OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CoralVue Hydros support is awesome. They helped me fix the problem. Turns out there is a certain order you have to do to completely factory reset a device. 1) Delete it from the app under device properties 2) Wipe the pump settings by holding the magnet until the light turns purple 3) After it reboots, hold the magnet until the light turns yellow to reset the WiFi settings 4) After reboot, you can now add the device again and it should now successfully work like new

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nitrates and Nitrites are still at those same levels. I will definitely be doing a water change when I have time tomorrow.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a 60% water change (~14 gallons). The nitrite test was promising at first since it started out lighter. But it looks like it's still at 5 ppm Nitrite (which is the highest color on the API kit). What should I do now? Should I just keep doing water changes? Should I leave it continue to work itself out? In theory the cycle is complete since the Ammonia ran all the way to 0 before I started doing water changes.

Edit: got opinions in another thread

Last edited:
OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pictures of my current desk setup. These two tanks will be moved to a side table with my printer. My Waterbox Peninsula Mini 25 will be going on the left side of the desk, and everything will be shifted to the right. The left tank is prepped for red cherry shrimp that arrive this week. The right tank is for a betta fish eventually.

_1030145.JPG
_1030138.JPG
_1030130.JPG
_1030133.JPG

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1621478130329.png

Here's a preview of the corals I got from the WWC live sale. They will be arriving on the 26th. I will have them on some egg crate racks in my tank until I move the tank on June 3rd and glue the aquascape on June 6th. They're listed at the beginning of the thread

Last edited:
OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
63F0E7EB-FEFC-49F6-B0B5-07482EACEE8A.jpeg
16C31543-E48F-459B-81D6-54258322C179.jpeg

You’ll have to forgive the mess. I moved the rock to the tank today. It’s been cycled for over a month now. The water was also pristine, so I moved it over. I left it bare bottom until I move. The sand and the remaining around 10 lbs of rock are in the trash can with a power head.

The intention of the scape is to have the higher flow corals near the back and have them sweep outward. There are also valleys between the island and the main rockwork that will house macro alages which I’ll be purchasing this weekend.

Also, the sponge is for the QT

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1621461842776.png

Here's a preview of the Macro Algaes that I ordered from Reef Cleaners. These will arrive next week. I also ordered my clean up crew from them that will be all snails.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3F246A72-C64F-484B-AFE4-3AD52A50B3C8.jpeg

I made a custom lid using the BRS kit. I made a cut out that’s kind of crude at the moment. But this is where the mangroves will grow out. I’m thinking I’ll probably put anywhere from 2 to 5 of them there. Once I move, I will transfer the sand bed and put some in. I’m excited for June 5th! That’s when I’ll be fully moved in and can start with the fun stuff

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My WWC corals arrive tomorrow! I added a Green Aussie Lord to the order as well. And the macros and snails arrive on Thursday. In prep I did a 20% water change. Current parameters are below.

9.4 dKH
410-420 Ca
1260 Mg
0.05 ppm Phosphate
5.00 ppm Nitrate

Last edited:
OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My live sale corals have arrived. Finished dipping them all and placed them in my tank. You'll have to excuse the poor frag rack. I'll be moving on June 3rd and this is a temporary rack for them until then, at which point I'll mount them to the aquascape once that's setup. I also have cycled sand in a bucket with a powerhead and heater. Some of the corals will be put on the sand bed.

_1030146.JPG
_1030148.JPG
_1030149.JPG
_1030150.JPG

Most of the corals have already opened up and the coloration is looking good. There are 2 or 3 that are still closed like the candy cane and the toadstool. Those should open up within a week.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F0E1E744-8E57-43FE-B3C4-885A926E049B.jpeg

I got a peppermint shrimp too. It looks like it’s missing all of its left legs. Anyone know if these will grow back or if he will be fine?

I checked the bag, and the bowl he was acclimating them in, and it does not appear that they are there. So I’m not sure if it was shipped like this or if I somehow accidentally did

EDIT: I did a quick search and it sounds like the legs will grow back after it molts.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
USPS shipped my macros from West Palm Beat Florida to California. It has been stuck saying leaving that facility since Tuesday morning. This was for shipping to my apartment in Wisconsin.

Kinda getting nervous that it won’t arrive before I leave in a few hours. Will be out of town through Memorial Day. Hopefully it can survive that long if it actually shows up :(

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1EE686FB-968B-4169-8597-551B2ED88582.jpeg
98C94027-C3A0-48E7-94B3-95E128A385B4.jpeg
3894EECC-566B-4D25-B4FE-39FD06F3CDAC.jpeg

Here’s an update on my tank. It’s been up and running at my new place for over a week. Everything is stable, I monitored my new fish in a QT for over a week and didn’t notice any signs of disease or issues.

My macro algae shipment was delivered almost a week late by USPS. Almost all of the clean up crew was dead and most of the macros died a few days later. I’ll be buying some new pencil caps, shaving brushes, and other calcified macros in a week or so.

I’m currently in an ugly phase with brown algae and hair algae. I have plenty of astreas and a peppermint shrimp. My nitrates are around 4-5 and my phos is at 0.04. So I’m just gonna ride it out.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3245F750-5F8C-4DFE-B593-3FE1AC1537FC.jpeg

F95A0E5C-87C9-48B9-B78A-FD77359D9EDE.jpeg

It’s been a while since an update. I’ve added more snails to battle the algae. I’ve added some sexy shrimp and another feather duster.

I’m still trying to refine my lighting. I might bump down the purples and try to get it to look a little more blue. Also, my calcified macro algae’s aren’t doing so hot. So I pulled off the dead parts and put them back in, hoping they bounce back.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubled down on the amount of corals I have. Here is the full list of what I have now.

@REEFTIDE Space Ghost Micromussa
@REEFTIDE Blue Green Ricordea Mushroom
@REEFTIDE Nirvana Zoanthids
@REEFTIDE 24K Leptoseris
@REEFTIDE Artic Firestorm Micromussa
@REEFTIDE Sugar High Chalice
@REEFTIDE Georgia Peach Zoanthids
@REEFTIDE Purple Candelabra Gorgonian
@WWC Radioactive Branching Hammer
@WWC Pulsing Xenia
@WWC Green Aussie Lord
@WWC Spearmint Alveopora
@WWC Mint Massacre Favia
@WWC Waving Hand Anthelia
@WWC Honeycomb Leptastra
@WWC Fireworks Clove Polyps
@WWC Orange Rainbow Ricordea Mushroom
@WWC Agent Orange Echinata
@WWC Neon Astreopora
@WWC Purple Scroll Tubinaria
@WWC Colt Coral
@WWC Bicolor Candy Cane
@WWC Radioactive Fuzzy Rhodactis Mushroom
@WWC Golden Pavona
@WWC Sour Willy Ricordea Mushroom
@WWC Lavender Platygyra
@WWC Merlot Rhodactis Mushroom
@WWC Green Polyp Toadstool Leather
@WWC Green Duncan
@WWC Neon GSP
@WWC Fifth Element Blastomussa
@WWC Green Birdsnest
@WWC Alien Eye Aussie Lobophyllia
@WWC Kedds Reds Zoanthids
@WWC Mint Green Stylophora

Livestock
2 ORA Carmel Misbar Clownfish
Banggai Cardinalfish
ORA Sharknose Goby
3 @WWC Feather Dusters
3 @WWC Sexy Shrimp
@WWC Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
@WWC Peppermint Shrimp
@WWC Astrea, Nassarius, and Margarita Snails
@WWC Dwarf Hermit Crabs
Dwarf and Florida Cerith Snails
Codium
Carpeting Halimedia
Mermaid Fan
4 @REEFTIDE Rock Flower Anemones
3 @AlgaeBarn ORA Mangroves
Thick and Thin Branching Coralline Algae

A Lawnmower Blenny and a Azure Damselfish are being QT'd by Dr. Reef's QT Fish and will be added in about a month.

Sorry for the long list. Just thought it may be useful for anyone who was curious. I was having trouble keeping my other calcified macro algaes alive and had to toss them. I also haven't seen my Black Clown Goby in over 3 weeks and have presumed him dead. Also sorry for the heavy blue, I reduced whites to help combat the nuisance algae growth for now.

_1030161.JPG

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun thread to read from start to where you are today! Tank looks gorgeous, with so much diversity.

Mind sharing your feeding regiment? I'm just getting started and would love to learn more!

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun thread to read from start to where you are today! Tank looks gorgeous, with so much diversity.

Mind sharing your feeding regiment? I'm just getting started and would love to learn more!
I feed once per day. I use Red Sea AB+, @Reef Nutrition TDA Chroma Boost X-small, @Reef Nutrition Arcti-Pods, and @Reef Nutrition Phyto-Feast. I also feed Reef Roids once a week

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great food selection from our line-up!

You should plan on coming to MACNA next year in Milwaukee! We would love to meet you and learn more about your tank.

Have a great week!

Best,
Chad
I would love to attend! I’m hoping I’ll be available. I know my fish would love more food :)

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back