Scary thing with teeth inside my zoa colony. Is this normal zoa anatomy or is my colony possessed by a demon?

Thanos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had this zoa colony for about 9 months and growth has been excellent, but earlier today when I was watching my tank I saw some debris get ejected out of this gaping black hole in the colony that wasn't there yesterday. I assumed one of my emerald crabs ate its way inside the colony and so I shined a bright light into the hole looking for it but instead I found what looked like a mouth with a row of teeth, before the entire colony shifted downwards and the hole disappeared. Never seen anything like this before and I'm a bit concerned to say the least. I got 2 good pictures of the thing which I'll put in the comments.

OP
OP
T

Thanos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Head on picture looking into the "mouth", as you can there appear to be teeth

Attachments

• IMG_20221202_203127.jpg
    IMG_20221202_203127.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 138
OP
OP
T

Thanos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side picture of the colony. The "mouth" is that dark slit in the upper left of the picture, to the right of the trochus snail.

Attachments

• IMG_20221202_203117.jpg
    IMG_20221202_203117.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 130

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side picture of the colony. The "mouth" is that dark slit in the upper left of the picture, to the right of the trochus snail.
At this angle, given the mound shape, it looks like your zoo colony is growing on mollusk of some sort, so the prior post about a scallop or something like that may be spot on.

OP
OP
T

Thanos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it opens and closes I'd imagine it's some sort of scallop or clam.
Any way to tell if it's harmful or not? It's just weird since I've had this colony for 9 months now and I've never seen the mouth open before

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any way to tell if it's harmful or not? It's just weird since I've had this colony for 9 months now and I've never seen the mouth open before
Not harmful

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And not technically a 'mouth'... the whole bivalve is opening/closing.
Pretty neat the things we find!

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Head on picture looking into the "mouth", as you can there appear to be teeth
The entire zoanthid colony is resting on the upper shell of a large thorny oyster as in this thread:
I have a zoa colony on a clam or an oyster possibly? i've seen it open and recorded this video, how do i keep it alive and happy?
is this even actually an oyster? it reacts to light instantly

ezgif-5-366cdc1086.gif
Bivalves like these are harmless, though have specific feeding requirements. Hitchhiking bivalves tend to last for extended periods under normal tank conditions, however.
Possibly a thorny oyster in the Spondylus genus (not all of them have the super long thorns). NPS bivalves, even large ones, require minuscule 2-20 micrometer particles, so most foods cannot support these organisms (for reference, the smallest rotifers are around 50 micrometers, copepod nauplii (babies) are around 100 micrometers, baby brine shrimp are around 300 micrometers, and Reef Roids are around 150-200 micrometers). These guys primarily subsist on phytoplankton (I hear daily dosing should suffice, possibly more frequently).
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/spiny-oyster.297036/
Care information for Perna viridis and other NPS bivalves:
https://reefs.com/magazine/aquarium-invertebrates-green-lipped-mussels/

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back