1   0   0
This is awesome!! Following!

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you attach the lighting to the the same type wood as the plank you the tank sitting on ? That would look awesome.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving how this is all turning out John! I might have missed it but can we have an updated stock list? Hows the curve 9 working out for you?

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you attach the lighting to the the same type wood as the plank you the tank sitting on ? That would look awesome.

I have a window on the left, so I can’t use the walls really so I have to hang the light assembly from the ceiling, and although I have another piece of live-edge, it probably weighs 100lbs if not much more...... That makes hanging it tough, but I love the idea of it.

Loving how this is all turning out John! I might have missed it but can we have an updated stock list? Hows the curve 9 working out for you?

Curve 9 Elite is everything the 5 was, but better! I have it pulling out thick dark skim, and it doesn’t fill up as fast because the collection cup is huge.

Current stocking:

50? snails
40? hermits
10? Emeralds
couple cleaner shrimp
White pincushion
Halloween Urchin
Purple Lobster that I would like to catch/move

Quoyi Parrotfish (7-8”)
Yellow Cubicus Box 1”
Longhorn Cowfish 1.5”

No current or future plans for any other fish. I liked the idea of wrasses and anthias but went with my slow boxy fish because I don’t want a top.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a window on the left, so I can’t use the walls really so I have to hang the light assembly from the ceiling, and although I have another piece of live-edge, it probably weighs 100lbs if not much more...... That makes hanging it tough, but I love the idea of it.

Curve 9 Elite is everything the 5 was, but better! I have it pulling out thick dark skim, and it doesn’t fill up as fast because the collection cup is huge.

Current stocking:

50? snails
40? hermits
10? Emeralds
couple cleaner shrimp
White pincushion
Halloween Urchin
Purple Lobster that I would like to catch/move

Quoyi Parrotfish (7-8”)
Yellow Cubicus Box 1”
Longhorn Cowfish 1.5”

No current or future plans for any other fish. I liked the idea of wrasses and anthias but went with my slow boxy fish because I don’t want a top.

No tangs? And box fish are awesome ! I wish I could have one myself.

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No tangs? And box fish are awesome ! I wish I could have one myself.

Nope. 3 fish. That’s it!

I tried to find a $500-ish Gem on the trading forums, preferred within a few hour drive. When I found nothing, I decided to get the Cubicus and then realizing he was so small, and the Parrotfish was also so passive, I knew my last addition couldn’t be a tang. Didn’t want to chance anything picking on Boxy-Brown...... I imagine he would stress and die pretty easily if bullied.......

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. 3 fish. That’s it!

I tried to find a $500-ish Gem on the trading forums, preferred within a few hour drive. When I found nothing, I decided to get the Cubicus and then realizing he was so small, and the Parrotfish was also so passive, I knew my last addition couldn’t be a tang. Didn’t want to chance anything picking on Boxy-Brown...... I imagine he would stress and die pretty easily if bullied.......
I think he would too. Nice restraint John.
But I dont think I could do only 3 fish. I LOVE FISH!

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got done with my Neptune support call....... My ATK and EB8 both work! We ran out of time to setup my WXM but I’m glad whatever reset they did fixed everything and they said nothing could have been done on my end, so I am glad somewhat that it wasn’t something dumb I was overlooking

I only have my Ozone connected to the EB8. I will assign and program more when I get a chance, but I’m glad it’s all working again.

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how the 3 UVs are plumbed together....... 4th will be plumbed with one other possibly in the future so 2 separate 50w units at different flow rates. one “moderate” flow for algae and water clarity and one at 180gph or so for parasite control. Either way, these are dirty tank pics and blurry sump pics from just a minute ago

997A1A71-EAEF-4E27-9CA4-FB91EF73F252.jpeg
FAD80EEB-29F6-4853-8804-E90DA6A8455E.jpeg
F3DD5FC6-390A-4C49-BA39-0F82EACDA79C.jpeg
A615A8F7-2E7C-486E-AF1A-648D200EF6BA.jpeg
733A2D79-DB76-4B04-B989-F8047A4DDA4D.jpeg
DE41361F-0065-4DD4-8CAA-390E20830AE8.jpeg
FA431D6F-1D4C-4364-8DC7-125BB312FCF9.jpeg
17AB3094-B166-43FC-924B-146FCFC05841.jpeg

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mini-soon-to-be update. Bought 4x Radion XR30 Pro’s. Will see what I can do with them when they arrive, but if anyone has a (or 2) 48” Aquatic Life T5 Hybrid fixture...... I need 2

FishFingas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m about to give up on my skimmer. I can’t lower the sump level anymore, and it just never really got dialed in. Thinking about upgrading to a much bigger one anyways...... so I may do that vs fighting anymore with this one
Hey, I had this exact same issue when setting up my new tank, just over a year ago. Skimmer was more like a soda fountain!
I believe theres a few things that cause it such as:
New salt water and high surface tension of the water.
Having nothing much to skim (fish waste etc).
I found that adding brand new equipment e.g pipework for the plumbing, including the solvent etc. Even new filter socks, powerheads, the tank glass etc.. Seems manufacturing process leaves residue that can cause skimmer to go nuts for a while.. On a new setup theres lots of this "new surface" so all adds up. Rinse everything that goes in the tank really well.
Anyway, I solved the problem in the end after chatting with a guy in my LFS who suggested putting a piece of tubing over the air inlet with a valve on it to reduce the air coming into the skimmer..
As mine is a DC skimmer I turned it right down, set water level low and closed the air valve significantly reducing the air flow in to the skimmer...Worked like a dream! over the next few weeks gradually opened the valve a tiny bit every now and then and eventually it all dialled in, removed the air valve, turned it up and hey presto.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I had this exact same issue when setting up my new tank, just over a year ago. Skimmer was more like a soda fountain!
I believe theres a few things that cause it such as:
New salt water and high surface tension of the water.
Having nothing much to skim (fish waste etc).
I found that adding brand new equipment e.g pipework for the plumbing, including the solvent etc. Even new filter socks, powerheads, the tank glass etc.. Seems manufacturing process leaves residue that can cause skimmer to go nuts for a while.. On a new setup theres lots of this "new surface" so all adds up. Rinse everything that goes in the tank really well.
Anyway, I solved the problem in the end after chatting with a guy in my LFS who suggested putting a piece of tubing over the air inlet with a valve on it to reduce the air coming into the skimmer..
As mine is a DC skimmer I turned it right down, set water level low and closed the air valve significantly reducing the air flow in to the skimmer...Worked like a dream! over the next few weeks gradually opened the valve a tiny bit every now and then and eventually it all dialled in, removed the air valve, turned it up and hey presto.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I got it sorted out, and after my skimmer started working great, I upgraded it!

Mini mini update coming. Bought another fish.... swore I wouldn’t but I did!

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build Jon. Just now seeing this. How do you like the black mat on the bottom. I considered doing something like that on my BB but backed out.

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build Jon. Just now seeing this. How do you like the black mat on the bottom. I considered doing something like that on my BB but backed out.

I have the black rubber mat under my tank, for top irregularities and leveling purposes..... also the FBS or or whatever it’s called board inside the tank to protect the bottom from falling rocks etc.

I don’t know if the latter was necessary or not, but I don’t regret either one of those things.

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Night shots. My soon-to-be Octopus Nano runs whatever light schedule I googled, and my low-boy is running all blues for a couple hours before I turn them all off. Still flicking switches on lights manually. some days 6 hours, others 12. You never know!

New lights arrive tomorrow!!!

E8147568-64A7-4A79-B9D0-924BA4804BEE.jpeg
EA1184B2-7B8B-48B4-BC78-D53FE64154A4.jpeg

Back