OP
J

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking build! Are you going to have the lights plugged into the apex? I would on mine but the CBB cord is too short so I have to use one of those ugly white outlet timers for it. You could put two dressed up pillars under the over hangs. What are you thinking for a stock list? You could potentially section off parts of the tank since it’s so long, or go for some real swimmers! Lots of potential. And how are you going to handle the flow situation? Gyres on each end? Bare bottom, so you probably want a lot of flow and SPS but your gonna have to figure that out with a 10’ tank. I am a bit further than you in starting a tank up. I’m doing the WWC/BRS hybrid method, you should check out the YouTube videos on it. Ep20 does a full recap. Right now I’m waiting on coralline algae to start growing so I can add corals
7d2c1d5808da82d2f7f8aac401de0cb1.jpg

Plan is to run power to two strips up top, and plug all the whites into one, and blues into another, and connect them both to the apex below. I have no idea how to work the apex yet, so we will see!

As far as flow, I have two 1500gph Koralias, and Five MP40’s..... No idea where they will go yet.

I will hopefully work on two pillars for the ends soon..... I had nothing but time before, and now I feel like I am running out of time with the tank being finished soon!

I am moving all rock etc from my 75g, but I am planning on buying a dry, drilled (big holes through it) rock from a local shop that weighs about 70lbs....... it’s huge and it will be the centerpiece of the tank/scape

I don’t get into the glueing-rocks together stuff. I just like bigger stable pieces.

As far as fish, I am tossing around the idea of a Powder Brown, Kole, and Blonde Naso Tang. So 3-tangs and just a bunch of clean-up-crew

Millopolis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sounds great. I would just add all the tangs at once! I have added tangs slowly and it does not go over well

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sounds great. I would just add all the tangs at once! I have added tangs slowly and it does not go over well

I have the Powder Blue..... bought it once the upgrade started...... Was going to get the other 2 and add all three at the same time to the new tank.

Not sure if I will go that direction or not though...... kids want all sorts of “other” fish. I guess it wouldn’t be bad to have variety..... I would be fine having just the Powder in it, and nothing else!

Millopolis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha PBT, add him first I say. Let him get established. But I agree with the kids on more fish. That is a lot of tank, ten feet leaves so many possibilities.

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t commit or even decide on the back of the tank....... I know a rattler of kryon will get the job done, but has anyone used Plasti-dip on the back of their aquarium, and also successfully removed it later?

Edit: Tank has been delayed further, so my new-rock-cycle is no longer a concern. I am hoping for a tank within 2 weeks

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t commit or even decide on the back of the tank....... I know a rattler of kryon will get the job done, but has anyone used Plasti-dip on the back of their aquarium, and also successfully removed it later?

Edit: Tank has been delayed further, so my new-rock-cycle is no longer a concern. I am hoping for a tank within 2 weeks

I've heard that alot of people like to use plasti dip, and that its fairly easy to remove, i saw a video where someone did plastidip to test it out

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard that alot of people like to use plasti dip, and that its fairly easy to remove, i saw a video where someone did plastidip to test it out

Now I just have to decide the color I guess. I was going to tape lines and just do the center of the back/overflow and leave a couple feet clear on each end, but I’d like the powerheads to be more hidden (cables etc) so I may do the whole thing

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I just have to decide the color I guess. I was going to tape lines and just do the center of the back/overflow and leave a couple feet clear on each end, but I’d like the powerheads to be more hidden (cables etc) so I may do the whole thing
I personally always enjoy black backgrounds I used black foam board on my 20g nano

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to update...... tank apparently still not done. Over the 3 month mark now. I did re-home the PBT, so I could go in a different direction. I have one more fish to give away, because it's too much bioload to rehome in my Nano.

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far in over my head here. Trying to do bean animal, trying not to flood my house. Plumbing is my kryptonite.

Having a tough time determining what joints to glue and what ones not to.

I have the first two going to the pre-installed 8” or so pipes of my Trigger 39 sump and I removed the pipe from the 3rd so it will be above the waterline for the emergency 3rd drain-pipe

I am leak testing the bulkheads in the external overflow box now, if no leaks I will be adding water to bring the tank/sump up to operating level.

Should I drill a hole in the durso’s 90?

0F480CED-3131-4AB1-96A2-6A6C717057EE.jpeg
5FEF0B91-7D4D-48F3-804A-602486B5F851.jpeg
1B61F2B7-A8B2-474E-B63F-714C7857E84D.jpeg

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to discharge a firearm inside my home........ Why does everything leak?!?!!!? I am told that it’s probably the bulkheads making it seem like it’s the pipes, but nope.......

I was told to dry-connect most of it, as it will make maintenance easier, and it won’t leak because it’s low pressure etc. but once again... NOPE

If I had the ability to move around my tank etc it would be one thing, but my back has gotten so bad from crawling in the stand, and out, and climbing over the tank to straddle it trying to reach bulkheads etc, that I end up taking breaks just so my back doesn’t spasm-out and make me throw wrenches through the tank.

I have such a difficult and tight setup now, taking it all apart for the millionth time to glue/reinstall seems like a moving goal at this point. I am gonna give it another shot, and hope for the best.

Tyler White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna be worth it in the end ol bud. I had to redo my herbie plumbing a few times and it was a pain on such a small scale so i cant imagine what itd be like for yours but its all about that endgame :D

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back