Schooling Fish for 55 Gallon Reef

akelly310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any schooling fish that would be happy in a 55 gallon tank with a pair of clowns?

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't get much of a school with that size. A trio maybe. Cardinals could work, but you'll likely just end up with two. Honestly not many fish actually school in home aquariums.

OP
OP
akelly310

akelly310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't get much of a school with that size. A trio maybe. Cardinals could work, but you'll likely just end up with two. Honestly not many fish actually school in home aquariums.
i was afraid that might be the case. Appreciate the input!

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Banggai cardinals or chromis. Chromis don’t really school, but they shoal.

OP
OP
akelly310

akelly310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Banggai cardinals or chromis. Chromis don’t really school, but they shoal.
I’ve heard in the past that chronic can be aggressive, if I am remembering correctly. Is this something to worry about? If so, any precautions I should take?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd have to have some stressor or a predator to get schooling. Otherwise, best you can hope for is shoaling. It's difficult in that size of a tank (as you know). I'd vote chromis (although they have a proclivity to knock eachother off over a few years in small tanks) or bangai cardinals.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was afraid that might be the case. Appreciate the input!

There are a couple Chromis species that could work. Anthias hang out together at times too. Sorry I didn't mean to be completely discouraging, there are options they just don't swim in tight groups like we want :)

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve heard in the past that chronic can be aggressive, if I am remembering correctly. Is this something to worry about? If so, any precautions I should take?
Yes, they are a hit or miss. It’s really hard to know if they can live together for a while or not. If you probably add them at same time, you might have a better luck. Sorry I couldn’t be much of a help

OP
OP
akelly310

akelly310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a couple Chromis species that could work too. Anthias hang out together at times too. Sorry I didn't mean to be completely discouraging, there are options they just don't swim in tight groups like we want :)
Oh no, I am not discouraged at the least. I think I clearly misused the word “schooling”. I meant more of hanging out together Similar to my clownfish, but maybe not quite as attached. I think I meant to use the word shoal. Excuse my ignorance on word usage! Haha

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also liked some of the basslets before too. Chalk basslets can coexist although they get pricey. Another very pretty Chromis I've had group well was the sunshine fish, Chromis insolata. Hard to find and expensive but really cool and mine at least didn't kill each other.

adromero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get chromis I would put them last. I found them to be aggressive.

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read in a CORAL magazine that a big reason why chromis don't school/shoal in aquariums and kill each other is because there isn't a constant supply of food. They think have to compete with each other to get enough to eat.

OP
OP
akelly310

akelly310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read in a CORAL magazine that a big reason why chromis don't school/shoal in aquariums and kill each other is because there isn't a constant supply of food. They think have to compete with each other to get enough to eat.
Interesting!

RiversideReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought 3 chromis for my first tank and they all died off 1 by 1. could it have been a disease specific to chromis? maybe. all my other fish are thriving so far.

i was recently recommended by my LFS to get the firefish in groups... i bought just 1 for now but i can see how it would be nice to have them in a group of 3 or more.

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought 3 chromis for my first tank and they all died off 1 by 1. could it have been a disease specific to chromis? maybe. all my other fish are thriving so far.

i was recently recommended by my LFS to get the firefish in groups... i bought just 1 for now but i can see how it would be nice to have them in a group of 3 or more.
That’s just what they do in captivity. They kill each other until there’s one left. Some people have success, however.

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if that's the case i'm really wondering why my LFS recommended them as my first group of fish
Mine did too. The CORAL magazine also said that in the LFS they usually tolerate each other due to stress, but when they're put in a home aquarium and get comfortable, they start attacking each other.

RiversideReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did too. The CORAL magazine also said that in the LFS they usually tolerate each other due to stress, but when they're put in a home aquarium and get comfortable, they start attacking each other.

interesting. also when i do visit my LFS chromis are the ones i always see dead.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back