Why-Me

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL
only if I have a VR headset that photoshops it on auto daily...
I'll get a candy basslet some day, probably when I get bigger tank.
I've been thinking my next one up already. Going to be SCA 112Gal 60 x 18 x 24 in wall room divider to be seen from both sides so it will have to be peninsula or dual end overflow.

OP
OP
Why-Me

Why-Me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I'm going to use my pink E-Marco 400 hydraulic cement to strengthen and cover up the white JB waterweld that I used to stick the rocks together.
Later I will empty this 5 Gal bucket and set everything up in one of my small tanks here. I have a 5, 10 and 20 tall to choose from.
pH probe is still swinging rapidly but last night I had a 3hr period that it didn't move from 8.86 to 8.89 then went all over the place an hour after that stability. Grrr, I'll just replace it.

OP
OP
Why-Me

Why-Me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so after thinking about it for a minute I'll leave the bucket setup, so I don't have to break down the small tank on Tuesday when I get my Brute and start my cycle.
Hurry up Tuesday what's taking you so long??

OP
OP
Why-Me

Why-Me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, in a 44gal brute can. Will cycle them for probably 2 months by the time I have everything else ready and set up.
At that point I should be able to put rock, water and fish in at same time no wait, we'll see how it all plays out.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
idk about basslets with a dottyback. i have an orchid and its supposedly the most peaceful dottyback and it can still be kind of rude. i'd at least put the basslet in first and let them get super established before adding the dottyback.. and even then ehh

although your rockwork is cool and kind of separated, so maybe the dottyback will just take ownership of one rock area. mine is just pile of rocks pretty much so the dottyback kind of claimed the entire bottom area of the tank

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was kinda worried about that because unfortunately most of the fish on my list are semi aggressive. I'll have to adjust accordingly.

yeah i'm no fish expert, but i saw a number of fish i'd be weary of adding on your list. like the hogfish, i wanted one but researched them on here and they are downright belligerent when they mature to wrasses and mow down CUC. dottybacks can be pretty mean to wrasses since they're similar body shape and wrasses sleep in the rocks at night. then some of the wrasses you listed won't stand other wrasses like the scotts or whip fin.

i'd narrow down what you really like and run it by eatbreakfast, that dude knows him some fish

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, in a 44gal brute can. Will cycle them for probably 2 months by the time I have everything else ready and set up.
At that point I should be able to put rock, water and fish in at same time no wait, we'll see how it all plays out.

Adding ammonia or a shrimp?
I like your plan. I guess you may have a mini/short cycle after you move thing over

OP
OP
Why-Me

Why-Me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr tim's ammonium chloride
Right? That's why I said we'll see how it plays out, because of the uncertainty of having a mini cycle. Either way I should have them in QT and ready to go whether it's right away or after that mini cycle finishes.

OP
OP
Why-Me

Why-Me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i'm no fish expert, but i saw a number of fish i'd be weary of adding on your list. like the hogfish, i wanted one but researched them on here and they are downright belligerent when they mature to wrasses and mow down CUC. dottybacks can be pretty mean to wrasses since they're similar body shape and wrasses sleep in the rocks at night. then some of the wrasses you listed won't stand other wrasses like the scotts or whip fin.

i'd narrow down what you really like and run it by eatbreakfast, that dude knows him some fish
Perfect that was the exact plan, to narrow it down and run it by someone who knows their fishees.

OP
OP
Why-Me

Why-Me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got my rocks finalized with the E-Marco 400. I like it. I took a rock that I somewhat hollowed out to make a cave/cove and added that as well today. I'll post pics.
First 2 pics are of the rock work with E-Marco 400 but not the cove yet.
The last 3 pics are of the added cove, depth perception of this rock is hard to get on camera, but it's a cove a wrasse could sleep in.
I also have a cool ledge piece I've been thinking of adding to the bottom on it's own towards the back left of the tank behind the big swim thru. (Didn't take a pic of the ledge piece)

rock19.jpg
rock20.jpg
rock21.jpg
rock22.jpg
rock23.jpg

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember the discussion now. I think I was 5 weeks with the dry sand and rock. 3/4 the way though I add fritz bacteria.
You will have enough time that’s for sure

Rocks look great. I like the Emarco cement but should have used some like you first.

OP
OP
Why-Me

Why-Me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a brute can yesterday it's sitting here and things have been ordered. I will have everything by Friday so Saturday will officially be Day 1 of the cycle.
So excited to finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. The only setback is that the Red Sea test kit won't be here until Tuesday to Friday of next week but that shouldn't be an issue.

Amazon
amcap.JPG

BRS
BRScap.JPG

Last edited:

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a brute can yesterday it's sitting here and things have been ordered. I will have everything by Friday so Saturday will officially be Day 1 of the cycle.
So excited to finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. The only setback is that the Red Sea test kit won't be here until Tuesday to Friday of next week but that shouldn't be an issue.

Amazon
amcap.JPG

BRS
BRScap.JPG

Man oh man. Things are happening! The cycle is the hard part for me. Time feels like it slows down during a cycle.

I'm not getting notifications for this post. Boo!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back