Schuran Customs 90g tank with HUGE Algae reactor

acabgd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the clip. Do you harvest the pods or you just make sure there's some there? You don't actively take them and put them into your tank?

OP
OP
maglofster

maglofster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the clip. Do you harvest the pods or you just make sure there's some there? You don't actively take them and put them into your tank?

Thank you! :)

It seems like the pods escape into the sump and from there goes into the tank. Sometimes during cleaning of the reactor I collect some pods and throw them into the DT and the fish go wild :)

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the flow rate through that reactor? You don't have any heat problems from the strip light?

mike321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, where did you purchase the reactor ? [emoji1303][emoji1303]

OP
OP
maglofster

maglofster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the flow rate through that reactor? You don't have any heat problems from the strip light?

I would say about 1500 liters per hour. As the chaeto grows I ramp up the flow on the pump, but when it's time to clean the reactor the flow can't be more than 1000 liters per hour because och the resistance. No heat issues really, ofcourse it slowly heats the water like any heat generation equipment added to the tank but the led strip is barely hot to the touch. I bought a waterproof LED-strip because I knew it was going to be more insulated.

OP
OP
maglofster

maglofster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, where did you purchase the reactor ? [emoji1303][emoji1303]
I bought it directly from Germany but any good LFS should be able to order one since Deltec is a well known and well represented company world wide.

OP
OP
maglofster

maglofster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have issues with coraline algae growing on the inside of the acrylic?
Good question!

I do have SOME coraline algae, but it grows really slow and is also very easy to remove. The coraline in my DT grows much faster and seems healthier. After using this for about a year now I can say that algae growing on the inside of the acrylic has not been an issue for me.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question!

I do have SOME coraline algae, but it grows really slow and is also very easy to remove. The coraline in my DT grows much faster and seems healthier. After using this for about a year now I can say that algae growing on the inside of the acrylic has not been an issue for me.
Thanks!

OP
OP
maglofster

maglofster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E23I0147-2.jpg
My clowns are happy with their BTA. That makes me happy :)

OP
OP
maglofster

maglofster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Insanity + understanding wife = 4 DOS, algae reactor and CO2 scrubber in our apartements ONLY walk in closet. I dose Core7, Potassium, Nopox, Iodine, Nitrate and Easy reef booster.

IMG_0334.jpg

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Valchromat sounds like a very interesting product. Is it water resistant? I noticed it is MDF wood product and most are destroyed by small amounts of water here in the United States. Like your system and the acrylic tank. I fabricated acrylic tanks for over 25 years here in the U.S. and always look for new products.

OP
OP
maglofster

maglofster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Valchromat sounds like a very interesting product. Is it water resistant? I noticed it is MDF wood product and most are destroyed by small amounts of water here in the United States. Like your system and the acrylic tank. I fabricated acrylic tanks for over 25 years here in the U.S. and always look for new products.

Yes, Valchromat has all the good characteristics of MDF but with one major advantage, the resin/coloring makes it water resistant, of course you still have to be carfeful, you can't soak it like a plastic material, but it's very popular to build custom made kitchens from this material so it's very water resistant.

I really love the tank. https://www.schuran.com/english/start know their stuff :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back