OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, This will be an SCA 112 Gallon tank. 60"L x 18"W x 24"H. I built the stand around those dimensions, but I dont have the tank yet. However, someone on facebook SC Aquarium page said the actual length was 57-7/8"! That would really screw me because the stand is finished. I asked another member here who has a 60" SCA tank and his is 59-7/8", so hopefully the Facebook guy just read his tape wrong, but all he kept saying was "I used a cheap tape measure". SCA hasn't got back to me on that info. Guess it was a risk building a stand around the posted dimensions, but they have pretty accurate dimensions on their website showing everything including the overflow. So hopefully its all good.

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After debating with myself on cabinet ventilation, I just decided to go with an AC infinity cabinet vent that pulls air. I thought about pushing air through but couldn’t find a scenario I wanted to try. I’ll just see how long one lasts and if I have to replace a $15 fan once a year I’m ok with that. This little fan pulled in tissue on the other end access hole, so I feel good about the amount of air and keeping my electronics side dry. Also have these little temp/humidity tab sensors, 5 for $15 on Amazon. Put one of each side on the inside door to track humidity.

471008CB-5AC5-4F9B-81C5-C97214B43ED7.jpeg

5F3B7062-CB96-4341-813A-76418CDE26EC.jpeg

A9B6AE46-122C-4FC4-93AF-AD8E80E6042E.jpeg

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding more equipment in as I get it. My SCA-302 Skimmer came in. This fits nice but was a bit awkward getting it in the sump. Once I get my plumbing in it may be more of a chore if I ever had to remove the whole thing. But getting cup out will be easy. Also, they say this skimmer works best In 7-8 inches of water. My sump level is 9.5” fixed, so I made a 2”
Skimmer stand.

Question I have for anyone following this. Should I have any type of padding between the sump and stand? Or something in between sump equipment and sump to reduce noise. I have no idea if vibration will be a problem or not.

34AD342A-95CF-424B-82DB-78FA7E18618F.jpeg

2066A26E-2543-4055-A04A-AE3AF930D4E0.jpeg

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without even running the skimmer yet I can just bet it will make noise against the stand and the sump. So I’m ordering the silicone silencing pad from BRS.

I would love to be able to test this. Is it normal to just fill the sump with RODI to test things? It will probably take 20 gals just to fill the two chambers enough to turn it on. Then I guess I’ll just dump the water after the fill test

5BF0E3CD-4D09-49DC-95B8-A1B6AF369CF6.jpeg

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought 90 lbs of Marco reef saver rock.

Should I or should I not use any of my establish live rock?

I've been debating it lately, and a recent article from Reef Builders kind of pushed me into making the decision to go all new rock and start clean. So I just bought 90 lbs of Marco reef saver rock.

My main reason for not using the existing rock is the amount of vermetid snails on the rocks, otherwise I want to use them for the bio filter. The little vermetid calcium tubes (small 1/4" long, 1/16" inch diameter) are all over now, however I only see a few ever active, and havent seem them cause problems yet other than being unsightly. They multiplied pretty quickly after first noticing them about 5 months ago. I don't know if I can just take each piece of live rock I wanted and just wire brush off all the snail tubes. I wanted to maybe just put a few pieces of my existing rock in my refugium. Maybe add a bumble snail to the refugium also. It's such a waste not to use the rock.

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, this is the first sign of me possibly cheaping out a little in this build. I was planning to start with four A.I. Prime LED's across the center of the tank, and even started designing my canopy (Which I will start building after obtaining the tank). But was thinking also about how I can help front to back shadowing and was looking into a hybrid fixture to supplement these LED's. I saw the aquatic life hybrid fixture, and for the price it just seemed way overkill for basically just two separate 2 florescent light fixtures in the front an back on a frame. So maybe I'll wait on that. However. I do have these two 24" Fluval Marine LED light strips with WIFI controller that is basically stored away from my last tank. I was thinking of maybe slightly angling them in the canopy cover and using those as my front supplement. Just set their internal timer to turn them on at max intensity at peak parts of the day? worst case is I can just add the hybrid later. Either way, I'm getting close to finalizing the decision to have the 4 A.I. Primes as my main light source.

Light_Option.jpg

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I just had a slight change of plans on my tank build. And, I'm hoping I'm not making a wrong move out of impatience. But, here's what happened. SC Aquariums doesn't have the 112 Gallon tank in stock. (Despite their webpage showing 140 in stock). After I bought it, I got a call from them stating this. It would be after April for their distributors to put together this tank. However, I built my whole stand around this dimension tank (60 x 18 x 24"h).

They informed me they have a 94 gal tank with the same footprint (60 x 18) but only 20" high. I thought about it and decided to take that. I even convinced myself that the shorter tank will be a plus for my light penetration and I didn't really need the extra 4" of height. Losing 18 gallons of system water is only negative. So...my impatience has me going with this, but I see some positives to it.

@revhtree Can you retitle my build thread to "SCA 94 Gal (60x18x20) build" since I can't edit the title. Thanks!

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build so far! I would/did use a 1/2" black yoga mat from Target for under my 150 SCA. I would use old, assuming still wet in a working tank, live rock. My tank was 59 7/8" x 24 1/8" off a little but hardly noticable. Following along.

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! 1/2" yoga mat? Is that thick necessary? I happen to have a 1/4" yoga already in the house and was going to use that. Do you think that will be a problem?

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine with that. My 1/2" yoga mat barely compressed. I wish I could have found a 1/4" in black.

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my yoga mat trimmed and tight on the stand for the tank delivery next week. And have the new reef saver rock soaking in some RODI to see if any phosphates leak out. I had a small test piece in a cup that went from 0 to 0.15 pho’s so I was thinking this was an issue, but the tub full of rocks was sitting in RODI for 24 hrs with pump and tested pho’s before and after with Hanna checker: 0.0 before and 0.0 after 24 hrs, so that’s good news so far for this clean rock.

6A9D73A3-4720-47E7-823E-C626F0F9CBA6.jpeg

C1FEB422-5278-448B-91C0-A7954B9993BC.jpeg

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has to be the best part of a build....the day the tank actually come home. Took the day off to receive this delivery, some friends coming by tomorrow to lift it to the stand. Really like the build quality on this.

6657D210-207C-41D9-B3C4-A327ADBEB330.jpeg

973502A1-53C6-48FF-8DFF-430D9E2F81C8.jpeg

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything wrong with this approach? I didn't want to splurge on a refugium light yet, and didn't want the clamp on shop light either. But basically a weatherproof pigtail socket hanging with a LED grow light spectrum bulb?

I'm more concerned about the environment the light and socket will be in. I guess if the bulb is changed and socket inspected every 3-4 months then I should be fine.

It would look something like this when installed.

light.jpg

fuge1f.jpg

I know you stated you did not want the clamp on shop light, but you might want to take a look at the PVC domes HD carries, this is what I use, and I think gives better protection than what you posted. I use this and an LED grow flood lamp and it works great for me, though there are lots of options out there, this one is budget friendly and I think still looks decent, and most important it works well.

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I have the LED grow bulb, but do you think the reflector will make that much of a difference? Only problem I have is when I build my stand I should have made more head room. I guess if this doesnt work out, I'm have to try a low profile grow bulb.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I have the LED grow bulb, but do you think the reflector will make that much of a difference? Only problem I have is when I build my stand I should have made more head room. I guess if this doesnt work out, I'm have to try a low profile grow bulb.

Yeah I usually build stands at about 36" or better so I have clearance.

I like the dome for a splash gaurd, and that bulb is probably fine, I just went LED for longer life.

I know last time I was at SCA they had some cool low profile LED fuge lights, maybe hit them up.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Crystal 36 sump came in from BRS.

3A6992D4-6344-4744-9E82-F9FCDE4B8898.jpeg

It looks like you have pretty good room and clearance in here.

I think no matter what it always feels like a squeeze getting really in there unless you have fish room w/ sump out of stand, one day... :)

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see another SCA build. Looking good!
To answer a question you had on Facebook, I have a 90 48x18x24 with butted eurobracing and I stressed that thing beyond belief before filling it. I'm overly paranoid (if you can be) about a leak or buckling stand.

Back