Wallace180

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DFEC4818-F16B-41DC-9FF5-359EF284DDAB.jpeg
F8BC1B15-E5C5-44CE-9102-FA672A32020E.jpeg

My small 8 foot frag-display..... display-frag........drag-tank (patent pending) tank build is underway. 96 x 16 x 16

EDIT: 06/12/19 Tank will now be 96 x 20 x 16 I'm told done as soon as next week........

Starting with a little stand:

Edit: I am putting up a Red Sea Max Nano while I await my long-daddy to be built. More updates to come:
Super nice

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am adding a bunch cleaners..... I moved over the Emeralds, Halloween Urchin, and snails from the old tank. no idea how many, and 2 cleaner shrimp. I added a Sunk cleaner, and 20 more turbo snails. I want to add all inverts before an 80-90 day fallow period.

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skunk cleaner shrimp lasted less than 24 hours. not good. Urchin, snails and crab are all doing great after 3 or so days. Hmm.

Also, I know it’s all new plumbing and all new tank , sump etc, but my skimmer was added on day 3 and has done nothing but dump frothy white foam and overflowing constantly since putting it in. I am hoping it is just an adjustment period. Skimmer was great in prior tank, so at least I know it was working properly before, and I don’t have to second guess assembly etc. I am leaving it in/on with cover off and just letting it overflow. Should I do anything else?

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new addition..... slowly opening up. It gets a lot bigger, I swear......

wellsophyllia.....

1C692BF1-96FB-4A9C-8A30-11EEA8EC168F.jpeg

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the normal day-time lights. Today will be a day to tackle one issue..... maybe take the Apex out of the box finally, or maybe at least GET the plumbing pieces I need for the algae scrubber. I need to do some electrical cord management still too. I will tinker around with the Apex and see if I throw in the towel or not....

D6A3C4FE-8103-4783-8ACE-BB27C22B8216.jpeg

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I didn’t realize this Apex thing had its own screen. I finally unboxed it after 5 months. It isn’t WIFI so can I use it as-is until I run an ethernet cable through my walls?

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that slab you used, never even thought of using one before. I have a couple drying but I’m not to sure about width. Looks awesome!!!!

I honestly wish it were wider (not sure I would have been able to find one wide enough though) so in addition to the bark, I could see more of the transition from dark bark > light wood\new growth > dark wood

Still glad I used it though...... the space that overhangs on each end of the tank has been great for a place to set down things etc while I mess with / clean the tank etc

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. For two days. maybe 3, who knows, but the ATK or Auto-Top-Off from Neptune has kicked my butt and I finally threw in the towel on getting it to work.

Small victories though! It took me all of 5 minutes to get my Algae Scrubber up and running!

I have to finish many more things, and when I am done constantly climbing into the stand, I plan to deal with the light spilling out of this thing.

AC62DA01-7FE7-450D-A377-BACD5EAD6AEC.jpeg

Ocean thompson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to build the stand up 6-8 more inches, it has 8 4x4’s already in it for added support. After assessing the floor situation I will decide if I am going to go stone (soapstone or quartz) top, or something lighter. Polished/dyed concrete is also a contender for a budget friendly option, but those are all 300+ lb options. I may end up buying/staining/sealing a butcherblock countertop too

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it’s been about 3 weeks since setup.

So, new tank, bare bottom, mostly re-used rocks, new sump, new plumbing etc etc

My skimmer has been overflowing since day 1

Same skimmer that ran like a champ on my 75, I haven’t even bothered to put the cup on. Sump water level isn’t gonna get any lower, so I need to figure out why this thing is foaming like a mad dog.....

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK Skimmer is still just overflowing. Going to try another large waterchange, and just keep an eye on it, but I am really surprised it is taking this long. I put it into a re-set established old tank before so it was a couple of days and it was dialed in

I should really keep a journal so I know what was added and when, so that way I can be sure it’s just not lack of patience and overthinking that is leading me to these conclusions

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continuing with the ridiculous theme of this build, I removed the TEK-5 ATO container, Tried a Brute (too risky) swapped to a 5g bucket temporarily, and I just took the baffles out of my old sump (35g? 30g?) and I spray painted the entire outside of it Pink even though it will be going under the stand!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back