• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Scoly Lacera Rainbow or Master?

Rodrigo Segnini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys!
I got this Scoly Lacera years ago and always was curious of what kind of name by definition of his colors patterns and price value of this coral in specific! I know till now these are classified as Scolymia Lacera different to his close cousins Scolimya Cubensis, both Caribbean Scolies but easy differentiated by size and aggressiveness being the Laceras the biggest and def more aggressive!

477F3E71-A755-4451-91FE-1FFE8E3FFFBE.jpeg 7FC72586-156F-4953-959C-7BDD5C4970DC.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5968.MOV
    13.5 MB

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not ‘masters’. I don’t know that this color pattern has a common name. I’ve seen a lot of ‘scolys’ (now Homophylli australis) with similar coloration for $100-$250 depending on size and how much contrast there is between the colors. I would think the top one would be $150, the middle $125, and the bottom one $175. Googling just now, I found several 4” pacific ‘scolys’ with similar coloration for $125-$150. Those are retail prices, I don’t know that you could expect to get that much as a hobbyist selling to other hobbyists. They may be worth more to a collector since Caribbean corals are so rare, but looks-wise there are much prettier Pacific species that are similarly shaped, sometimes for much less (Homophyllia, trachyphyllia, symphyllia, lobophyllia, acanthophyllia, Acanthestrea pachysepta, etc.). What did you pay for them? How did you acquire them?

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is illegal to sell or even transport these if they are actually Caribbean true scolymia. In fact it's illegal to own if you can't prove you had it before the ban which was long ago.

OP
OP
Rodrigo Segnini

Rodrigo Segnini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, for me are priceless, just curious how the value is imposed to an specimen based on coloration. I acquired them from a fellow reefer were I live in Curacao! They are not in the trade and I’ve not see them online apart from books and studies! That’s actually how I identified them as Scolymia Lacera! From my experience they are super aggressive in comparison to the Scolymia Cubensis, both Caribbean natives!

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, for me are priceless, just curious how the value is imposed to an specimen based on coloration. I acquired them from a fellow reefer were I live in Curacao! They are not in the trade and I’ve not see them online apart from books and studies! That’s actually how I identified them as Scolymia Lacera! From my experience they are super aggressive in comparison to the Scolymia Cubensis, both Caribbean natives!
according to an article, https://www.divecuracao.info/dive-news/illegal-coral-restoration-curacao/

it is illegal to own that coral. Now that you already have it, there is not much you can do, however for future reference you shouldn’t buy any more Atlantic coral.

OP
OP
Rodrigo Segnini

Rodrigo Segnini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
according to an article, https://www.divecuracao.info/dive-news/illegal-coral-restoration-curacao/

it is illegal to own that coral. Now that you already have it, there is not much you can do, however for future reference you shouldn’t buy any more Atlantic coral.
Yes I followed the whole specific of that situation, all done with good intention! As you could read in the article update, they have all the permits need it to do the restoration but like any other enterprise encounter bumps on the way. Specially when steeping on other people business! I’ve personally been looking to adquiere a Candy Basslet (carmabi) sold in the US by several online stores! With not luck even though is collected and exported from here! I personally got my laceras from a fellow reefer moving abroad!

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I followed the whole specific of that situation, all done with good intention! As you could read in the article update, they have all the permits need it to do the restoration but like any other enterprise encounter bumps on the way. Specially when steeping on other people business! I’ve personally been looking to adquiere a Candy Basslet (carmabi) sold in the US by several online stores! With not luck even though is collected and exported from here! I personally got my laceras from a fellow reefer moving abroad!
Cool! would you be interested in selling and shipping one of your scolymia lacera? If not, do you know anyone who can sell a lacera or cubensis?

OP
OP
Rodrigo Segnini

Rodrigo Segnini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! would you be interested in selling and shipping one of your scolymia lacera? If not, do you know anyone who can sell a lacera or cubensis?
No the ones I have will stay with me! actually have one with a baby split (did not know they do that) The reason I got them is because the person I got them from moved abroad and could not take them with him, I’ve see them ones or twice in a local a acuarium store in the last 13 years living here! And never ever spot one while snorkeling but friends of mine that dive have seen them around 20meters deep. Unlucky for me I can’t go deep due to hearth condition but I would love to see them in the wild! They also have some beautiful specimens at the Aquarium !
I would guess to be able of export a coral have to be done by an license exporter and an specific CITIES permit for them! I know this because that’s the only way to get my euphillias from the US or Europe. Sadly it’s not a huge reefing community here so the cost are super high to import them!

Back