead on the emergency drain when i tested it. I tried to tighten them all up again, and it seemed OK, but still concerning.

Anyone have any issues with bulkheads in the past?

Seem to be having an issue as well where some water splashed on outside of tank when filling it up and it seemed to run down, and get under the bottom. Had to drain and lift the tank a little to get a paper town under to dry it up. Is there supposed to be some sort of mat that goes in between the bottom of the tank and stand? If so I never received one, but at this point I may just go buy one if I do need one.

Going to do some more testing tonight to make sure there are no leaks, and everything functions correctly.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 37.9%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back