Scared to keep Gorgonians but I want them! Help!

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Friends, a couple years ago I added a gorgonian to my tank and all of my lps closed up and looked absolutely awful. I quickly realized it was the gorg and returned it to the store. Now 2 years later I want to have gorgonians in my tank, but I’m afraid of it happening again. Was the gorg I had just particularly lethal or are all gorgs going to do this? Do you have to run carbon to keep them in a mixed tank? (I don’t currently run carbon at all) Is there a particular type or types of gorg that would be fine in my mixed reef? What are they?

Thank you!

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in each of my tanks. I’ve never had a problem with LPS in either. Both are the photosynthetic type. I do run carbon in both my tanks at all times because softies can be mean.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had kept gorgs for years. They will kill lps happily if they are certain species. One thing you want to get is active carbon filtration 24/7. Then, the ones I have found that are least of an issue and grow nicely are the grube's gorg (Pinnigorgia flava) and the Eunicea spp. is pretty decent. Try these first.
I began keeping gorgs and eventually had all gorgs and leathers as everything else would die.

OP
OP
Clarinuto

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I had no idea gorgonians did that! What LPS do you have? My Psuedopterogorgia is fine with my candy cane and hammer.
I have torches, frogspawns, hammers, a Duncan, a lobo, goniopora, an elegance, bubbles, cristata, and a few others. LPS are my absolutely favorite so if it’s them versus anyone else, the other guy gets the boot :)

OP
OP
Clarinuto

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had kept gorgs for years. They will kill lps happily if they are certain species. One thing you want to get is active carbon filtration 24/7. Then, the ones I have found that are least of an issue and grow nicely are the grube's gorg (Pinnigorgia flava) and the Eunicea spp. is pretty decent. Try these first.
I began keeping gorgs and eventually had all gorgs and leathers as everything else would die.
Thank you. This is super helpful. I do have carbon and a reactor, I just never use it because I’ve been lucky to not have issues. Maybe I’ll consider setting one up and trying the Grube’s Gorg!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back