Schizophrenic reefer's anonymous build

Corals.com
Reaction score
DFEC4818-F16B-41DC-9FF5-359EF284DDAB.jpeg
F8BC1B15-E5C5-44CE-9102-FA672A32020E.jpeg

My small 8 foot frag-display..... display-frag........drag-tank (patent pending) tank build is underway. 96 x 16 x 16

EDIT: 06/12/19 Tank will now be 96 x 20 x 16 I'm told done as soon as next week........

Starting with a little stand:

Edit: I am putting up a Red Sea Max Nano while I await my long-daddy to be built. More updates to come:
Super nice

OP
J

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
I am adding a bunch cleaners..... I moved over the Emeralds, Halloween Urchin, and snails from the old tank. no idea how many, and 2 cleaner shrimp. I added a Sunk cleaner, and 20 more turbo snails. I want to add all inverts before an 80-90 day fallow period.

OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
My skunk cleaner shrimp lasted less than 24 hours. not good. Urchin, snails and crab are all doing great after 3 or so days. Hmm.

Also, I know it’s all new plumbing and all new tank , sump etc, but my skimmer was added on day 3 and has done nothing but dump frothy white foam and overflowing constantly since putting it in. I am hoping it is just an adjustment period. Skimmer was great in prior tank, so at least I know it was working properly before, and I don’t have to second guess assembly etc. I am leaving it in/on with cover off and just letting it overflow. Should I do anything else?

Best reef aquarium LED lighting
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Here is the normal day-time lights. Today will be a day to tackle one issue..... maybe take the Apex out of the box finally, or maybe at least GET the plumbing pieces I need for the algae scrubber. I need to do some electrical cord management still too. I will tinker around with the Apex and see if I throw in the towel or not....

D6A3C4FE-8103-4783-8ACE-BB27C22B8216.jpeg

OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
So I didn’t realize this Apex thing had its own screen. I finally unboxed it after 5 months. It isn’t WIFI so can I use it as-is until I run an ethernet cable through my walls?

OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
I love that slab you used, never even thought of using one before. I have a couple drying but I’m not to sure about width. Looks awesome!!!!
I honestly wish it were wider (not sure I would have been able to find one wide enough though) so in addition to the bark, I could see more of the transition from dark bark > light wood\new growth > dark wood

Still glad I used it though...... the space that overhangs on each end of the tank has been great for a place to set down things etc while I mess with / clean the tank etc

OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Ok. For two days. maybe 3, who knows, but the ATK or Auto-Top-Off from Neptune has kicked my butt and I finally threw in the towel on getting it to work.

Small victories though! It took me all of 5 minutes to get my Algae Scrubber up and running!

I have to finish many more things, and when I am done constantly climbing into the stand, I plan to deal with the light spilling out of this thing.

AC62DA01-7FE7-450D-A377-BACD5EAD6AEC.jpeg

Ocean thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
View attachment 1050365 View attachment 1050365 I am going to build the stand up 6-8 more inches, it has 8 4x4’s already in it for added support. After assessing the floor situation I will decide if I am going to go stone (soapstone or quartz) top, or something lighter. Polished/dyed concrete is also a contender for a budget friendly option, but those are all 300+ lb options. I may end up buying/staining/sealing a butcherblock countertop too

World Wide Corals - Quality Aqua-cultured Coral
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Well, it’s been about 3 weeks since setup.

So, new tank, bare bottom, mostly re-used rocks, new sump, new plumbing etc etc

My skimmer has been overflowing since day 1

Same skimmer that ran like a champ on my 75, I haven’t even bothered to put the cup on. Sump water level isn’t gonna get any lower, so I need to figure out why this thing is foaming like a mad dog.....

OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
OK Skimmer is still just overflowing. Going to try another large waterchange, and just keep an eye on it, but I am really surprised it is taking this long. I put it into a re-set established old tank before so it was a couple of days and it was dialed in

I should really keep a journal so I know what was added and when, so that way I can be sure it’s just not lack of patience and overthinking that is leading me to these conclusions

Last edited:
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Continuing with the ridiculous theme of this build, I removed the TEK-5 ATO container, Tried a Brute (too risky) swapped to a 5g bucket temporarily, and I just took the baffles out of my old sump (35g? 30g?) and I spray painted the entire outside of it Pink even though it will be going under the stand!

Earn WWC Rewards Points

How old do you think you'll be before you are too old to care for a reef tank?

• 50-60

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 61-70

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • 71-80

Votes: 47 20.5%
  • 81-90

Votes: 32 14.0%
  • 90+

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I'll reef until I die

Votes: 113 49.3%