Scientists project 70 to 90 percent of coral reefs will disappear over the next 20 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The US only makes up 4.3% of the global population, yet our carbon emissions are 15% of the world total........

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, the United States has the 3rd worst carbon output in the world and we continue to put little to no effort into reducing our carbon emissions. According the UN, the United States has the worst amount of improvement along with Saudi Arabia and Russia. Where did you get the statistic that our carbon reduction was #1 in the world?

I’m guessing that it’s related to claims by Roy Spencer or John Christy based on their affiliation with the University of Alabama. It’s just a guess. I could be wrong.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Climate change should have nothing to do with politics. I don't care what political party you align yourself with, science has nothing to do with it. We cannot continue to believe that this is part of a natural cycle, that myth was debunked a long time ago. Take a look at this link, it explains everything about climate change, including its impact on the oceans.

In our reef tanks we would rush make a change if our fish and corals were dying, but some of you don't seem to care that this is happening and will continue to happen in the world oceans. Stop being hypocritical and start seperating your political views from facts.

I disagree about climate change being not political. I live in Vermont...we tent to lean green when it comes to politics. Outright blocking of polluting industries, pushing car idling laws, supporting solar panels though out the landscape, recycling our food scraps, etc, etc.

sfairtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just curious what WE in the reefing community are doing about it? Just throwing up our hands? Could we help and do our part to protect the ocean's ecosystem we love so much? Could we donate our time, money, efforts, and ideas to advance the cause and case for slowing and possibly reversing the damage us humans have done? Could we minimize and even eliminate plastics and styrofoam from our reefing hobby? It's going to be ordinary people doing little and ordinary things collectively that will put our planet back on the right track. We need to always point the finger inward first however. I believe we as a hobby could do more...we should do more. My guess is we will do more.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just curious what WE in the reefing community are doing about it? Just throwing up our hands? Could we help and do our part to protect the ocean's ecosystem we love so much? Could we donate our time, money, efforts, and ideas to advance the cause and case for slowing and possibly reversing the damage us humans have done? Could we minimize and even eliminate plastics and styrofoam from our reefing hobby? It's going to be ordinary people doing little and ordinary things collectively that will put our planet back on the right track. We need to always point the finger inward first however. I believe we as a hobby could do more...we should do more. My guess is we will do more.

Yeah....create a reefing tax, licensing system which goes to governing agencies which police the bad players in this industry or the pollution threats that inpact the industry...like the ding dong rock farmer who collected wild rock and got busted a few years back. I'm sure the taxpayers of Florida payed (the Fish and Wildlife agents) to investigate and bring him to court.

It would be great to see the industry players have their own system to put back toward the hobby, but I think the ocean problem really isn't with the hobby, but with human growth in general.

sfairtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah....create a reefing tax, licensing system which goes to governing agencies which police the bad players in this industry or the pollution threats that inpact the industry...like the ding dong rock farmer who collected wild rock and got busted a few years back. I'm sure the taxpayers of Florida payed (the Fish and Wildlife agents) to investigate and bring him to court.

It would be great to see the industry players have their own system to put back toward the hobby, but I think the ocean problem really isn't with the hobby, but with human growth in general.
That would be a good idea! And you are correct certainly not within the hobby's ability to fix it alone. I do think we could and will lead the charge. If we can't get excited about the possibilities of saving coral reefs, how can we expect the public. Know what I mean? And looking inward first, I think having an industry run on styrofoam and plastic doesn't send a good message to start. Earth is dying from death by 1,000 cuts. We could help heal and stop our cutting to keep running with that analogy.

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And Al Gore invented the internet.

not sure if this is a joke, but since I still hear this 20 years later here’s the transcript of that interview. https://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/03/09/president.2000/transcript.gore/
Here’s the quote for those that don’t want to dive in.

F758F58D-EDAC-4016-85AC-5E2F5FF58FB6.png
And of course you won’t hear any of those that invented the internet upset that Gore stole their thunder. They shower him with praise for his work. He’s even in some internet hall of fame.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys. There’s a place for these opinionated posts: Twitter. You can spew all the vile you want there. These threads on climate change and coral bleaching bring out the worst in everyone.

Piranhapat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a forum and free speech. If the monitors want to close it they can. Why bother have a forum. Everybody so up tight. Everything so serious nothing wrong expressing opinions. Everybody let’s take away your first amendments while where at it.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a forum and free speech. If the monitors want to close it they can. Why bother have a forum. Everybody so up tight. Everything so serious nothing wrong expressing opinions. Everybody let’s take away your first amendments while where at it.
Because politics brings out the worst in people. This forum is successful because politics isn’t tolerated. If you want to talk politics and shut down the thread, fine by me. Twitter allows you to say basically whatever you want so I’m just saying, if you want to talk politics, go there. I’ll be happy to talk reef tanks and have a beer any day, regardless of political affiliation.

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who believes in CNN got to be joking.
It’s the transcript from the interview with Wolf Blitzer. I put a pic of the quote because I knew there are people that see cnn and are turned off. I used cnn because that is the network that did the interview. You can arrive at your own conclusions.

Al Gore and AOC, although vocal about climate science, are off topic. I just don’t get why one feels a need to make those posts. It’s like telling the same joke over and over. We get it.

Piranhapat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because politics brings out the worst in people. This forum is successful because politics isn’t tolerated. If you want to talk politics and shut down the thread, fine by me. Twitter allows you to say basically whatever you want so I’m just saying, if you want to talk politics, go there. I’ll be happy to talk reef tanks and have a beer any day, regardless of political affiliation.
I totally agree with you. But sometimes it goes a certain way and you just go with it. And have some fun and hear what people have to say. Just opinions that might get off topic. At least it gets people talking. Good or bad. So can’t take it to seriously

ppatches24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we are just sitting here at 12 at night on a fish forum...... (probably not doing any real good for the earth) Back to the topic but nothing to do with c***** c*****

So is the thought that us keeping reefs at home helps or destroys reefs? Or does it have any effect?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree with you. But sometimes it goes a certain way and you just go with it. And have some fun and hear what people have to say. Just opinions that might get off topic. At least it gets people talking. Good or bad. So can’t take it to seriously
I’ve seen these threads turn into death matches before. I just don’t think it’s good for the forum and for the hobby. Just my opinion. I do believe that an open discussion is nice but via internet, it turns into a pool of hatred.

Asmolupers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The US only makes up 4.3% of the global population, yet our carbon emissions are 15% of the world total........
Wow, I didn’t this about the US. I never would’ve guessed with all the epa regulations.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we are just sitting here at 12 at night on a fish forum...... (probably not doing any real good for the earth) Back to the topic but nothing to do with c***** c*****

So is the thought that us keeping reefs at home helps or destroys reefs? Or does it have any effect?
To try to get back on topic... I believe keeping a home reef is good education. At least it keeps us simpler, non-scientist people aware of what a coral reef actually is. Half of my tank was built from coral farmed corals and frags from friends tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back