• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Scammed? How do you think you'd pay this "BRAND NEW" skimmer? May just clean up and sell to break even.

Item Price
$53?
Selling Terms Of Service
  1. YES I have read the terms and agree to them
Shipping
YES shipping is available

Treehrtsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Got this magtool skimmer off eBay that was listed as Brand New, fresh in the box, cool specs, the whole deal... Paid 73.27 total (I know this wasn't a good idea to begin with, I don't even remember putting a bid in). Look at the pictures, they're self explanatory. Contacted the seller and was given 2 options

#1. Get a $20 refund and get to keep the item.

#2. Be allowed a special exception to have the item returned for free even though the seller does not accept returns. (Buying on eBay, I've been have to do this way too much, and I'm sure plenty out there can relate: I hate going through this process only to have to wrap it back up because the seller..... Made a mistake....?)

I figured I'd get some input from you guys. Would you just send it back and buy a new one elsewhere? Would you keep the magtool DC skimmer in this condition for $53?

Or potentially option #3. Just be keep it and leave honest feedback? I've never owned a nano DC skimmer this small. For you personally, is it worth it given the circumstances. Actually curious to know what you think about this and nano DC skimmers in general? I believe the market for DC skimmers this small.... Is also small.

*Haven't tested it yet so I can't comment on function It's clouded, scratched, rusted, and definitely has an odor to it. Not to say that it couldn't be cleaned, but it doesn't even look like whoever tried to clean it before putting it back into the box.

If anyone is actually interested I'd be willing to clean, test and sell the skimmer. It was blatantly obvious from looking at the box alone that it was used. I think neg feedback wouldn't be unjustified depending on how things go.

20230603_230002.jpg 20230603_230056.jpg 20230603_230012.jpg 20230603_230041.jpg 20230603_230114.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Treehrtsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
If it was me I'd return it and get money back. Value wise it might be that price, but I'd feel taken advantage off...

Idk what size skimmer you need, but @IOAOI might be a similar price range for an actual new one.

@tbrown @Gtinnel what say you?

It's retail is 79, though I don't know if it's an old model

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that off principal alone I wouldn’t keep it. A seller posting that as being new is just wrong. While it could be an honest mistake my guess would be that they did that expecting the buyer wouldn’t want to hassle with returning it so they would just keep it.
I would also not be willing to use a rusted plug for fear of it being a fire hazard.

I’ve never used the smaller IOAOI skimmer, but I use their bigger one and it is doing a wonderful job for me.

OP
OP
T

Treehrtsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I'm just sick of the hassle of packaging backup stuff and taking it to the PO. I work in the medical field. When I do get free time I don't want to be standing in line at the PO

As I mentioned it was obvious from the box....

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion would be to make them take it back and give you a full refund . If they advertised new you should get new not used . On the other hand if you feel your time is worth more then to go through the hassle then that’s a decision you have to make for yourself . Just remember if you don’t send it back , get your money back, and leave a truthful nasty remark on his eBay account on how he scammed you ,then he wins and anyone else who buys from him is at risk of being scammed as well not knowing what he did to you . :thinking-face:

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also your third picture looks like it has a crack in the cup . This person imo should not be allowed to sell on any outlet . What they did is really wrong .

OP
OP
T

Treehrtsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I considered just skipping ebay and going through PayPal. I think I used my amex so bi should be covered

The thing is I just don't know. Maybe it has barely seen any us b and I can get 53 out of it or maybe it's just burnt. I hear about some really liking these smaller DC skimmers. It's rated for I believe 40 to 75 gallons which realistically is probably more like 40. 40 for me is borderline just keep a refugium so I'm not really sure on this one but all things considered 53 is cheap for DC skimmer I just don't know if it's going to be a piece of crap it. already looks like one

OP
OP
T

Treehrtsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Also your third picture looks like it has a crack in the cup . This person imo should not be allowed to sell on any outlet . What they did is really wrong .
Never mind anything I've said you're right the cop is split clean down the middle it's such a perfect line and almost looks completely intentional.

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm just sick of the hassle of packaging backup stuff and taking it to the PO. I work in the medical field. When I do get free time I don't want to be standing in line at the PO

As I mentioned it was obvious from the box....
So at this point I feel like you're trying to justify to yourself just keeping it to avoid the hassle? But... at that point why even bother asking the community?

OP
OP
T

Treehrtsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
No don't misunderstand, I was requesting for him to allow me to have the ups store pack and ship it.

I understand I was ripped off but if there's 50 worth of value somewhere in it then I may fix it up myself

And I did request the refund, he denied and came back at me with a 35 dollar partial refund offer. I didn't realize how bad the condition was until I asked the community. I apologize

OP
OP
T

Treehrtsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I think it's all good now

the reason I had posted is because

1. 50 could be a deal on an $80 skimmer, just kinda wanted to know what y'all thought it would be worth

2. To have an idea if it was worth Jack at all, since the seller tried to negotiate right off the bat.

3. Part of this was on me. There was only one stock photo, and a protein skimmer was nothing like the other items the seller sold. A little research and I probably could have deduced that it may not have been the best idea. I'll share that.

4. Are these nano dc skimmers even widely used? Are they worth even buying in the first place in your opinions?

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
No they are not. They will overflow and wont last. Buy yourself a good affordabke skimmer( bubble magus comes to mind) and be done with it).

Back