• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Scammer $600 Acan Coral(Earl Karl)

How many memebers have been scammed here on R2R

• Total voters
Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tried getting scammed with a $600 Acan Coral from Earl Karl.
Buyers beware!
There are a ton of messages below! Please read this, I don't want anyone to lose money!

I can't for his protection. I don't have his permission to do so anyways.
Is that the only message you have by him then? any other messages by him?
Dude, sorry to be a pain! Just trying to buy with confidence.
He hasn't responded about an update.

If you are not confident, don't buy it. It is up to you whether you want to buy it or not, not me. I gave you many coral pictures, paypal transaction, PRIVATE messages, etc., no need to give you more info. You are protected by Paypal. If you don't trust me, that is that.

I appreciate your interest, but I gave you more than everything you need to know. It's up to you if you trust me.
So I was just looking and I see you sent me the same message that you put on a thread....
So someone just said sent payment and nothing else was said before that? Who sends a message and you say you got the payment. Wheres the other messages from him? the beofore messages?
also, since this is a private chat, where is it on ebay?
And why should I show you that? I literally showed paypal transaction and confirmation. What more do I need to show you? It's like you're trying to invade my privacy and I know that's not your intention but still.

I took it down on eBay since it never got any views. It was sold anyways.

Do you want to buy it or not? It's up to you.
You should show it if you want me to buy it. anyone can send money to themselves and or friends and cancel it. we've all done it. I want to buy it but your not letting me. No once have you sent me your paypal address either to send payment.
Seriouly don't get why you can't just show past meesgaes with him? Don't get why you will only show me one message from him?
I don't need you to buy it however. It's up to you if you want to buy it, I'm sure you're an adult and can make decisions for yourself. I'm not preventing anything, you're preventing yourself.

No one has ever asked for PRIVATE messages to want to make a deal.

I didn't want to send my paypal since you had no trust in me and I find that offensive. You're interested, but you don't truly want to buy it.

Should I show you my bank account that I got the payment? How about my account number and login? Do I need to show that as well?

I don't see us making a deal. You're way too insecure about this whole thing even though I literally showed you pictures of the coral you are getting and told you about Paypal's protection. Some people do Venmo for Christ sakes

If you have doubt, that means something in your mind tells you don't want to buy it. It's best for you to step away.

Sorry for any inconveniences.
Still needing your paypal address.
Still doesn't work for that address and your link also says blocked to that address/not found.
Do you want me to request? If so, send me your address.
If your able to do that, that means Paypal blocked your IP address to just you.
That's not good, if you google why that happens like that, it means that person tried scamming/hacking.
This is why I ask for past messages...
Do you have proof that paypal is blocking my IP address? I was never notified, so I find that hard to believe.
why would I lie about that???
They resrict that seller/buyer.
It just means you can't accept payents from new accounts.
You can still accept payments from any account that has sent a payment in the past.
That's Paypal 101 for you.
Could you show me a picture? This is exactly what I mean about asking for proof. There is no trust. You asked me, I ask you. Do you understand?

I just got a payment from a new person for a par meter. I'm sure that's not the case.
Do you have a certain setting on? Never had this issue and never been notified at all for being blocked. Otherwise FBI would be showing up at my place.
Send me your paypal address so I can send invoice.
Found out my Paypal account was limited according to google search. I have given them proof of ID, address, and SSN so I would no longer have limitations.

Try again to see if address works.
Still doesn't work.
Even the link? Ok, that's weird.
Could you possibly give me your paypal address so I can send invoice please? I find it odd it won't work

Do you have enough money or is your account limited?
Yeah I'm not gonna even bother anymore, acan no longer for sale.
First off, lets get one thing straight, having a $500 limit is someone who is 20...

Second off, I called Paypal to see what's up with this, and guess what... They said if I see a message like that it's the party who's asking for money, and guess what is even better... that "other" guy who bought one through paypal, fake!!!! Love it! Paypal actually was able to explain to me how people do what you did! So awesome! I will report every message here. Can't wait too see your next post when you have more.

Life listen, stop trying to screw people. Your 20, wake up before you really **** someone off, scammers never meet in person too, scammers also have every excuse in the book. There is no one here in R2R that has seen this Acan in person. You seriuosly need to get a job, but if you keep going down this path, you'll be a felon. Please also report this post as I am.
I really wish people like you would never exist, scammers don't do anything but harm people. You really need to wake up and take a life listen.

Also, call Paypal, they'll explain to you what your're doing wrong.
Or just use Venmo.
There is no age limit for how much you can recieve, as long your account is verified. HOWEVER.

While, the acan does exist and have been purchased, I am in the wrong. In all honesty, that was a transaction that didn't go through because of the limit. The guy paid with Venmo, which I knew wasn't allowed, but I didn't want to get trouble. So I lied about the Paypal, but he did pay for it. That's why I lowered it to $500 a head. Previously it was more.

Sorry, money does corrupt people. I do have a job, I work 70-80 long hours a week and get paid next to nothing. I got excited in the heap of moment. I'm not a good guy too. I've been getting fines and charges and have to pay all that. I got desparate. It's been really hard for me lately.

In no ways was I trying to scam you. Although I have been untrustworthy, which is hypocritical of me. But my intent was to get the coral to you if you were interested.

This is definitely a life lesson. I have done worse, I grew in Chicago. I just needed the money, but I did it in a bad way. Do I mind if I go to jail? I don't care at this point, jail and now wouldn't be so different. Idk anymore, I should get help.

For the third frag no one bought it, it was actually a coral trade. It was $600 that couldn't go through. So we did trade instead.

In all honesty, everything about the acan was true. Everything about customers, was sorta true. No one paid over 500, not even locally. I'm sorry. Maybe I should take a long rest, I'm so tired... maybe I'm too bad for this world.
I understand selling is a privilege. I have violated the law and guidelines and I apologize. I am willing to face the consequences.

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While, the acan does exist and have been purchased, I am in the wrong. In all honesty, that was a transaction that didn't go through because of the limit. The guy paid with Venmo, which I knew wasn't allowed, but I didn't want to get trouble. So I lied about the Paypal, but he did pay for it. That's why I lowered it to $500 a head. Previously it was more.

Sorry, money does corrupt people. I do have a job, I work 70-80 long hours a week and get paid next to nothing. I got excited in the heap of moment. I'm not a good guy too. I've been getting fines and charges and have to pay all that. I got desperate. It's been really hard for me lately.

In no ways was I trying to scam you. Although I have been untrustworthy, which is hypocritical of me. But my intent was to get the coral to you if you were interested.

This is definitely a life lesson. I have done worse, I grew up in Chicago. I just needed the money, but I did it in a bad way. Do I mind if I go to jail? I don't care at this point, jail and now wouldn't be so different. Idk anymore, I should get help.

For the third frag no one bought it, it was actually a coral trade. It was $600 that couldn't go through. So we did trade instead.

In all honesty, everything about the acan was true. Everything about customers, was sorta true. It was never sold through Paypal. I'm sorry. Maybe I should take a long rest, I'm so tired... maybe I'm too bad for this world.

I deeply apologize. I violated guidelines from using venmo, then it spiraled to this as a result to hide the fact I used Venmo.

I have no excuses. It wasn't meant to be a scam but it was very fraudulent of me to post lies to cover up my previous mistakes.

Last edited:

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the acan sale thread he made (which has since been removed), he stated that he was given a dragon eel by a wholesaler. However, in a thread he made when he got the eel he said this:

So he bought the eel for $400 from his college friend. It's clear he's lying about his association with wholesalers. He claimed to have gotten the acan from Nic at Ultra Coral Australia.
The first eel that I paid $400 passed away. I got a second one for free.

Everything about the acan was true. Everything about the customers were sorta true. Except paypal wasn't used at all.

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my previous sales with the acan, I used Venmo, which was against guidelines. I tried to hide fact I used Venmo by inspect (Control+Shift+I) to alter a Paypal transaction for the acan that did not go through because of a limitation, which was very fraudulent of me. It spiraled out of control.

In no means I'm trying to scam anyone, but I made a bad image of myself trying to hide using Venmo.

The other acan was delivered locally. The most recent one we have agreed on a trade that I plan to go through.

I deeply apologize for everything and willing to face the consequences.

Customers have been taken care of however. Sorry for this person that I was dishonest.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reminder, this is a feedback thread outside comments are not permitted with exception to your own feedback thread in regards to the same seller.

Thanks,

Crabs

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acan does exist, this was never meant to be a scam. I should have just been honest and stated that I used Venmo for transactions rather than Paypal.

This is a video of it. I should have done this a long time ago.

VertReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys, this is *****, the only and original owner of this coral. I have created this account for a concern I wanted to address. I did have to do some research.

A while ago, a person came over to my place, screaming and shouting at me how the coral "I" sent him was not the one pictured. The thing is, I haven't sent nor gave any corals ever.

I was able to settle things with the angered person and he gave me as much info as possible about the situation. I learned that a now ex friend of mine was stealing corals behind my back and selling them on various websites for outrageous prices using my name and info. He has been using my computer to sell. He was logged off, but I found out about him using this website on my computer when he told me under the influence of drugs.

Also, on drugs, he told me he fed my Japanese Dragon Eel a LIVE mouse. I didn't want to believe it, but the eel passed away next day.
IMG-1930.JPG

I was very upset, but he was still my friend. I tried to get him to rehab and such but the next thing I knew was that he was nowhere to be found. This happened a while ago. I just wished I could help him.

As for now, I have contacted everyone "Earl Karl" shipped to via FedEx. If he has sold you any coral, please let me know so that if he has sold it to you for a ridiculous price, I will do my best to refund you some of the cost. Please send receipt if so. This hobby should be affordable and enjoyable for everyone. Unlike the big name companies who have been destroying this hobby.

Sorry for any inconveniences to those who have been affected and thank you for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:

VertReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is still the kid. Difference account.
GET HELP BUDDY!
I am not "Earl Karl". I understand you would feel this way. If you have bought something from him, please contact me.

VertReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He doesn’t need rehab, jail would be better.
If I was someone else, I would probably prefer that, especially if I were to be scammed. However, I know him pretty well. He was probably overwhelmed with greed. He needs help, I don't want him out there somewhere with that many problems, affecting other people.
Have you bought anything from him? If so please contact me.

VertReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look, I am not here to gather sympathy for Thomas (Earl Karl), I just wanna clean up after his **** up and grab as much info I can if anyone knows his whereabouts. Maybe none of you know where he is, but it's worth a try.

I was gonna leave this situation alone, but he has been a fraud using my name and info. If I have to, I will take action with the police, but I seriously don't want to do that. I want to at least talk things out before I take other measures.

Last edited:

VertReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just happened to get access to his account as he was logged on a different browser on my computer. He didn't scam that many people here but he did leak my name, address and even how I look, which I am upset about. He only shipped with FedEx here so I was able to text everyone he shipped to. Still don't know where he is though. I assume none of you guys know since no one here contacted me. I hope I don't have to get the police involved since the situation is a lot worse than I thought, I rather just beat his butt then get it over it.

OP
OP
bsr2430

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just happened to get access to his account as he was logged on a different browser on my computer. He didn't scam that many people here but he did leak my name, address and even how I look, which I am upset about. He only shipped with FedEx here so I was able to text everyone he shipped to. Still don't know where he is though. I assume none of you guys know since no one here contacted me. I hope I don't have to get the police involved since the situation is a lot worse than I thought, I rather just beat his butt then get it over it.
Here’s where your wrong. Anyone who pay him Venmo he just never sent the package. Let this be a lesson for everyone. Don’t pay Venmo no $600 for a Acan coral.

VertReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s where your wrong. Anyone who pay him Venmo he just never sent the package. Let this be a lesson for everyone. Don’t pay Venmo no $600 for a Acan coral.
I got your pm, I'll see what I can do. I have bought something here a while ago to see how buying on this site works. It seems that you can get scammed pretty easily here.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I’m sorry but your story seems off and something isn’t right. As the owner of this forum I have to call it like I see it. How I see it is that every member that was scammed should pursue a refund of all of their money or what is due them by whatever legal avenue available. If what you are saying is true then the judge will be able to clear you. As of now your are not clear here. Please refund our members 100% of the money they have sent you.

If you are a member who was scammed please make a post in this thread with the details.

VertReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry but your story seems off and something isn’t right. As the owner of this forum I have to call it like I see it. How I see it is that every member that was scammed should pursue a refund of all of their money or what is due them by whatever legal avenue available. If what you are saying is true then the judge will be able to clear you. As of now your are not clear here. Please refund our members 100% of the money they have sent you.

If you are a member who was scammed please make a post in this thread with the details.
I have looked at Earl Karl's private messages as he was logged on to a different browser. It seems he was lying about sales and did not get any money from anyone. I understand this situation though, although, ofc I would rather not go to court.

VertReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I found all the info I needed. Earl Karl's account was logged onto a different browser so I was able to get all the info I needed from his private messages. Turns out that he sucked at scamming and he got no money or nothing from anyone here. That's good to know.

However I am disappointed in @bsr2430. This person was the only one on this site who contacted me. Prior to me finding out that Earl Karl was logged onto my computer in a different browser, I asked for any info on Earl Karl and offered to help refund if he purchased anything from Earl Karl. He decided to take advantage of the situation and be the biggest hypocrite I have ever seen. The PMs show everything.

Go on your messages. You’ll see where him and I went back and forth countless of times. He sold me this crap. I paid $500 over Venmo and never received it. Sense then I’ve deleted my Venmo and will never buy an Acan again. Venmo couldn’t lock the payment sense I didn’t do it the right way and did it as a gift. Screw Venmo for this and this seller that was your friend.
Please tell you me friend if you see him, to go **** himself. People like this doesn’t deserve to be alive. Sad thing about this is I use PayPal 24/7, trusting people is a thing of the past I guess.
Ouch, I'll take a look at the messages. Is there any way I can help? I can help refund you some of the cost if you like.
To be honest. That could be a very bad idea for you. You’ll get scammed this way. If he scammed as many I think he did, there’s no way you could afford to help everyone out,haha. This truly should be a lesson for everyone. And for people who use Venmo, it’s just like Craigslist, all scams on that platform.

First look at all your messages. If he was smart he deleted as many as he could. I send so many messages here I must delete in order to keep track of things I want or need. I remember texting this guy too. I wonder how many people he truly scammed though. I remember there was a thread with so many complaining about him and what he was doing. Do you still have this Acan though? The real Acan with a clear shot. I just actually want to know if it existed or not.
I don't care. It seems he sucked at scamming anyways, nothing I can't afford.

I do have this acan. But it's nothing like how he photoshopped it. Color is a lot more dull.

From the messages, it seems that he only wanted to pay with PayPal however. In fact I don't see any other conversations where he wanted to pay with Venmo. I think he was lying about the other sales since only he didn't cut much from that acan colony. Unless he happened to delete the messages, but the conversations seem rather stable.

I'm pretty sure you get an email receipt from Venmo. Could you send me that if you can? I'll refund it as much as possible if so. I would like to see one in case I have to take it as evidence.

Any more info you can give about him?
Sorry not pay, use*.
I don't see where you confirmed payment, you did report him however as I do see mods. Did you really pay him? You could also download Venmo and log in again and send me a screenshot that you paid him.

I hope you are not lying to me in this situation, I rather not waste time when a criminal is on the loose.
Can you add a copy or screen shot where you paid this scammer?
I can assure you no one gave money to Thomas (Earl Karl) on this site, as I have stated earlier, he wasn't that good at scamming but what concerned me was that he used my name and info.

I would rather not have the authorities involved as I just wanted to help Thomas, not make it worse. I only came to this site for help, this should no longer concern you knowing that members of this site were not affected.
Or at least got money taken from them.
Also, this person is clearly taking advantage, there is no option where you can send payment as a "gift" on Venmo.

No one else contacted me about this situation. As I have stated earlier, "Earl Karl" sucked at scamming and no one gave money to him. This shouldn't concern you any longer since none of the members here gave money. Let me contact the police if needed, as of now, I just want to help him. I believe I can help him.
Heck no I didn’t pay him! Because your the scammer! If you read all the messages, you’ll see how I just screwed with him! Crazy thing is your back to try and do what? That’s the real question, not can you provide any images of this Acan, as I stated. The fact that you were able to make an account so quickly and post here asking to refund any buyers that bought from him is crazy. No one has ever did what you stated and no one will ever do this.
There’s a group chat where all we did was collect information on you or you friend, why ever your doing your just trying to find a way out. Mods, I will add you to a conversation where a buyer bought from this guy and he sent him the coral and begged him to keep it after it came half dead and nothing as described! Please watch this scammer, he’ll leave and come back as he’s done many of times.
another reason for this is the scammer, watch his screen/log in time. This guy is in just as much as the last guy.
Please do!
Just sent it to you, please contact him. I’m sure he can provide everything you need.
IMG-1931.JPG

Here's a quick pic that I took. Again a lot more dull than the photoshopped pic Earl Karl sent. But when I was logged onto Earl Karl's account, this was the only coral he tried to sell.

I made this account months ago after a complete stranger came to my house about this situation. I had to do some research before I can speak about it.

Again no one's money was stolen. Customers on eBay have overpaid for other corals, but not completely stolen off their money without getting anything.

Also, you just said that you bought an acan from him and now you're saying you didn't? You're a complete liar in denial who is taking advantage of the situation.

Also, ofc I was on at the same time as Earl Karl, I was checking for his messages.

Plus the guy he pretty much GAVE this acan frag to gave nothing in return.
Seriously, read your own message. I seriously can't believe you would lie in a situation like this. I asked you for info, even offered to help you with refund, and you lied to me.
I believe you are lying and I’m going to ask you to never create another account here at R2R.
Could you at least explain? I am NOT lying. Read his own messages. Please, I never came here for no harm.
No one came to your house! And look at that, can’t even provide a clear photo. Seems funny you both can’t provide clear photos. I have a iPhone, and I can take almost clear photos without a lenses. You can do the same but you’re not.

If you looked at the messages between us, I screwed with you for weeks on this deal you wanted. Telling you I paid it made you do exactly this, nor did I want any money in return which you should’ve questioned why someone who spent $500 didn’t want his money back, but you didn’t, you’re here going off about it which this is exactly what I wanted. Your showing the same signs as this “guy” you keep talking about. Your rewording is the same as him too, your quick lines are also the same as him. What’s your end game? Just refund everyone and be done with it. People like you make this hobby hard, no one can trust you.

Also, the last statement you made:
(Plus the guy he pretty much GAVE this acan frag to gave nothing in return).
I thought you said he didn’t scam anyone?
Now you saying he traded with someone?
You’re just making my point.
What clear photo?! I literally just sent you a picture of the acan he was trying to sell. It's literally nothing to look at. With photoshop, he made the colors a lot more saturated. Just a dull acan he was able to shine up

I didn't have to question since I didn't know what he sold on this site until I found out he was logged onto Microsoft Edge (I use google chrome). It turns out it was only this acan.

I said he sucked at scamming and DIDN'T STEAL from anybody. NEVER said he didn't scam anyone.

I offered to refund you, but you lied to me. You are a hypocrite.

I will not argue with since you have lied to me about this situation. This conversation is over.
Man you sound just like him!
You just said he was cutting your Acan to sell. Provide photos. They should almost match up. You won’t provide anything which shows you the truth.
Send us this actual Acan with clear photos with a note on the side with your name. It’s that simple. I would almost bet you can’t or try and photo shop this.
If you weren’t always trying to scam people I think you could be a decent kid to talk too. Please get help mate. There’s something wrong and you need help.
How about this, a video. You can't fake a video right? Same exact colony.

Now send that proof of purchase you from your first message of this conversation or this is over.

There's nothing wrong with me, there's something wrong with my friend. I asked you for help, and you lied to me first message. Unbelievable. There's something wrong with YOU.

Revhtree proceeds to call me a liar. I invited Revhtree to the conversation and even reading the messages and all the proof I have sent, he still proceeds to call me a liar. Even though it is directly in front of his eyes. Even bsr2430's lies were in front of him, yet calls me a liar. Doesn't even explain why I'm lying when I asked for an explanation for his reasoning. Safety measures I guess, I am a foreigner to this website so I guess I understand where he is coming from.

I didn't get much info here but I got all of it that this site could provide. I hope this is just a rotten egg within the community as I am sure this is a wonderful community. Shame I had to deal with this in order to get help. I got my info, I'll take my leave.

Last edited:

Weevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I found all the info I needed. Earl Karl's account was logged onto a different browser so I was able to get all the info I needed from his private messages. Turns out that he sucked at scamming and he got no money or nothing from anyone here. That's good to know.

However I am disappointed in @bsr2430. This person was the only one on this site who contacted me. Prior to me finding out that Earl Karl was logged onto my computer in a different browser, I asked for any info on Earl Karl and offered to help refund if he purchased anything from Earl Karl. He decided to take advantage of the situation and be the biggest hypocrite I have ever seen. The PMs show everything.

Revhtree proceeds to call me a liar. I invited Revhtree to the conversation and even reading the messages and all the proof I have sent, he still proceeds to call me a liar. Even though it is directly in front of his eyes. Even bsr2430's lies were in front of him, yet calls me a liar. Doesn't even explain why I'm lying when I asked for an explanation for his reasoning. Safety measures I guess, I am a foreigner to this website so I guess I understand where he is coming from.

I didn't get much info here but I got all of it that this site could provide. I hope this is just a rotten egg within the community as I am sure this is a wonderful community. Shame I had to deal with this in order to get help. I got my info, I'll take my leave.
Seriously just get out of here with your lies!
Nothing is going to help you in this this situation

Back