Scientists project 70 to 90 percent of coral reefs will disappear over the next 20 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is coffee good for you or bad? One week yes, one week no.......Science at work!

Piranhapat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell your not very bright. I guess I hit a political nerve. Your the one that can’t take criticism. It was a joke.... take it to serious Pro . Lol happy reefing the world is ending soon.
Just be careful with your typos when you challenge someone’s intelligence.
If you don’t want to contribute anything to discussions on climate change, don’t comment. It’s that simple. It’s really strange to me that you would say something you know is going to be controversial and then act shocked when you get a reply that disagrees with you.
Stop taken this so serious. You know you went to far now your trying to be right. Relax the world isn’t ending. You feel better. Don’t tell people what they can contribute.

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop taken this so serious. You know you went to far now your trying to be right. Relax the world isn’t ending. You feel better.
Just drop it man. I stand by my statements.

daftwazzock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to see more effort by suppliers to work with biologists and identify coral and other fauna that are rare in the trade and work to introduce them to hobbyists. Because it will be the only way to save them.

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop taken this so serious. You know you went to far now your trying to be right. Relax the world isn’t ending. You feel better. Don’t tell people what they can contribute.

You do realise the world is ending, we just don't know when or how or if there will by humans around to witness it.

All we are currently proving as a species is that we can stop spending money looking for intelligence on another planet because we are already proving that 'intelligence' is an evolutionairy dead-end.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do realise the world is ending, we just don't know when or how or if there will by humans around to witness it.

All we are currently proving as a species is that we can stop spending money looking for intelligence on another planet because we are already proving that 'intelligence' is an evolutionairy dead-end.

The Fermi paradox is theoretical proof that advanced societies destroy themselves before developing feasible deep space travel. Or at least decimate themselves back to the Stone Age. :)

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is true it's kind of heartwarming that thousands if not millions of little reefs in glass boxes will remain and maybe if Humans get our **** together we might be able to repopulate the reefs if they fail.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Univ of Alabama about 6 months ago published research with 15 years of satellite temperature data showing an actual decrease of .5 degrees in global temps. So all these people scream that the US leaving the Paris Climate accords is a bad thing, our carbon output reduction was 2.9%. #1 in the world. China dead last, India next, followed by Indonesia. So why don't the environmental folks stop yelling at us and start yelling at them???

U

User1

View Badges
The Fermi paradox is theoretical proof that advanced societies destroy themselves before developing feasible deep space travel. Or at least decimate themselves back to the Stone Age. :)

You mentioned deep space travel. We are still struggling to get beyond low earth orbit :) Designed the Saturn rockets using common drafting tools pencil and paper. Still nothing able to touch it today although a couple years out all things considered.

I'm all for space exploration and communication. Sadly there will be no deep space travel. We are still many, many, many years away from doing it with any reliable form of sustainability. Sustainability being food and water and the whole supply chain.

Note - not saying you agree disagree - it is just what hit me when I read your reply. We focus on the noise and not set realistic challenges and problems to solve. That is what people should be upset with. Not the noise in threads such as this.

We are not ready to have those conversations yet.

Edit: btw - hope all is well with you.

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After spending far more time than I want to admit debating climate change skeptics over the past 10 years or so I’ve come to two conclusions:

1. When you spend enough time and dig deep enough, it’s almost never actually about what the scientific evidence shows, but rather is actually a cloaked standoff over cultural cognition, in-group vs out-group perceptions of risk, and communitarian vs. individualist worldviews.

2. Perhaps the only thing on earth as heartbreaking as the spasm of extinction spreading across this beautiful sphere is the lazy, conspiratorial cynicism of a bitter old man.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned deep space travel. We are still struggling to get beyond low earth orbit :) Designed the Saturn rockets using common drafting tools pencil and paper. Still nothing able to touch it today although a couple years out all things considered.

I'm all for space exploration and communication. Sadly there will be no deep space travel. We are still many, many, many years away from doing it with any reliable form of sustainability. Sustainability being food and water and the whole supply chain.

Note - not saying you agree disagree - it is just what hit me when I read your reply. We focus on the noise and not set realistic challenges and problems to solve. That is what people should be upset with. Not the noise in threads such as this.

We are not ready to have those conversations yet.

Edit: btw - hope all is well with you.

Oh, I was only suggesting that I doubt we will ever achieve deep space travel. At least not while on the path we are currently following.

P. S. I am well. How are you? ;)

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Univ of Alabama about 6 months ago published research with 15 years of satellite temperature data showing an actual decrease of .5 degrees in global temps. So all these people scream that the US leaving the Paris Climate accords is a bad thing, our carbon output reduction was 2.9%. #1 in the world. China dead last, India next, followed by Indonesia. So why don't the environmental folks stop yelling at us and start yelling at them???
This university of Alabama that shows a lot of red higher than average temps, not blue lower than average....... Since 1998 it has been for the most part above average every year.

olive'sreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Climate change should have nothing to do with politics. I don't care what political party you align yourself with, science has nothing to do with it. We cannot continue to believe that this is part of a natural cycle, that myth was debunked a long time ago. Take a look at this link, it explains everything about climate change, including its impact on the oceans.

In our reef tanks we would rush make a change if our fish and corals were dying, but some of you don't seem to care that this is happening and will continue to happen in the world oceans. Stop being hypocritical and start seperating your political views from facts.

olive'sreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Actually, the United States has the 3rd worst carbon output in the world and we continue to put little to no effort into reducing our carbon emissions. According the UN, the United States has the worst amount of improvement along with Saudi Arabia and Russia. Where did you get the statistic that our carbon reduction was #1 in the world?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey everyone, these threads unfortunately tend to go south real fast. For some reason this topic is one of a few that brings out personal attacks, so this will be the only posted warning. Please be nice. Don't insult one another. Don't go on political rants. We'd like to leave this one open as long as possible, but once it digresses, we will be forced to close it. So let's keep the conversation civil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • None.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back