Scallop?

andyJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
Any one have any idea what this is? My thoughts is a scallop of some type but not sure.

also, will it be ok with the torch?

thanks
Mags

560847B4-7EDE-4003-AC58-E158CE134871.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg

roboshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
Any one have any idea what this is? My thoughts is a scallop of some type but not sure.

also, will it be ok with the torch?

thanks
Mags

560847B4-7EDE-4003-AC58-E158CE134871.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg
That’s pretty cool. I’m interested to hear what someone with experience has to say.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like a small scallop, just not sure on type. Was it with the torch originally, or did you place torch on live rock? If live rock, where did the rock come from? This may help to get a positive ID on type of scallop.

If it is, I would be more worried about the scallop than the torch. The scallop is a harmelss filter feeder, as the where the torch could possibly sting the scallop. The up side of this, is that most scallops can move themselves if need be.

OP
OP
A

andyJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like a small scallop, just not sure on type. Was it with the torch originally, or did you place torch on live rock? If live rock, where did the rock come from? This may help to get a positive ID on type of scallop.

If it is, I would be more worried about the scallop than the torch. The scallop is a harmelss filter feeder, as the where the torch could possibly sting the scallop. The up side of this, is that most scallops can move themselves if need be.
Thanks, it’s come on the torch which we bought last weekend. Only noticed it last night as it was open and then shut quickly as I approached.
Sounds like a good little hitchhiker the ! Hopefully it moves along to save itself!

do scallops colour up as they grow?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, it’s come on the torch which we bought last weekend. Only noticed it last night as it was open and then shut quickly as I approached.
Sounds like a good little hitchhiker the ! Hopefully it moves along to save itself!

do scallops colour up as they grow?
Some do and some dont. There are so many species of them it varies wildly. Flame scallops for example are very bright, while some that come as hitchhikers on Gulf of Mexico sourced live rock stay white their entire life. Excluding coralline and such on the shell.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back