Scolly Help, Do scollys recover back into their skeleton? Looking for first hand experience

ReeferSurf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Have been busy and my tank hasnt got much loving, my scolly isnt looking good and want to save it. The damage is already been done and it isn't receding anymore.

Anyone have first hand experience if Scollys will recover back into their skeleton?
Do I need to take out sandpaper and sand back the sharp skeleton?

Any advice would be grateful.

Been feeding it every 3days for last 2 weeks.

This image shows the receding tissue.

The tissue laying on it.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a "tank rescue"(10$) from an LFS many years ago. Looked way worse then yours does. It had all kinds of skeleton showing. It would expand to cover the exposed skeleton, but never completely cover it(similar to how your is).

After some time, and many weekly feedings, it recovered to it's previous glory, and even grew to be twice the size it was when I bought it.

Just give it plenty of shade(I've found they don't like bright lights), decent amount of flow, stable parameters, and a couple meaty feedings a week and it will recover.

How it was when I got it. This was after a week in my tank:
IMG_20170501_1701409.jpg

And after about a year into recovery, it's actually growing:
20180411_160520.jpg

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also heard they don't like bright lights, but mine sits in 200 par without issue. I think that's only because he was slowly acclimated though.

OP
OP
ReeferSurf

ReeferSurf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a "tank rescue"(10$) from an LFS many years ago. Looked way worse then yours does. It had all kinds of skeleton showing. It would expand to cover the exposed skeleton, but never completely cover it(similar to how your is).

After some time, and many weekly feedings, it recovered to it's previous glory, and even grew to be twice the size it was when I bought it.

Wow yours looked like it recovered nicely, though did it go back into the skeleton or is it twice its size now just laying/floating over the skeleton?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It actually grew back into the old skeleton, then grew even more past that.

Yes for the first few months it shrunk right back into itself. Once I started feeding it, is when it started to puff up more and look better.

Ewok1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Have been busy and my tank hasnt got much loving, my scolly isnt looking good and want to save it. The damage is already been done and it isn't receding anymore.

Anyone have first hand experience if Scollys will recover back into their skeleton?
Do I need to take out sandpaper and sand back the sharp skeleton?

Any advice would be grateful.

Been feeding it every 3days for last 2 weeks.

This image shows the receding tissue.

The tissue laying on it.

Yea they do recover and stop feeding it so often. I’ve had better experience feeding it less often.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can tell you first hand that they grow back and grow back quickly...I must have killed my scoly no joke 5 times on accident of course!!! This last time I was rearranging my tank and placed it next to another LPS which ATE about 1/2 the coral...Now it has almost fully recovered in less than 2 weeks. This is about a 3in piece.

clown99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I target feed the scoly, acans and gonis once a week. First I turn off EVERYTHING. Then I squirt a mix of reef roids & oyster eggs near the scoly. After a minute, it opens up and I give it a small chunk of LRS reef frenzy nano. The scoly is one big and happy boy. It is also the most expensive coral I've ever bought.

scoly2.jpg

scoly2.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back