Scented candles in well ventilated room w/ aquarium?

AliWasHere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is the correct place to post, but I'll try!

Just got a new aquarium, new to all of this but have spent a long time researching to try and make sure my tank and fish are happy and healthy. The tank is actually in my work room where I study/do homework (college student here). Before getting my tank, I would burn Bath & Body Works scented candles in this room all the time, often with the door open and the window open (I prefer having air flow, not just when burning candles but all of the time). During my research, I could never find one solid answer (though it might turn out that there isn't actually one answer haha) about whether having a candle in the same room is okay or not. I suppose it depends on the brand and type of wax... but has anyone ever had experience with B&BW candles with a fish tank? Does having my door/window open affect the possible impact of the candle?

If it turns out the candles are harmful... guess its time to move the candles to the living room haha. So for now, I'll abstain from lighting any of my Peach Bellini's or Champagne Toast's until I get a more concise answer. Thanks! :)

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, no direct exp here with burning candles, but I'm going to say you're completely fine doing what you have always done with no impact on your tank and inhabitants.
For example, if you were to send me a bath and body works candle, let's say a warm vanilla sugar or cucumber melon, I would light that in my room with my tank without even thinking about it :)

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My significant other has scented candles lit 24/7 and I’ve had no issues with my topless tank or inhabitants. Sometimes my Pre workout powder fumes go flying over my quarantine tank and I’ve also had no issues I assume the fish and coral receive their daily dose of caffeine and creatine ;Woot

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of people burn candles near their tanks and I've never heard of an issue. That being said I won't do it.
I'm not familiar with that brand your using but I would actually question if burning those candles is harmful to your health.... There's no regulation around here on what companies use to make those scents....

Feel free to ignore me, I'm too tired to argue tonight

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of people burn candles near their tanks and I've never heard of an issue. That being said I won't do it.
I'm not familiar with that brand your using but I would actually question if burning those candles is harmful to your health.... There's no regulation around here on what companies use to make those scents....

Feel free to ignore me, I'm too tired to argue tonight
giphy-15.gif

Lol

OP
OP
AliWasHere

AliWasHere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick Google search for you and I'm off to bed
Screenshot_20201030-210649.png
Dang... I actually didn't know that those candles released that crap... Guess it's a good thing I would always light them with open windows!! And I've definitely gotta cut back on burning them... Thanks for the reply! I'll keep this info in mind in the future, not just regarding my tank, but for myself too.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang... I actually didn't know that those candles released that crap... Guess it's a good thing I would always light them with open windows!! And I've definitely gotta cut back on burning them... Thanks for the reply! I'll keep this info in mind in the future, not just regarding my tank, but for myself too.
Use Luminara candles, put off a nice glow, no fumes just batteries. Luminara brand not off brand. Gave up lighting candles when there was a bird in the house, not good for them either. I used to burn the pricey, more natural candles , IDK if they put out the other mentioned carcenagens.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been told by chemists that scented candles aren’t the best for humans. But I’ve had no issues and not had any tank issues in the same room where I burn them. I burn other stuff in the room too and also no issues.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember to check your sources to see if they're respectable ;) . Acetone may be a carcinogen, but it's also used in nail polish, etc. . If it's something super sensitive, then maybe just leave the candle capped, and uncap it (and don't light it) when you really want a good whiff, and keep it near you when studying, near something relatively warm (laptop, on top of the charger, etc.).

Or alternatively, actually make a peach bellini. Something something Ballmer Peak.

Personally I prefer the Aloha Kiwi Passionfruit over the Peach Bellini. I also just never got the point of burning candles. You can get the same smell just warming the wax (like in a hot shower or bath), or leaving the candle open and unlit...

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember to check your sources to see if they're respectable ;) . Acetone may be a carcinogen, but it's also used in nail polish, etc. . If it's something super sensitive, then maybe just leave the candle capped, and uncap it (and don't light it) when you really want a good whiff, and keep it near you when studying, near something relatively warm (laptop, on top of the charger, etc.).

Or alternatively, actually make a peach bellini. Something something Ballmer Peak.

Personally I prefer the Aloha Kiwi Passionfruit over the Peach Bellini. I also just never got the point of burning candles. You can get the same smell just warming the wax (like in a hot shower or bath), or leaving the candle open and unlit...
My sources were irrelevant since as I said that was just a quick Google search to get people thinking...

Do you believe nail polish is good for you? Would you burn it and inhale the scents to relax?

Last edited:

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad your taking that seriously! It's amazing the unregulated toxic things that are widely accepted in our society today. A good alternative imo is diffusing essential oils (also unregulated :rolleyes:) but the high quality ones "claim" to be pure and use only one ingredient. But do your own research of course!

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sources were irrelevant since as I said that was just a quick Google search to get people thinking...

Do you believe nail polish is good for you? Would you burn it and inhale the scents to relax?
Well I certainly wouldn't burn it and inhale to relax. I hear there are quite a few other things that are less toxic and much more relaxing.

The point I was trying to make, is that it's all dependent on concentration, and knowing your science. Everything is deadly in large enough amounts (even water). Conversely, everything is also not deadly in small enough amounts. The amount of acetone released by a candle is probably much less than that of nail polish remover. And people use acetone nail polish remover quite a lot from what I understand.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I certainly wouldn't burn it and inhale to relax. I hear there are quite a few other things that are less toxic and much more relaxing.

The point I was trying to make, is that it's all dependent on concentration, and knowing your science. Everything is deadly in large enough amounts (even water). Conversely, everything is also not deadly in small enough amounts. The amount of acetone released by a candle is probably much less than that of nail polish remover. And people use acetone nail polish remover quite a lot from what I understand.
Fair enough!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And to be clear, I'm just saying scented candles aren't good for you, not that they will kill you

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might the excess CO2 from a candle cause a lower tank pH that causes dissolution of the live rock? In theory it could be possible in a controlled closed system.
I’m more concerned about the statistical possibility of a dormitory fire incident from a candle than the total toxic emissions from a slow 1lb wax combustion event.

giphy.gif

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might the excess CO2 from a candle cause a lower tank pH that causes dissolution of the live rock? In theory it could be possible in a controlled closed system.
I’m more concerned about the statistical possibility of a dormitory fire incident from a candle than the total toxic emissions from a slow 1lb wax combustion event.
Y'know, my college banned candles and pets (including fish tanks). If they found evidence during winter break, the student would be hit with a major fine...

Didn't stop me from keeping a tank and giving it to a non-college friend over the break to keep me from getting fined;)

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m here to know if it’s okay for your aquarium. But it’s not gonna kill you personally, I mean everyone’s saying it’s toxic and it may be to some degree but it’s not like your vaping.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m here to know if it’s okay for your aquarium. But it’s not gonna kill you personally, I mean everyone’s saying it’s toxic and it may be to some degree but it’s not like your vaping.
My best friends sisters cousins uncles neighbor used a scented candle once. 20 years later, bam cancer! ;)

Seriously though, go watch the documentary "stink". It's a good watch

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back