Why-Me

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other thoughts:
I need calibration solution for my ph probe, it's been sitting in stagnant water for a year. It works still and gives a value in Fusion, just don't know if accurate anymore.
Going to St. Louis for Easter weekend, will use apex to watch and control my 44gal cycling brute can.

Tomorrow I may mess around with the reeflink, mp10 and radion just for yuks.
No wxm for apex and not sure I want one yet since I have reeflink mp10 and xr15 together, time will tell.

OP
OP
Why-Me

Why-Me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After leaving everything plugged in for 24hrs now, I have a sense of what's going on.
I believe my pH probe is bad and needs to be replaced, this thing is all over the place and fluctuates wildly. Ex. past 3hrs pH has been between 8.06 to 9.48
Temp probe works great and my bucket has been between 77.3 and 78.3 avg of 77.8
I unboxed the mp10 and reeflink today, got that set up and connected reeflink to my radion and mp10.
It all works together, good day all in all.

Last edited:

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After leaving everything plugged in for 24hrs now, I have a sense of what's going on.
I believe my pH probe is bad and needs to be replaced, this thing is all over the place and fluctuates wildly. Ex. past 3hrs pH has been between 8.06 to 9.48
Temp probe works great and my bucket has been between 77.3 and 78.3 avg of 77.8
I unboxed the mp10 and reeflink today, got that set up and connected reeflink to my radion and mp10.
It all works together, good day all in all.
Yeah if your probe has been in water for a year it's likely bad - I would suggest purchasing on probe storage solution (hanna has good solution) for long term storage.

OP
OP
Why-Me

Why-Me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, thanks for the tip for probe storage in the future.
I don't plan on storing another pH probe anytime soon so I will replace it with a new one and use from day 1.
Now I'm thinking of a stocking list for this tank.
I'll add my wanted fish list in a bit here, later today.
I will definitely need help whittling down the list to a sizable selection that will work for this size tank.

OP
OP
Why-Me

Why-Me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RussM #ApexUsers @Terence
Is there a maximum distance I can connect my DC8 from my Apex lite head unit. It's the one that connects via phone jack.
I'd like to control a second tank in a different part of the house with the DC8. I believe the distance I need to travel is around 40ft with a max of 50ft. from tank to tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Why-Me

Why-Me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much. It took a while of messing with and chiseling, leaving it for a day or two just to look at etc.
I've been inspired by the BRS/WWC method. So I'm going Bare Bottom/High Flow mostly sps but will be a mixed reef as I gotta have some flow with a torch or hammer colony maybe even a BTA (I know that's not a coral)

OP
OP
Why-Me

Why-Me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Crabby48 @Katrina71 @Musovski @NY_Caveman @Philipgonzales3 @Hemmdog @jlanger

Here's the deal:
I have a long list of fish I'd love to have, obviously too many for my 50 gallon cube so I need help whittling this list down to something sizable that will fit this tank and cohabitate well together. Some may not be reef safe as well. Something to keep in mind I do have 2nd tank to setup for my daughter, right now 20 tall but pretty sure I will get her a 40B as an upgrade.
I've also added a bunch of wrasses that will work for this bare bottom, not that I want them all, lol. I need to stick to Paracheilinus & Cirrhilabrus genus of wrasses.
The only must have on the list is the clownfish pair and a wrasse.
Apparently I like dottybacks too.
Remember this will be Bare Bottom tank.

Mocha-Vinci Clownfish Pair - No compromises here
Yellow Candy Hogfish
Aiptasia Eating Filefish
Sammara Squirrelfish
Mandarin Goby - In a year with mature tank?
Flame Cardinalfish
Lantern Bass
Neon Dottyback
Randall's Assessor Basslet
Splendid Dottyback
Some sort of smaller puffer ie valentini, saddleback, spotted,, blue dotted etc.
Whitetail Dottyback
McCosker Flasher wrasse
Carpenter's flasher wrasse
yellow fin wrasse
whip fin wrasse
purple lined wrasse
exquisite wrasse
blueside wrasse
red eye wrasse
Cirrhilabrus wrasse
Lubbocks wrasse
scotts wrasse
rosy scales fairy wrasse
orange back fairy wrasse
social wrasse
laboute's wrasse
Lunate Fairy Wrasse
rhomboid wrasse
dotted wrasse
yellowband wrasse

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here's the deal:
I have a long list of fish I'd love to have, obviously too many for my 50 gallon cube so I need help whittling this list down to something sizable that will fit this tank and cohabitate well together. Some may not be reef safe as well. Something to keep in mind I do have 2nd tank to setup for my daughter, right now 20 tall but pretty sure I will get her a 40B as an upgrade.
I've also added a bunch of wrasses that will work for this bare bottom, not that I want them all, lol. I need to stick to Paracheilinus & Cirrhilabrus genus of wrasses.

Yellow Candy Hogfish
Aiptasia Eating Filefish
Sammara Squirrelfish
Flame Cardinalfish
Lantern Bass
Neon Dottyback
Splendid Dottyback
Some sort of smaller puffer ie valentini, saddleback, spotted,, blue dotted etc.
Whitetail Dottyback
McCosker Flasher wrasse
yellow fin wrasse
whip fin wrasse
purple lined wrasse
exquisite wrasse
blueside wrasse
red eye wrasse
Cirrhilabrus wrasse
Lubbocks wrasse
scotts wrasse
rosy scales fairy wrasse
orange back fairy wrasse
social wrasse
laboute's wrasse
Lunate Fairy Wrasse
rhomboid wrasse
dotted wrasse
yellowband wrasse

I'm too new to saltwater so I don't know what most of the fish look like. I'll Google them in my free time. My vote goes to Mandarin Goby after a year. I really would like to have one someday. You can get one and then you can give me tips on your success after a while. Then eventually I can get one ;).

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here's the deal:

Yellow Candy Hogfish
Aiptasia Eating Filefish
Sammara Squirrelfish
Flame Cardinalfish
Lantern Bass
Neon Dottyback
Splendid Dottyback
Whitetail Dottyback
McCosker Flasher wrasse
yellow fin wrasse
whip fin wrasse
purple lined wrasse
exquisite wrasse
blueside wrasse
red eye wrasse
Cirrhilabrus wrasse
Lubbocks wrasse
scotts wrasse
rosy scales fairy wrasse
orange back fairy wrasse
social wrasse
laboute's wrasse
Lunate Fairy Wrasse
rhomboid wrasse
dotted wrasse
yellowband wrasse

Mandarin Goby will survive as long as it has copepods to eat. So start seeding Copepods now!!

Anyways, youve made it very hard to choose!
My liste of approval:
Sammara
Flame Cardinalfish
Lantern bass
Randall Basslet
and all those wrasse

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start. I like that list with an exception I'd change out the randall basslet for splendid dottyback or another wrasse of course.

You already stated a preference for another fish but I would also personally not go with the basslet. I think I read they are a deeper water species and hide a lot.

Also below is an excerpt from the live aquaria website. May be best for a FOWLR with lower lighting. You may already know this info but just stating what I think from the very little bit of reading I did on basslets.

"As deep-water dwellers, the ORA Captive-Bred Randall's Assessor Basslet does better in an aquarium with slightly subdued lighting."

All the basslets look really nice looking from what I've seen. I thought about getting one for my tank early on. It was on the list of "maybes". I ultimately decided not to go with any shipped fish. Wanted my best chance for success since I'm so new. Didn't want to add another variable. With the shipping luck I've had lately, I'm glad I opted to get my fish local.

Man, now I want a bigger tank to get more fish. Maybe when we buy a new house. I have to go up to at least a 200 gallon or so. Then I can get my reef shop to custom order some more fish. Sorry to get off topic, just hard not to want to go bigger haha.

If you get a basslet, get this one!

It's only $649. From what I remember there is a poor man's version for about 10% of the cost. But get this anyway lol.

https://m.liveaquaria.com/divers-den/product/451839/curacao-deepwater-candy-basslet

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back