SCA 94 Gal (60 x 18 x 20) Build Log

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting this build thread a bit early since I haven't purchased the tank yet, but designing everything around the tank which will probably be purchased after the start of the year. However, I'm already starting the build of the stand. So, I thought I would start with the progress on the stand build as a part of this build thread.

Background, I currently have a 40 Gal bowfront as my first reef tank and after almost 1 year in the hobby I'm definitely hooked and ready to upgrade. This 112 tank with be my first tank with a sump.

I envisioned a tank in this spot in my living room behind my sofa. There is a perfect area of open tile floor to fit a tank of this dimension (60x18x20). After planning enough things out I decided to move forward with this. The interesting thing about this stand and placement is the cabinet will open from the back and the tank facing forward towards the living room. I'm building the stand with the mindset that if I move and want to place the tank in normal orientation, the stand can easily work for that also with minor modifications.

I'm using this stand design without the center brace for easy access of sump removal if needed. I will be putting siding and trim next and will be finishing the cabinet in an antique white type finish. I've been practicing some antiquing techniques and the cabinet will match my kitchen cabinets somewhat, so I'll be showing the progress of the stand building before moving on the the tank itself in a couple of months.

IMG_5174.jpg

IMG_5138.jpg

Last edited:

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. My wife didn’t go for it until I photoshopped a picture of a reef tank in that spot, then she was all for it. Pictures do wonders.
Ha! Good thinking!

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome man I'm looking forward to your build. You have just given me closure in a way. I have been planning on setting up a small tank 28 gallon. And have since realized I want a bigger tank. So instead of investing heavily on the 28 gallon I'm going to keep it very simple. And save the extra cash for a larger tank. Looking forward to your progress.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. My wife didn’t go for it until I photoshopped a picture of a reef tank in that spot, then she was all for it. Pictures do wonders.

Very smart! I started my build thread early too and I am glad I did. It is great to look back and see how it evolved and see what changed.

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some advice.

I've been continuing with my stand build. Still have more to do on the outside trim and painting, but I started painting the inside. I wanted just a flat black finish in the inside, so I started painting the interior with rustoleum flat black, felt that would be a good sealer also. However, I wasn't painting every nook and cranny under the plywood where the sump base would be. But I was thinking about painting under that now also.

My question is about a liner for the sump area in the stand. I read about some lining the stand under the sump with either pond liner or shower liner. I understand spills may/will happen, but my home is all tile floor, so if spills happens I'm not worried about my home floor getting damaged. So is a liner really necessary? I'm more worried about will various spills over the years get into wood areas in the stand that weren't painted and cause rot?

stand2.jpg

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Funny I found that thread from doing a google search. I just kind of browsed through it at first because it mainly focused on the brand of paint vs. the concerns I had about a liner, if I needed it or not. I'll read it again. I wanted to keep the bottom as neat as I could for as long as I can, so if I do put a liner or small containment around the sump to catch spills, I want it to look neat.

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continuing with the stand build. I painted the stand an off white base the other day, and then applied a stain rub over the whole thing. I really didn’t know what to expect since I only tried it on sample pieces. But happy with the result so far for an antiquing look. Now just waiting for the stain to dry for a few days then lightly sand it and will add a satin poly clear over it. Hard to get a good picture to capture it, but I like the way it came out.

140E42C4-5C75-4EED-8599-8CBB56C16C48.jpeg

FAF92F32-0475-40A7-83EF-B16B7CC6EA91.jpeg

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m continuing with my build since Christmas is over. I made my first of 3 doors for the stand. These doors can basically be made for about $10 each if you have the tools, I attached 1x3 boards with pocket screws. I’ve shown a picture of the back of the door to see how i routed a 1/4” notch in the back and used left over bead board panel for the inset. It will match perfect with the stand just need to paint it now.

Also, I ordered a Crystal 36 sump from BRS, and the blue foam shows the foot print it will fit in the stand.
F7696B7C-A483-4363-BA8C-97199EEBDB70.jpeg
D46DC460-5299-46D8-9D8F-2C0C8A80AF8C.jpeg

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another cheap but effective addition was adding these dimmable LED tape strips around the entire inner upper perimeter of the stand to illuminate the inside of the stand for maintenance. 16 ft tape strip was just enough.
A44E54FE-D060-4361-B07A-2DF3503B1A40.jpeg
747DCCF5-CF4E-4C11-B098-7C7BD6BA6990.jpeg

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finalized the doors for the sump. Things are probably going to be a little more cramped than I was expecting with this sump. I thought i would have had more room. Knowing what i know now I probably would have made a little more head clearance above the sump. Not sure how I’ll get a skimmer in and out of it yet once running. Worst case I’ll have things easy enough to drain sump and pull sump out. The center brave holding the middle door will be able to be removed with two quick screw.

B2510DCA-EA14-4406-A3FA-6E54041A8262.jpeg

0B57675D-71D6-4689-ACFD-B442DF518343.jpeg

A2ADB003-349C-4B2F-93C8-491003BB965E.jpeg

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything wrong with this approach? I didn't want to splurge on a refugium light yet, and didn't want the clamp on shop light either. But basically a weatherproof pigtail socket hanging with a LED grow light spectrum bulb?

I'm more concerned about the environment the light and socket will be in. I guess if the bulb is changed and socket inspected every 3-4 months then I should be fine.

It would look something like this when installed.

light.jpg

fuge1f.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back