Schedule 80 slipxslip bulkheads - where to find them.

OP
OP
B

bryanr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered them and they are pending plumbing being done (hopefully this week). They look great and the tank builder and local fish store really like them. I'll let you know once they are leak tested.

Fish man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the slip x slip, that's what I prefer myself. The size of your tank while impressive doesn't gain anything from using schedule 80. Schedule 80 is for high pressure applications and harsh environments, none of which apply to reef tanks. Everyone in reefing is just using it for asthetics. There is no reason the regular black ABS bulkhead fittings won't work just fine.
True dat. Schedule 80 - 1” is rated for 630psi. 1 ½” at 470psi. Mostly used in high pressure, high heat applications. If you have that much pressure to contend with you have bigger problems to worry about then plumbing fittings. :). My tank runs about 6psi.

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True dat. Schedule 80 - 1” is rated for 630psi. 1 ½” at 470psi. Mostly used in high pressure, high heat applications. If you have that much pressure to contend with you have bigger problems to worry about then plumbing fittings. :). My tank runs about 6psi.
closed loop bulkhead on floor of tank with no weir. bulkhead fails and entire tank is on floor. also will potentially have to drain entire tank to service

1 less point of potential failure is a good reason for me to go heavy duty.

bulkheads in my overflow box will be sch40

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sch80 usually means thicker walls, so I suppose it's fair to ask that. The RO bulkheads appear better made, but the tail walls are the same thickness as a standard ABS bulkhead. Flange is much more robust, as is the 'nut'. Apparently they are made of PVC rather than ABS and I see no injection seam. I much prefer the O-ring to a gasket. As noted above, I have not had any fail and find them much easier to install. YMMV.

OP
OP
B

bryanr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to update the tread with my review after the tank has been running a month. The bulkheads were installed and we did use molycote on the O -rings. Not even a drip from any of the 8 bulkheads, VERY impressed. I always have at lease one drip. I will be buying these for my other two tank swaps.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I get the slip x slip, that's what I prefer myself. The size of your tank while impressive doesn't gain anything from using schedule 80. Schedule 80 is for high pressure applications and harsh environments, none of which apply to reef tanks. Everyone in reefing is just using it for asthetics. There is no reason the regular black ABS bulkhead fittings won't work just fine.

ABS Bulkheads split, that's why a lot of people sleep better with schedule 80 which to date I've not heard anybody complain about.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Just ordered the ones from Coralvue thanks again.

@bryanr

Did you get them? How did they perform? I've found them too today and like the double seal actually.

[EDITED] Nevermind, I see your review right above now. Thanks - going to order now.

Last edited:

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Are these available anywhere else? Having trouble ordering from CoralVue

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Was able to complete an order from a different comp. All good.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Got them today - these are super slick!

Double seals, thick schedule 80 slip to slip coupling - LOVE IT.

Somebody had a great idea at RO. It's essentially schedule 80 coupler that's threaded on the outside with 2 high quality machined nuts that have a machined grove for silicone o-rings. On the flange side, they simply glued the nut stuck. VERY CLEVER.

OP
OP
B

bryanr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my impression as well, a sch 80 coupler that was threaded with the nuts glued on. I'm waiting for the 1.5" ones to come back in stock for my next build. Very impressed!

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
That was my impression as well, a sch 80 coupler that was threaded with the nuts glued on. I'm waiting for the 1.5" ones to come back in stock for my next build. Very impressed!

On that 1.5' - You and I both

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm waiting for the 1.5" ones to come back in stock
Oh, that's unfortunate ..... realized the other day I am short one 1 1/2" for my impending setup.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for Schedule 80 slipxslip bulkheads. I tried BRS and other major online stores i could think of, also tried glass cages no one has slip x slip. I did find some on coralvue, but they have an o-ring instead of a gasket which worries me about leaks. If you know where i can find them please let me know!
I have some arriving tomorrow from Marine Depot

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back